How long does it take email replies to show up in a (sub)forum?

How long does it take email replies to show up in a (sub)forum?

mattengland
How long does it take email replies to show up in a (sub)forum?

I've email-replied to 3 topics (2 to this support forum, another to one of my test forums) this morning--the earliest one was sent 20 mins ago--and I have yet to see any of these replies in said forums.

How well/quickly do the email replies "sync" with the topics?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the inbound email queues may be synced with topics only at certain intervals (eg, via some Linux cron job), which would be less than desirable for me.  I'd rather have these "syncs" be event driven.

Thoughts?

Re: How long does it take email replies to show up in a (sub)forum?

mattengland
I have yet to see any of the above inbound email replies show up after a couple days.

I find Nabble to be a fantastic service, at least for the embed-able forums stuff.  Email-integration capability would make it even better, but thus far I can't get inbound emails to work.

Thoughts?

Re: How long does it take email replies to show up in a (sub)forum?

Will <Nabble>
Thanks for reporting this. I just tried - subscribe to a forum, make a post, received the post by email instantly, reply to in email client (gmail), my email reply showed up on nabble thread instantly.

There is no chron job. Everything should work instantly.

Please try again by creating a temp forum and subscribe me to it, I will confirm that subscription. Then you can post to it, and I will reply to your post by email. We should be able to find out if there is a bug.

Re: How long does it take email replies to show up in a (sub)forum?

mattengland
Ok, testing is good, thanks for the assistance Will.

Administrator
I just subscribed to http://n2.nabble.com/public2-f1312204.html - you can post, and we can test.

Re: How long does it take email replies to show up in a (sub)forum?

mattengland
I sent an email reply to the email I received per:
http://n2.nabble.com/Does-inbound-email-work-for-this-topic--td1330832.html
...but see no inbound email content to said topic/thread.

Will, I'm emailing you the full email (with headers) of the email I received after Cc-ing myself.

Re: How long does it take email replies to show up in a (sub)forum?

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Just for the record, I received your web post right away. I replied via email and it shows up in your forum right away. I use Gmail.

Can you try using a different email to see if you still have problem? I suspect that it has to do with your mail server, but I could be wrong.

Re: How long does it take email replies to show up in a (sub)forum?

mattengland.gmail
Ok, so my inbound email from my gmail account works.

Email replies from my mxes.net (Tuffmail) account does not.

Will, can you check this out?  Is this an overly-aggressive spam filter?  (fyi, I sent you an email copy with headers of a failed email.)

Administrator
I read the raw email header, but it doesn't tell me much. I think it's probably your email server require some strict rules. I forwarded your email to our mailing list expert but he is traveling right now, so it will be a few days before he can get back to you.

Re: How long does it take email replies to show up in a (sub)forum?

mattengland
Will <Nabble> wrote
I read the raw email header, but it doesn't tell me much. I think it's probably your email server require some strict rules. I forwarded your email to our mailing list expert but he is traveling right now, so it will be a few days before he can get back to you.
I've never heard of an SMTP server not *sending* mail to another based upon policy/rules; I'm familiar, of course, with mail servers not *receiving* mail (eg, blocking a MX level or higher) based upon policy/rules.  Could it be more likely that nabble's inbound email servers are blocking mxes.net's email?

I'll sheck with my email service support/admin folks to see what else I can find.

Re: How long does it take email replies to show up in a (sub)forum?

tomi
Your email replies that didn't show were sent using a different From address, this is why they were dropped. The From and Reply-to addresses of the subscription emails are user specific and only accept replies from the email address they were sent to. This is how we prevent spam. So you cannot share them with others, and when replying to posts by email you have to use the same From address that they were addressed to, which should be the one you used to register with Nabble.