How do you sort unpinned subforum folders?

How do you sort unpinned subforum folders?

TheMaddHattress
I'm trying to organize my sub-forums for my main forum page, but can only figure out how to do this if the sub-forums are all pinned. Any ideas?

Re: How do you sort unpinned subforum folders?

GregChapman
The order in which folders and topics appear vary a little depending on the application and which View is being used. However, generally, they are sorted with the topic or folder (i.e. sub-forum) with the most recent post appearing at the top of the screen.

For most forums this is by far the most appropriate order as it means that regular visitors become aware of new material without having to scroll the page. If you wish to vary this then pinning a topic of sub-forum is the only solution.

Applications such as Mixed, Board or Category may help give you a layout more in line with what you have in mind, but they still involve pinning to place items in anything other than the default order for a particular application and view.

Beyond that, the solution is to edit the NAML code for your application, but for most administrators that will require a request posted in Premium Support

Re: How do you sort unpinned subforum folders?

GregChapman
Re-reading the Subject line and post, I now realise you ask two rather different questions and I may not have answered the one you intended in my previous post. For me the terms "sort" and "organise" have distinctly different meanings.

"Sort" means place in an order determined by a fixed rule that can be implemented in software. In my previous post I was answering that question. (Of course, some sorts could be near impossible to implement in software as they might require a high level of artificial intelligence in the algorithm that determines the sort order.)

"Organise" means place in an arbitrary order determined by conditions and decisions that may vary over time. For organising only pinning is practical.

Or putting it another way, you need to be far more precise in your description of how you want to order your data and what the determining factors are.