How do you enhance users experience of the forum?

How do you enhance users experience of the forum?

mywaytoo
This post was updated on .
How do you enhance users experience of the forum?

I have just written a statement on my Privacy page, but I don't know about this!

Edit:
FYI... Me online and Me on Facebook BOTH needed to select to keep cookies. Although they are both Me, they don't seem to be stored as such on my forum.
Anne

Re: How do you enhance users experience of the forum?

GregChapman
mywaytoo wrote
How do you enhance users experience of the forum?
I think that is a reference to delivering adverts that are tuned to your browsing history and interests, as recorded by Google.
FYI... Me online and Me on Facebook BOTH needed to select to keep cookies. Although they are both Me, they don't seem to be stored as such on my forum.
That's because cookies are not related to web sites but to the user of the browser.

Cookies are stored along with all the other details associated with your OS login name, e.g. desktop colour schemes, which programs you have access to and any personalised settings, e.g. browsing history, past files opened, toolbar changes, etc. Switch to a different Windows user and you will see very different results.

Greg... you've got that the wrong way round, haven't you?
Anne

Re: How do you enhance users experience of the forum?

GregChapman
I don't think so.

When running a browser any cookies are stored in the area reserved for that user's personal data. That is the user of the browser itself, i.e. the person logged into Windows, or other operating system, NOT a user of some site you may be browsing.

Re: How do you enhance users experience of the forum?

mywaytoo
Yes... so if someone else uses my PC / browser under a different name, then the cookies would be different?

Anyway... Please could you check that Nabble are referring to adverts when they talk about  enhancing users experience of the forum?
Anne

Re: How do you enhance users experience of the forum?

GregChapman
mywaytoo wrote
Yes... so if someone else uses my PC / browser under a different name, then the cookies would be different?
Yes

Anyway... Please could you check that Nabble are referring to adverts when they talk about  enhancing users experience of the forum?
I'll have to wait for confirmation from one of the team for that. Hopefully one will be along shortly!

Re: How do you enhance users experience of the forum?

Hugo <Nabble>
GregChapman wrote
Greg explained things correctly on this topic (thanks, Greg!). I just don't follow the "enhancing users experience" question. Where did mywaytoo see this or why is this related to Nabble?

Re: How do you enhance users experience of the forum?

GregChapman
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
I just don't follow the "enhancing users experience" question. Where did mywaytoo see this or why is this related to Nabble?
It's part of the text on the Cookie Acceptance screen.

Re: How do you enhance users experience of the forum?

Hugo <Nabble>
Thanks, Greg. That text refers to cookies that affect user preferences, like the width of the text on the screen, show/hide avatars, etc. Those cookies are harmless and anonymous, but they are worth mentioning on that page.

Re: How do you enhance users experience of the forum?

mywaytoo
Please can I just clarify then that they are Nabble cookies and not Google cookies?
Thank you.
Anne

Re: How do you enhance users experience of the forum?

Hugo <Nabble>
Yes, those are Nabble cookies. The google cookies we have are related to analytics, as explained in the cookie acceptance page (e.g., __utma, __utmb, etc.).