How do I 'merge' 2 forums?

Absinthium
Here is the situation.
My guild in WoW had a website built. The website had a nabble embedded forum (of course).
I spent a good bit of time constructing the forum, and even had people posting things in it.
I didn't have admin privileges, but the admin did give me enough editing privs that I was able to work on the forums, IE, adding new sub forums, etc.

Later, my guild leader decided to change the name of our guild. He went through the process of creating a new guild with the new name and had all the members of the old guild move to the new one.
With this name change came a change to our guild site.
The site wasn't rebuilt but rather just had the graphics, title, and some text changed to fit in the new name.
However, somehow we lost the forums. I guess the admin embedded a new forum or something with the new guild name. Therefore, guild members accessing the guild forum via the website saw nothing but a blank forum with no structure.

I later talked to the forum admin about it and they granted me admin privs to take control of the reconstruction of the guild forums.

The thing though is that people already started posting in the new forums.

Is there a way I can merge the 2 forums? I'm looking for a way to just reconstruct the new forum structure, then moving all the posts from the old forum into the new one- with replies and all.
I'm not sure how to go about doing all this, having the new forum structured just like the old one AND keeping all the posts from both the old and new forum- all in the new one.

This is the old one
http://n2.nabble.com/Myst-Busters-Forum-f3789441.html

This is the new one
http://n3.nabble.com/END-GAME-Forum-f100822.html

As you can see there are posts in both. The myst busters one is the old one that no one is accessing anymore. I want to move all the posts to the new forum (endgame)
I know how to create all the sub forums and whatnot, so building a new forum structure is no problem. It's just getting the posts people made from Myst forums into the Endgame forums I have no clue how to do.
"You master mathematics, you master life and death."

Re: How do I 'merge' 2 forums?

☪Not_A_Admin
They both have to be on the same server before they can merge.

but thier is a trick which is long but i cant explain it now.

Re: How do I 'merge' 2 forums?

I moved the Myst Busters forum to the n3 server, where the END GAME forum is located. Now you can merge those forums.

To merge a forum:
(1) Move the Myst Busters forum under the END GAME forum: open the Myst Busters forum and click on "Options > Structure > Change parent", select "Set a New Parent" and paste the END GAME link.

(2) Merge them: open the Myst Busters forum and click again on "Options > Structure > Change parent", then select "Merge into Current Parent". This option will move all sub-forums and topics of Myst Busters to the END GAME forum.

Please let me know if you need help with this.

Re: How do I 'merge' 2 forums?

Absinthium
When you made the server change (and whatever changes), the original admin (drpeppa was the screen name I believe) lost their admin privs.
Please restore the admin privs to the original owner.
I havnt been able to attempt the merge yet because I do not have admin privs on the Myst Busters forum (which I requested from the original admin, and that is when they found out they lost their admin)
"You master mathematics, you master life and death."

Re: How do I 'merge' 2 forums?

Hugo <Nabble>
I can't find any user in the database with "drpeppa" as user name. Please try to find the real user name or give me another user that should be set as admin (maybe you?).

Re: How do I 'merge' 2 forums?

Absinthium
Aye
Try Molly-drpeppa
If that does not work then you can set me as admin as long as that allows me to pass ownership back to them.
"You master mathematics, you master life and death."

Re: How do I 'merge' 2 forums?

Hugo <Nabble>
"Molly-drpeppa" is already the owner of that forum. That user should be able to do anything with it. In any case, I added you as an admin so that you can work on this. If you want to drop this admin role, you can click on "Options > Users > Who are members?" and click on the "Remove" link alongside your user name.

Re: How do I 'merge' 2 forums?

Absinthium
I went ahead and tried to merge the forums.
I went into the Myst Busters forums, clicked options > structure > change parent, and entered the following link (end game forum URL) into the set new parent URL entry box.
http://n3.nabble.com/END-GAME-Forum-f100822.html

Then I hit save changes.

I re navigated back to the Myst forums to commence the merge into current parent option. However, it is giving me a N/A for that option.
Not sure if it's due to privs or structuring.

As for Molly-drpeppa, they still claim they are unable to perform any admin actions on either forum, and they do see that the forums state them as owner.

I'll direct them to this forum to give input on what's going on exactly.
"You master mathematics, you master life and death."

Re: How do I 'merge' 2 forums?

Hugo <Nabble>
Absinthium wrote
I re navigated back to the Myst forums to commence the merge into current parent option. However, it is giving me a N/A for that option.
Not sure if it's due to privs or structuring.
Ok, I see the problem. Only the real owner can run this action because it will delete the forum (not the posts and sub-forums). So you won't be able to do this. But there is a turnaround: move each sub-forum under the END GAME forum. You should open each sub-forum (Raiding, Meeting Topics, etc.) and click on the same "Change parent..." option. In this case you should select "Set a New Parent" instead. You will have to do this six times because there are six sub-forums. Please try that and let me know if you have issues.
Absinthium wrote
As for Molly-drpeppa, they still claim they are unable to perform any admin actions on either forum, and they do see that the forums state them as owner.

I'll direct them to this forum to give input on what's going on exactly.
Yes, please tell this user to post a question in the support forum. Such post will allow me to check if they are using the correct login or not.

Re: How do I 'merge' 2 forums?

Absinthium
This post was updated on .
Thank you very much for the assistance to both Hugo and Taveern!
I was able to successfully rebuild and merge our forums, giving our guild mates something to use as a good source of information and communication.
The tidbit of info Taveern gave me about changing the type of forum it is to better organize the posts and sub forums was great, too. It looks clean and professional!

I informed Molly to create a new topic about the ownership situation.

One more thing of concern.

The forum is set with a black background.
However, when the forum is viewed directly from our guild website (http://endgameguild.info/default.aspx, then click the forum link at the top) the forum background appears white.
How do I get this to match the forum's true background color?
I'm assuming the color is on behalf of the engame website's coding, and not the forum itself. But I could be wrong.
"You master mathematics, you master life and death."

Re: How do I 'merge' 2 forums?

David
I am the website Owner and Admin I posted a new topic this morning about the situation.

If you would be so kind as to correct this issue it will be much appreciated.

My username is: Molly-DrPeppa

Re: How do I 'merge' 2 forums?

Absinthium wrote
The forum is set with a black background.
However, when the forum is viewed directly from our guild website (http://endgameguild.info/default.aspx, then click the forum link at the top) the forum background appears white.
How do I get this to match the forum's true background color?
I'm assuming the color is on behalf of the engame website's coding, and not the forum itself. But I could be wrong.
It should be black. I can't see the forum in that web site. Please post the link to the page where it is embedded onto and I will take a look.