How do I avoid Nabble deleting my forum

mep948
I currently have embedded into a website that I am using to service my PhD. I got an email 5 days ago from Nabble saying they will delete my forum content.

How do I stop this from happening? The posts under my forum are critical to me PhD.

Could someone please help me, I only have five days left before they are deleted. Nibble does not appear to have a support phone line to ring and ask, nor can I find a direct email to get this problem rectified.

Re: How do I avoid Nabble deleting my forum

GregChapman
The warning email should contain a link to your forum. Use it to visit. There you will find your forum has a message and button to click requesting that the forum be removed from the deletion list. If you do this your forum will be safe.

On a couple of occasions I have found no such message and button. I have always assumed some other user has got there first and activated to do not delete request.

As a further protection go to: Options > Download backup.. A link to the file produced can then be posted to the Forum Recovery Reqest area of this forum.

Re: How do I avoid Nabble deleting my forum

utohva
I don't understand this post. Is there a time limit on Nabble forums that I need to be aware of?
Thanks

Re: How do I avoid Nabble deleting my forum

GregChapman
Nabble will delete inactive forums.

It will send an email to the administrator in advance warning that a forum is due to be deleted. At the same time a warning notice appears at the head of the forum. You simply click the "Do Not Delete" button in the notice and all will be well.

Unfortunately, administrator of low traffic forums frequently fail on two counts:
1. They don't visit their own forum very often so miss the forum notice. (No wonder they are low traffic!)
2. They use mail services and spam protection software that treat Nabble's emails as spam AND they don't check their spam folder frequently enough, so they miss the warning email.

Re: How do I avoid Nabble deleting my forum

mep948
Hello Greg,

No message or button was present on my forum.

Could you further explain the backup process please and how this file then ten be posted to te forum recovery request area. Where is this area? How do I complete this task?

Re: How do I avoid Nabble deleting my forum

GregChapman
The message appears as a banner on a pale cream background across the top of the forum and contains the "Do not delete" button. You cannot miss it, if it is there.

My understanding, but I have no documentation to support this, is that once the banner is set by Nabble, anyone visiting the forum will see the message and be able to click on the "Do not delete" button. So it is possible that the administrator may get the email from Nabble, but someone else gets to the forum first, clicks the button. The banner will no longer appear for anyone else, including the administrator, but will have been removed from the scheduled lists of forums to be deleted.

There have been one or two occasions when I have received a "scheduled for deletion" email, and have visited the forum in question to find no banner. As the forums have not been deleted I have to assume what I describe above is true.

In addition to backups created as part of the scheduled deletion of inactive forums, any administrator will have a "Download backup" item under the "Options" menu on their forum's home page. On clicking that you will be told that generation of the backup is in progress and that you will be sent an email when complete. The email includes a link to the backup file. So you at any time you can protect your forum by grabbing a copy of a backup file and storing it locally on your computer.

To get a forum restored simply post a link to the backup at:
http://support.nabble.com/Forum-Recovery-request-f7592522.html
(This is a sub-forum of this "Free Support" forum, found under the various foreign language sub-forums)
Check out that sub-forum You'll see that most people simply quote from the email they receive and Hugo does the rest within 48 hours!

Re: How do I avoid Nabble deleting my forum

utohva
Greg,
Thanks for the excellent reply. Now I know what to watch for. Right now the forum is on another server (where I have another site) while it is being developed and the people for whom I am doing the site can make changes. Later, I'll register a domain for them and move everything. So it won't get a lot of use for the next 30 - 60 days.

THANK you!
​​
Mike

UT OHV Association Web Administrator

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 9:28 AM, GregChapman [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nabble will delete inactive forums.

It will send an email to the administrator in advance warning that a forum is due to be deleted. At the same time a warning notice appears at the head of the forum. You simply click the "Do Not Delete" button in the notice and all will be well.

Unfortunately, administrator of low traffic forums frequently fail on two counts:
1. They don't visit their own forum very often so miss the forum notice. (No wonder they are low traffic!)
2. They use mail services and spam protection software that treat Nabble's emails as spam AND they don't check their spam folder frequently enough, so they miss the warning email.
Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!

http://support.nabble.com/How-do-I-avoid-Nabble-deleting-my-forum-tp7597711p7597724.html
To unsubscribe from How do I avoid Nabble deleting my forum, click here.
NAML

--

​​
Mike Blevins