How can I remove an Uploaded file?

mywaytoo
This post was updated on .
I have a file that is appearing on Google and I don't want it there... Please can I remove it... Thank you
FILE REMOVED...

Anne

Re: How can I remove an Uploaded file?

GregChapman
Nabble does have some facility for telling search engine not to index an entire forum, but not a specific post or link on a forum. So you need to hide it from Google another way. Link it from a sub-forum that requires registration to access it. Google's robots have no facility to register so will not find it.

Re: How can I remove an Uploaded file?

mywaytoo
Thank you Greg, but I want to remove it altogether.

I'm planning on reorganising everything soon with a new website and proper Store.
Anne

Re: How can I remove an Uploaded file?

GregChapman
If you mean remove it from Google, then all you can do is wait.

The next time Google spiders your site it will fail to find the link that was there before and remove it from its index of your site.

If you mean remove it from your forum, then just delete the link to the file on your forum. That will make the file inaccessible and in its next housekeeping cycle Nabble will detect an orphan file and remove it from its servers.

Re: How can I remove an Uploaded file?

mywaytoo
My free pdf files are always being taken / accessed / linked to / whatever by various directories. It may not be me who is accessing it...

Don't worry... I'll move it to a different folder on my website... the whole lot's going soon anyway...
Anne

Re: How can I remove an Uploaded file?

mywaytoo
PLEASE REMOVE THIS FILE FROM NABBLE FORUM....... ASAP.........
Thank you.
Anne

Re: How can I remove an Uploaded file?

GregChapman
As I've already explained - while you keep the link to it in the first post in this topic then Nabble will keep it. The solution is in your hands. Edit your post to remove the link.

I've removed it...
Anne

It's still there...
Anne

Re: How can I remove an Uploaded file?

GregChapman
But if you've removed the link to it how do you, or anyone else, know it's there or reach it?

Are you sure there is no other link to the file in question?

My understanding is that  Nabble House keeping will remove an unlinked file in it's normal house keeping cycle. Perhaps Pedro/Hugo could confirm.

Re: How can I remove an Uploaded file?

How did you find it?

Re: How can I remove an Uploaded file?

mywaytoo
I googled... nabble dice cards

There are 2 results:
1. at Nabble,
2. taken from Nabble by ebookbrowse, the thieves who steal pdf files...

Edit... that's using google.co.uk
Anne

Re: How can I remove an Uploaded file?

Pedro
Your file is here: http://support.nabble.com/Re-Images-sent-by-mail-td6457817.html . You can delete this post if you want.

RE: How can I remove an Uploaded file?

mywaytoo
Hello Pedro,

I have deleted one post of mine, but I cannot remove the second one at http://support.nabble.com/Images-sent-by-mail-tp6456540p6460565.html because it is not my post.

Please can you remove it for me ?

I still don't understand where the pdf file itself is... Is there a copy of it stored somewhere on Nabble ?

Thank you.

Anne.

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 14:44:11 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: How can I remove an Uploaded file?

Your file is here: http://support.nabble.com/Re-Images-sent-by-mail-td6457817.html . You can delete this post if you want.

http://support.nabble.com/How-can-I-remove-an-Uploaded-file-tp7582661p7584676.html
To unsubscribe from How can I remove an Uploaded file?, click here.
NAML
Anne

RE: How can I remove an Uploaded file?

GregChapman
Hi Anne,
mywaytoo wrote
I still don't understand where the pdf file itself is... Is there a copy of it stored somewhere on Nabble ?
Yes!

The file's URL is that shown in Camo's message. He clearly took that address from the link in your deleted message and it is this that Google still picks up.

Unfortunately, this is another demonstration of the old addage that "once on the Internet - always on the Internet". I can't see any way that Nabble could stop this occurring without stopping a vast range of legitimate uses of links and posting URLs.

Given the contents of Camo's post I must assume that his post was entirely legitimate at the time he made it. It's just that either you didn't appreciate the later value of the file or all the implications of making your deleted post.

RE: How can I remove an Uploaded file?

mywaytoo
PEDRO... Please help me... no offence Greg, but please butt out...

mywaytoo wrote
I have deleted one post of mine, but I cannot remove the second one at http://support.nabble.com/Images-sent-by-mail-tp6456540p6460565.html because it is not my post.
Please can you remove it for me ?
I still don't understand where the pdf file itself is... Is there a copy of it stored somewhere on Nabble ?
Thank you.
Anne.
Your file is here: xxxx . You can delete this post if you want.
I AM NOT TRYING TO BLAME NABBLE FOR ANYTHING... I just want to get rid of the file...

Anne.
Anne

We cannot remove it from google. But as you can see, your pdf is not there since you removed the message.

RE: How can I remove an Uploaded file?

mywaytoo
Pedro... I know that you cannot remove anything from Google...

I have just uploaded a jpg from my PC onto my forum thus: http://knitplaylearn-blog-and-forum.977845.n3.nabble.com/Testing-Upload-tp4022684.html

Is that file stored somewhere on Nabble ?
1. Yes... Where ?
2. No... From where is it accessed ?

Grrrrrh... Sorry, I've chosen a Customer Only area... but you can look in it, can't you ?
Anne

RE: How can I remove an Uploaded file?

GregChapman
mywaytoo wrote
Is that file stored somewhere on Nabble ?
1. Yes... Where ?
Your browser will tell you:

Internet Explorer:
1. Right-click over image.
2. Select Properties.  (The dialogue shows the URL.)

(To use it elsewhere you can In click on the image URL then hit CTRL-A (to select it all) followed by CTRL-C (to copy it). You can then paste it where you will. Camo will have used a very similar method to paste the address of your PDF file. Other browsers make it a little easier!

Firefox:
1. Right-click over image.
2. Either click "View image". (The address bar reveals the URL)
or click "Copy Image Location" and paste the result where you can read it

Chrome:
1. Right-click over image.
2. Either click "Open image in new tab". (The address bar reveals the URL)
or click "Copy Image URL" and paste the result where you can read it

RE: How can I remove an Uploaded file?

mywaytoo
The file seems to have gone completely now... If I google 'nabble dice cards', then 2 links appear... Nabble, and that thieving company, ebookbrowse... but both say that the file was not found... EXCELLENT... It took a while but we got there... thank you.
Anne