Highlighting

Graham Perrin
This post was updated on .
A few days ago I thought I had stumbled upon a new Nabble approach to highlighting some types of message:

Then I realised that the misplaced highlights were the result of pages not entirely loaded:

Here's how the highlights, which relate to a search string, should appear:

The accidental placement of the highlights was thought provoking, coinciding with this topic.

I do like a highlight on the date. I do like toggling at far left. A few thoughts, pros and cons:

1. reduces my confusion when chronologies are mixed-up in threaded view (YMMV)

2. clicks towards the left draw attention to the subtree shift feature (before this coincidence, I never realised that the sidebar had any function)

3. the CLOSE feature at extreme right is, from a Mac perspective, on the wrong side

4. toggling at extreme left is more akin to disclosing/closing in Finder list view and in Windows Explorer

5. a slight down side: second and subsequent clicks on the same point (without moving the mouse) are not perfect toggles (disclose/close); appearance of the sidebar shifts the date etc. a few pixels to the right.

If that glitch (5) could be overcome, then I would enjoy

• highlights (for logged in users only) drawing attention to un-read topics and messages

• only when search highlighting is not effective.

In the future I might spin this off to become an RFE. An option, not a default (I wouldn't expect everyone to enjoy highlights) .For the moment it's more, a note to self.

Regards
Graham

Re: Highlighting un-read topics and messages

Hugo (Nabble)
Graham Perrin wrote
Then I realised that the misplaced highlights were the result of pages not entirely loaded...
No, this sentence is false. The highlight is displayed when the post matches your search. In that case - where most of the posts were highlighted - all of them matched the search criteria (the subject line of those posts have the "Very confused why admins cannot..." text).

We highlight the date area when the post is collapse in order to indicate that that post matches your search.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Highlighting topics that match a search

Graham Perrin
Hugo Teixeira wrote
The highlight is displayed when the post matches your search. … We highlight the date area when the post is collapse in order to indicate that that post matches your search.
Oh, that's smart. Thanks for clarifying.

(The status Failed to open page in one of the shots threw me.)