Help with having my forum be mobile friendly

Help with having my forum be mobile friendly

Nikki246
Currently my mobile forum looks like the image shown, I want to know how to make it mobile friendly. I clicked mobile friendly when i set it up, but it still shows up as being too wide. I inserted it into a weebly site- so does this have something to do with it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated of how to get it to be mobile friendly and fit within the screen.

Re: Help with having my forum be mobile friendly

Here are a couple of images from my forums:

Screenshot Screenshot

These images come from a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini (4" screen) and both forums have the two "Responsiveness" options checked:
http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/forum.php
(Taken from the Mixed application forum home page. It is losing the last view column and definitely works better in landscape orientation.)

http://www.muddybroadbluesband.co.uk/forum.html
(Taken from a Forum app sub-forum of a Category app, that seems OK in portrait.)

However, in both cases I recall that I tweaked some of the macros which, for example, may account for the different positioning of the search box. I'll try to make time in the next day or two to see if the tweaks may have an impact on the different displays or if it is down to use of different application types.

Re: Help with having my forum be mobile friendly

GregChapman
Looks like the issues with the SeaHawk forum display are, in part, down to my tweaks to the macros/styling that control the position of the search box in the forum.

If you squeeze the width of the window on a desktop computer you'll see that as the search box approaches the "Options" link, initially, that item drops below the search box. But squeeze tighter and  it returns to the left margin.

You will also notice that it is while it is in the lowered position that you begin to lose the "Views" column off the right of the screen. This happens in two stages. while there desktop-style horizontal menu is visible and again on the narrower display when the mobile-style three-bar menu button is visible.

I am sure this is caused by my tweaks to Nabble's standard code that drops the search box onto the same line as the left-aligned main forum menu options.

Mind you, I'm still not clear what this means for you. However, as my SeaHawk forum and yours, both have some fairly long words in the first column in the main forum table, I suspect that it is related to the way that column word-wraps and that means that a solution will be difficult to find.

Re: Help with having my forum be mobile friendly

Nikki246
is there any way you can help me with the macros so that it fits within the screen space?

Re: Help with having my forum be mobile friendly

GregChapman
I expressed myself badly.

The macros I referred to control the position of the search box in the forum with the Blue background, and while these do appear to have a side-effect on my forum that makes the main forum table overflow the screen, your forum does not have those tweaks so is not affected by them.

On checking again, my second forum (with the dark background) has no changes to the standard macros and it does display fully inside the screen.

Looking again at your example, I think that the problem relates to the techniques used to embed your forum in the main site. You need to understand why your forum is being forced to display in an area that is wider than the screen.

In other words this is not an issue with Nabble but of how you have set up your main site. You need support with that to cure the problem.