Help with Domain Name Change

Coleen_Astalos
So what did we do wrong in the process of the CNAME/Domain name change?

Here is what we see for the CNAME record:

Does that look right?   Should I be able to go to http://forum.sudsol.org and see something?  I'm getting a page not found when I go there (and it's been over 48 hours)

Coleen

Re: Help with Domain Name Change

Hugo <Nabble>
I guess the Alias should be only "forum", not "forum.sudsol.org". You may try that and see if it works. To test the changes, you can "ping forum.sudsol.org" and see if it find the server.

Re: Help with Domain Name Change

Coleen_Astalos
Before trying to change it again (and messing our site up like we did when we tried before), I tried the pinging.  It gave me ping responses to anything that ended in sudsol.org (even things I knew didn't exist like dummy.sudsol.org).  So that doesn't work.

I did find this website to lookup CNAME records's for a domain name: http://www.mxtoolbox.com/CNAMELookup.aspx which is quite handy.

I'm getting No Records Exist, so I guess we'll try the just "forum" and see what happens (if I can get my partner to have the guts to try again!  She's gun shy with these types of things and having the problems we had before make it hard for me to convince her!)

Thanks,
Coleen

Re: Help with Domain Name Change

Coleen_Astalos
Since we had such problem with this, I thought I'd share how we finally got it to work incase others are having similar problems.

We purchased our domain name thru Network Solutions - so we have access to adding a CNAME there - which we were doing and it was NOT working and it kept taking our main site down - not good!

We have our sudsol.org site hosted by inmotion hosting.  There is access to change the CNAME record there also and that is apparently where we needed to be doing it.  Once we did it there, it worked fine, didn't interrupt our main site at all.

Coleen