Harvey's Questions

Re: Harvey's Questions

Harvey
Thank you for this.

I thought about this overnight, and as this is our most crucial time of year for audience building (leading up to ski season) it's a big opportunity.

I will keep it very simple to minimize your time.  One treatment for each homepage (forum, newspaper) and one standard treatment for individual posts (ignoring the sub forum issue).

I'll post this in the next day or so.

Re: Harvey's Questions

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
If you really need this for now, we can try to give you a custom solution, but certainly templates will be best for your case. So think about this and let us know if you want to wait a few more months or if you want some customizations for now.
Hugo thanks for your help with this.  I will keep it as simple as possible.

* * *

I currently have two applications. The Forum is here:

http://forum.myurl.com/

I would like the title tags for the forum to appear like this:

Forum Homepage:

(TEXT REMOVED) | (TEXT REMOVED)

Every other Forum Page:

(Post Title) | (TEXT REMOVED)

* * *

The newspaper is here:

http://mag.MYURL.com/

I would like the title tags for the newspaper (called The Magazine) to appear like this:

Newspaper Homepage:

(TEXT REMOVED) | (TEXT REMOVED)

Every other Newspaper Page:

(Post Title) | (TEXT REMOVED)

* * *

In both of these cases I am assuming that you can dynamically load the individual (post title) into the title tag as you are currently doing that the way it is set up now.

Also note that there is one space between the vertical separator and each side of the tag.

I will figure out how to deal with subforum/subcategories when templates arrives.

* * *

If I could ask for one other change to the magazine, I won't ask for another html/templates type change before templates is issued. I swear!

I would like to change the word "Subcategories" to the word "Regions".

And I would like to change the word "People" to the word "Contributors".

Thank you very much.

EDIT: HUGO I REMOVED SPECIFICS FROM THIS POST - as it is coming up higher in Google search for my site name that my site is. If you need details from what I removed please let me know.

Re: Harvey's Questions

Hugo... any update on this?

Re: Harvey's Questions

Hugo <Nabble>
We are finishing this work. You should have this solution installed today, except for post pages (we are still templating the post pages and custom solutions can only apply to templates). I will keep you updated.

Re: Harvey's Questions

Harvey
Thanks Hugo. I didn't realize it was involved. Really appreciate the effort.

Re: Harvey's Questions

Hugo ... it also looks like multiple search engine results are created by the different view types:

(Forum Name) - (Post Title)

(Forum Name) - (Post Title) / List

(Forum Name) - (Post Title) / Threaded

Not sure if this is necessary? If the URLs are different for each view type then I guess you'd have to have it, so you don't end up with duplicate title tags for different URLs.

If so this would further reinforce my desire to limit forum members to the Classic view type. It could (?) keep the addition search engine results from showing up.

PS it's great having the word "Nabble" out of the most recent results. Really appreciate it.

Re: Harvey's Questions

I think I'm starting to understand how you guys are working. Is it fair to say you are working on scalable (ie to help all Nabble users) on the title tags issue?  That certainly makes sense. And it would mean that title tags are fully customizable so you actually didn't need me to post my specific tags...

I noticed that it seems like the word "Nabble" is gone from all title tags, not just mine.

Is that what you are thinking?

Re: Harvey's Questions

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey44 wrote
I noticed that it seems like the word "Nabble" is gone from all title tags, not just mine.
We did this because it makes sense for all users. The Nabble footer is enough for everyone to realize that the app is provided by Nabble.

Re: Harvey's Questions

Harvey44 wrote
it also looks like multiple search engine results are created by the different view types:

(Forum Name) - (Post Title)

(Forum Name) - (Post Title) / List

(Forum Name) - (Post Title) / Threaded
This shouldn't happen. Only the Classic view should be indexed. I will create a task for this and fix it.

Re: Harvey's Questions

We just released this change for your forum and magazine. Remember that post pages still show the old title because we haven't finished its template yet. This should be available in some days.

Please take a look and let me know if those titles are correct.

Re: Harvey's Questions

Harvey
Hugo ... I realize this is only an aesthetic change, but I would like all my title tags to use the vertical line separator like this:

The New York Ski Blog | Harvey Road Forum

not the dash like this:

The New York Ski Blog - Harvey Road Forum

to keep it consistent with the rest my site.

I will keep an eye out for the Post page changes over the next few days.

* * *

Also in my newspaper I would like to change the word "Subcategories" to the word "Regions".

And I would like to change the word "People" to the word "Contributors".

Thank you very much.

Re: Harvey's Questions

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey44 wrote
not the dash like this:

The New York Ski Blog - Harvey Road Forum
We made the change, please take a look. If you see dashes again, please post the permalink of the page so that I can take a look.
Harvey44 wrote
Also in my newspaper I would like to change the word "Subcategories" to the word "Regions".

And I would like to change the word "People" to the word "Contributors".
We are working on a solution for this.

Re: Harvey's Questions

Harvey
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Harvey44 wrote
not the dash like this:

The New York Ski Blog - Harvey Road Forum
We made the change, please take a look. If you see dashes again, please post the permalink of the page so that I can take a look.
Still seeing dashes both here:

http://mag.nyskiblog.com/

and

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/

EDIT: I notice that if I REMOVE the auto-embed redirect - I get the proper Title tag on the nabble page, but not my embedded page.

Re: Harvey's Questions

I notice that if I REMOVE the auto-embed redirect - I get the proper Title tag on the nabble page, but not my embedded page.

Re: Harvey's Questions

We fixed the problem. Please try again and let me know if you still have issues.

Re: Harvey's Questions

Harvey
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
We fixed the problem. Please try again and let me know if you still have issues.
Both home pages are working as hoped.

Will keep my eyes on the individual post pages and the other changes to the homepage.

As always thank you very much.

Re: Harvey's Questions

Hugo .. this may be a related issue, and your fix for the List/Threaded appearing in title tags may solve this problem but thought you should see this too. The page number appearing in the title tag:

Re: Harvey's Questions

Hugo <Nabble>
The page number should be displayed in the title, so this is correct. I changed the code to show a pipe separator so that it can look cleaner (this will be available only after the next release).

Re: Harvey's Questions

Harvey
So each page of a thread has a different URL.  Makes sense.

Pipe separator is definitely the way to go.

Good stuff.

On 10/19/10, Hugo <Nabble> [via Nabble Support]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The page number should be displayed in the title, so this is correct. I
> changed the code to show a pipe separator so that it can look cleaner (this
> will be available only after the next release).
>
> -----
> Official Nabble Administrator - we never ask for passwords.

Sent from my mobile device

Harvey Road: www.NYSkiBlog.com
The Forum: forum.NYSkiBlog.com
The Magazine: mag.NYSkiBlog.com

Re: Harvey's Questions

Harvey44 wrote
Also in my newspaper I would like to change the word "Subcategories" to the word "Regions".

And I would like to change the word "People" to the word "Contributors".

Thank you very much.
We need a week to deliver this feature to you (mainly because it applies only to your maganize, not both apps). Is this delay an issue for you?
123