HUGO - BACKUP

ClaudeMobetta
Howdy HUGO -

Has anyone ever used the Nabble >Options >Download Backup on their site?
If so - how did it go?
As I see it - It goes like this: >Log in >Options >Download Backup >Generate Backup files
Then I get an email from (where?) To download the file -
THEN WHAT? - I go to the JdbcPgBackup Tool and WHAT?

I'm afraid to use it and maybe lose my site...

Just in case it's needed - Could Nabble make a temp backup for my site - while I try the >Options >Download Backup ????

I wish Nabble would build a backup on their side -
It would be a good income producer -
They keep saying - for several years - they are working on a Backup - but I don't see any progress....

It’s not just fer me losing my website - But hundreds of folks rely on LOA fer help... Those are the ones I worry about.

For the last year - my site has been running sweet...

Thanks Hugo fer any....

Claude - Salem Oregon

http://loa-computer-help-plus.2634207.n2.nabble.com/

Re: HUGO - BACKUP

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi Claude, the backup feature shouldn't harm your forum. You can go ahead and try it. Today I saved a backup of your forum and it took just a few seconds (the file size is 14Mb). That feature is just a way for users to get their content out of Nabble and import it elsewhere. The JdbcPgBackup tool was the solution we found to get the data out of the main Nabble database. You shouldn't worry about it unless you want to import that data into another database system.
ClaudeMobetta wrote
I wish Nabble would build a backup on their side -
It would be a good income producer -
They keep saying - for several years - they are working on a Backup - but I don't see any progress....
We do have daily backups of all servers for FREE. All Nabble sites are replicated to another server and backups are saved in the US and Canada. So there is no need to worry at this point.

Please let us know if you have questions, comments or concerns.

Re: HUGO - BACKUP

ClaudeMobetta
Hugo -

That’s great -

If my site got deleted by accident -
You are saying you have a BACKUP COPY of it?
Correct?
I don’t care ifn the Back Up copy were a year old -
That’s mobetta than nothing..

It been a worry on my pea brain fer a long time -
Don’t want to disappoint the many users of my site...

I don’t anticipate any future problems  - but never know...
That’s terrific - you guys are the best...

Goin on 4 years with you guys -
I sur made the rite choice with Nabble way back then ...

PS:
I have learned most problems wif my site/Nabble has been due to using my AOL browser...
AOL dosen't always play good together... so I switch browsers..

Claude

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
[...]

GregChapman
Hi Claude,
ClaudeMobetta wrote
If my site got deleted by accident -
You are saying you have a BACKUP COPY of it?
Correct?
I don't think that's quite what Hugo is saying. He says:
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
We do have daily backups of all servers for FREE. All Nabble sites are replicated to another server and backups are saved in the US and Canada.
As I understand it, that means that should Nabble have a major problem with any of their servers they can recover their entire database from those backups.

However, from other replies given by Hugo, that does NOT mean that they will be able to recover an individual forum from those server backups for FREE if at all. I imagine that once a successful server backup is completed then earlier backups are deleted. So, if an error was discovered in a single forum, especially caused by one of their users deleting a forum by accident, then that forum could only be recovered if every other forum on their system was also reset. Clearly that would be unacceptable to all other users of Nabble. Also, if the error was discovered only after a period longer than between two backups, then the forum would be completely lost from Nabble's system.

When Hugo said:
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Today I saved a backup of your forum and it took just a few seconds (the file size is 14Mb). That feature is just a way for users to get their content out of Nabble and import it elsewhere.
He means that if you did the same for your individual forum then you would be able to send that 14Mb file to Nabble and they would be able to import it into their system and recreate all the content of your forum. That way you can protect your individual forum from disaster created by you or one of your users. (Obviously, this is very different from recovery from a disaster to the entire contents of one of Nabble's servers.)

However, again from replies that I have seen Hugo make within Free Support, should that import of your personal backup be necessary then it would have to be to a new address. That means that any internal links within the forum would no longer work as the permalinks would have changed.

I dare say that should you be able to provide a personal backup file of your forum and are paying for Premium Support then a more customised recovery could be made.

In short, to protect an individual forum from user error at that forum, you should regularly use the facility at: Options > Download Backup

I am sure Hugo will be able to confirm, clarify or correct any wrong understanding of mine.

Re: HUGO - BACKUP

Hugo <Nabble>
Thanks, Greg, your thoughts are correct. The server backups are indeed used to restore the whole server, not individual sites. Restoring an individual site out of those files requires many hours of work and should only be done in extreme cases. I don't really believe in "accidental deletion" because Nabble shows a lot of warnings before the user clicks on the delete button. So you should only add to your site administrators that you can trust. Of course you can always download regular backups of your forum and keep that information safe in another location.
GregChapman wrote
However, again from replies that I have seen Hugo make within Free Support, should that import of your personal backup be necessary then it would have to be to a new address. That means that any internal links within the forum would no longer work as the permalinks would have changed.
I have good news about this. Now it is possible to restore site backups to their previous IDs and keep everything just like they were before the deletion.

Re: HUGO - BACKUP

ClaudeMobetta
I have good news about this. Now it is possible to restore site backups to their previous IDs and keep everything just like they were before the deletion.
So do I STILL NEED to do a >Options >Back UP - now?
I will git a email with a (BACK UP) file ? Correct
In case of deleted fourn -
I then send this FILE to Nabblke - and they put it all back in place?
Is that how it goes?

Thanks fer yur help
Claude

Re: HUGO - BACKUP

Hugo <Nabble>
ClaudeMobetta wrote
So do I STILL NEED to do a >Options >Back UP - now?
You can do this once in a while (e.g., every two months or so) as an extra security solution.
ClaudeMobetta wrote
I will git a email with a (BACK UP) file ? Correct
You will get an email with a link to download the file.
ClaudeMobetta wrote
In case of deleted fourn -
I then send this FILE to Nabblke - and they put it all back in place?
Is that how it goes?
Yes. If something bad happens to your forum, we can restore the backup for you.

Re: HUGO - BACKUP

ClaudeMobetta
Hugo -

OK - Then I will do a >Options >Back Up - NOW
Ya said ya did a back up of my site a few dazes ago -
So if t his Back Up goes bad - you coud use that back up to restore my fies -
CORRECT -
I  have never seen anyone comment or do an >Options >Basck Up on Nabble.......

Thanks - Claude

Re: HUGO - BACKUP

Hugo <Nabble>
ClaudeMobetta wrote
OK - Then I will do a >Options >Back Up - NOW
Ya said ya did a back up of my site a few dazes ago -
So if t his Back Up goes bad - you coud use that back up to restore my fies -
CORRECT -
Yes.

Re: HUGO - BACKUP

ClaudeMobetta
Hugo -

I did the Backup Up thing - and here is what I got:

Dear user,

Here is your backup file:

http://n2.nabble.com/backups/site_2634207_xxxxxxxxxx.zip

Sincerely,
The Nabble team
Free Embeddable Forum powered by Nabble
http://www.nabble.com/

I scrambled the last 10 digits here - just in case...

Could it be harmful - in the wrong hands????

OK so now what do I do with it - if I needed to fix a deleted Nabble Site - LOA?
Just keep it fer now?

Thanks Claude

Re: HUGO - BACKUP

Hugo <Nabble>
ClaudeMobetta wrote
I scrambled the last 10 digits here - just in case...
Well done.
ClaudeMobetta wrote
Could it be harmful - in the wrong hands????
That zip file contains all email addresses registered to your forum. A malicious person could use that information to send spam, etc. It is better to keep that zip in a safe place.
ClaudeMobetta wrote
OK so now what do I do with it - if I needed to fix a deleted Nabble Site - LOA?
Just keep it fer now?
Yes, just save it in your computer or pen drive.

Re: HUGO - BACKUP

ClaudeMobetta
Hugo -

OK - Thanks - ya'll
Sorry to make a mountain out of something so small -
But not small if I lost my site -

So I plan to make a Back Up every 3 months -

Thanks again -
Claude - Salem Oregon -