HTTPS

Harvey
What are plans to move Nabble to HTTPS?

Re: HTTPS

GregChapman
It is not planned that Nabble will support SSL/HTTPS.

As will be seen in this combined set of posts made on 19-20 September 2017, Nabble's lead programmer explained how Nabble is to be replaced by Blasma, a new embeddable forum product.
Franklin <Nabble> wrote
A Nabble User wrote
I'm curious what kinds of changes you have in the works.  We're a pretty heavy user of Nabble and would be happy to collaborate on changes that might improve the overall features & benefits of Nabble.
Right now I am just trying to make Nabble stable enough to that I can then work on other things like Blasma.  This mostly involves removing features that cause trouble.
... The one major shortfall that I hope doesn't lead to the demise of Nabble is the ability to run on SSL...
Blasma will support SSL.  And Blasma will be completely open source, so I hope others contribute and add features.  I will initially focus on the features that I personally use and that doesn't include the email features you mentioned, but features like that should be added over time.  People will be able to move from Nabble to Blasma whenever they want.  One other difference is that with Blasma, each forum will have its own copy of the code and the admin can upgrade whenever he wants, so code changes will cause less problems.
Interesting.  Is there somewhere I can learn more about Blasma?
Not yet.  I want to work on one thing at a time.  I will get to Blasma in about 2 months.  Then I will post about it here.
See the topic from which these comments were taken.

This post has been copied to GregHelp. I will update that post when I see further news anywhere on Nabble Support. Feel free to subscribe to that post.

Re: HTTPS

What is the time frame for the switch?

Will our forums go down or continue to run?

Will the format of the database change?

Re: HTTPS

GregChapman
I can only answer the second of them at this time. That post said:
Franklin <Nabble> wrote
People will be able to move from Nabble to Blasma whenever they want.
Apart from the timing issue, which now needs updating, the other question I was left with from that post was some explanation for this sentence:
One other difference is that with Blasma, each forum will have its own copy of the code
That made me wonder if one would need one's own hosting space in order to run Blasma or whether there were plans to adopt the WordPress model, with a hosted version with customisations limited to "Themes" (similar to wordpress.com but with fewer customisations available) and the source available to download and host in your own space (similar to wordpress.org)

Perhaps it was intended to keep Nabble going, as the equivalent of the wordpress.com, with no further development, but supply the migration tools to allow easy transfer to your own copy of Blasma, for those with the hosting space to use it.

Re: HTTPS

Harvey
I can't find any info on blasma online?

Re: HTTPS

GregChapman
There was a brief period when a Nabble forum, blasma.com, was mentioned on the Nabble Support forum and a link provided on the nabble.com home page. I, and one or two other regular posters here, did post on that forum.

At the time it was highly active, with much progress being reported from one day to the next, so much so that I couldn't keep up with the work others were doing, so decided I couldn't offer anything that would help speed development and ceased posting.

Then it went quiet. Then it went offline. It looked as if the domain registration had lapsed. It has since reappeared but has been unused since 2016.

Content is fairly technical but reading through it may give you a flavour of what is hoped to be achieved, but obviously it won't give any indication of the current situation or time scales for release.

Re: HTTPS

Harvey
Any update on this?

Users are getting security messages it is causing issues.

Re: HTTPS

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
We don't know when Nabble will be switched to HTTPS because we have Blasma ongoing and it is intended to replace Nabble.

Re: HTTPS

Harvey
Will blasma be HTTPS?

Re: HTTPS

Israel <Nabble>
Nabble eventually will support HTTPS, but we are unsure about that. Blasma will take a long time to be finished.

Re: HTTPS

Harvey
My users are concerned about the security warnings from browsers.  I know it is not really that big a deal if you aren't taking credit card info, but it is a lot of work to try explain it over and over. Any one else having issues?

We moved the rest of our site over in a few minutes. Is it hard to do for Nabble?

Re: HTTPS

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
Hello Harvey,
As you said we don't ask for credit card information because of that we don't have big issues related to the HTTP protocol. It's not hard for us but unfortunately It's out of our plans support HTTPS protocol, at least for now.

Re: HTTPS

Harvey
Unfortunately Google cares.

Re: HTTPS

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
Yes, we agree with you at this. We hope to do this in the next few weeks.

Re: HTTPS

Harvey
I'm confused.  Earlier in this thread it seemed far off.

A few weeks?

Re: HTTPS

Hi Israel,

Israel <Nabble> wrote
Nabble eventually will support HTTPS, but we are unsure about that. Blasma will take a long time to be finished.
I am becoming confused.

In September last year Blasma was to be in development again by November and was to be the definitive https/SSL solution and Nabble was only to have stability issued resolved. However, it is clear that Nabble is back in development from the minor improvements I notice from time to time (notably in improved display of forums on mobile devices). However, as a result, new issues are appearing.

The most recent statement from a Nabble Support Administrator about https/SSL was this:
http://support.nabble.com/SSL-compatibility-on-embedded-forums-might-be-fixed-soon-td7600510.html
but for reasons I do not understand the topic was not pinned so is now "lost" to most users.

It would be good to have a set of pinned and locked topic setting the current situation regarding these related issues that were updated as the situation changes:

  1. Plans (with dates) for support of https/SSL within Nabble
  2. Link to a topic that explains the process for establishing a "forum.mysite.com" in which to embed a Nabble Forum
    At the same time unpinning the existing topic:
    http://support.nabble.com/Note-to-embedded-forum-owners-td7599436i20.html
    which contains too much user specific information.
  3. Add a topic that explains a similar solution (if there is one) to #2 for those who do not have a custom domain
  4. Estimate for Balsma's release date

Any comments and questions could be posted in separate topics which would then fall down the list as they got increasingly out of date.

Alternatively, post something currently definitive so I can update this post:
http://greghelp.991552.n3.nabble.com/Nabble-and-SSL-https-td4012780.html

Re: HTTPS

Harvey
I almost hate to post this because I feel it will cause a two more months of delay on this crucial issue:

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/chrome-browser-https/253801/

Let's get it done Nabble.
HTTPS Please!