HTTPS

Harvey
What are plans to move Nabble to HTTPS?

Re: HTTPS

GregChapman
It is not planned that Nabble will support SSL/HTTPS.

As will be seen in this combined set of posts made on 19-20 September 2017, Nabble's lead programmer explained how Nabble is to be replaced by Blasma, a new embeddable forum product.
Franklin <Nabble> wrote
A Nabble User wrote
I'm curious what kinds of changes you have in the works.  We're a pretty heavy user of Nabble and would be happy to collaborate on changes that might improve the overall features & benefits of Nabble.
Right now I am just trying to make Nabble stable enough to that I can then work on other things like Blasma.  This mostly involves removing features that cause trouble.
... The one major shortfall that I hope doesn't lead to the demise of Nabble is the ability to run on SSL...
Blasma will support SSL.  And Blasma will be completely open source, so I hope others contribute and add features.  I will initially focus on the features that I personally use and that doesn't include the email features you mentioned, but features like that should be added over time.  People will be able to move from Nabble to Blasma whenever they want.  One other difference is that with Blasma, each forum will have its own copy of the code and the admin can upgrade whenever he wants, so code changes will cause less problems.
Interesting.  Is there somewhere I can learn more about Blasma?
Not yet.  I want to work on one thing at a time.  I will get to Blasma in about 2 months.  Then I will post about it here.
See the topic from which these comments were taken.

This post has been copied to GregHelp. I will update that post when I see further news anywhere on Nabble Support. Feel free to subscribe to that post.
Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!
GregHelp - Building a set of answers to Nabble FAQs.

Re: HTTPS

Harvey
This post was updated on .
What is the time frame for the switch?

Will our forums go down or continue to run?

Will the format of the database change?

Re: HTTPS

GregChapman
I can only answer the second of them at this time. That post said:
Franklin <Nabble> wrote
People will be able to move from Nabble to Blasma whenever they want.
Apart from the timing issue, which now needs updating, the other question I was left with from that post was some explanation for this sentence:
One other difference is that with Blasma, each forum will have its own copy of the code
That made me wonder if one would need one's own hosting space in order to run Blasma or whether there were plans to adopt the WordPress model, with a hosted version with customisations limited to "Themes" (similar to wordpress.com but with fewer customisations available) and the source available to download and host in your own space (similar to wordpress.org)

Perhaps it was intended to keep Nabble going, as the equivalent of the wordpress.com, with no further development, but supply the migration tools to allow easy transfer to your own copy of Blasma, for those with the hosting space to use it.
Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!
GregHelp - Building a set of answers to Nabble FAQs.

Re: HTTPS

Harvey
I can't find any info on blasma online?

Re: HTTPS

GregChapman
There was a brief period when a Nabble forum, blasma.com, was mentioned on the Nabble Support forum and a link provided on the nabble.com home page. I, and one or two other regular posters here, did post on that forum.

At the time it was highly active, with much progress being reported from one day to the next, so much so that I couldn't keep up with the work others were doing, so decided I couldn't offer anything that would help speed development and ceased posting.

Then it went quiet. Then it went offline. It looked as if the domain registration had lapsed. It has since reappeared but has been unused since 2016.

Content is fairly technical but reading through it may give you a flavour of what is hoped to be achieved, but obviously it won't give any indication of the current situation or time scales for release.