HELP!!! Can't Access Forum

lisaA
I have had a Nabble forum for many years.   Suddenly, it has stopped appearing on my website and I can no longer login to my account.  I had to register under a new name to be able to post this message.  My website is www.watchophilia.com.  On my Home page, where I display recent message, this text appears:

There was a problem contacting your RSS feed server.https://watchophilia-forums.32196.x6.nabble.com/Watchophilia-Forums-ft947.xml

Please advise.

Re: HELP!!! Can't Access Forum

GregChapman
There are two issues here.

1. You do not have a single "account" with Nabble. You have as many registrations as Nabble-hosted forums that you visit. Each will be as independent as are your registrations with eBay, Amazon or anywhere else where you happen to have registered.

Is it possible you used a different email address or password the last time you posted here and you have forgotten them? If this is your first time on Nabble Support then you must expect to register

2. I suspect thatyou may have "suddenly" started using SSL. Nabble does not support being embedded in https:// sites. You will need to remove that feature from your main site.

Re: HELP!!! Can't Access Forum

lisaA
I'm not talking about a Nabble hosted forum that I visited.  I'm talking about the forum I set up on my own web site--watchophilia.com.  The forum has been up and running for years, and there are many posts on it.  Now, I cannot access the forum at all.

Have you looked my site, using the forum link to see that it now leads nowhere?  Did you look at the message I'm getting on my home page--which I posted in my original comment--that indicates that there's something wrong with y forum connection?

I have emails from Nabble regarding new forum registrants, showing that the email address I have been trying to use is corrrect.

Please give me some real help with this issue!

Re: HELP!!! Can't Access Forum

GregChapman
lisaA wrote
Have you looked my site, using the forum link to see that it now leads nowhere?
You appear to be ignoring the information I gave. That was:

Nabble does not support forums that are embedded in sites using the SSL protocol. That means use http:// NOT https:// in the address.

The page on your site where your forum is embedded has the address:
https://www.watchophilia.com/have-a-discussion/
It uses the prefix https:// so the forum will not appear. It's as simple as that.

Interestingly, when viewing on a mobile device the forum does appear. That's because your site is set to deliver the page:
http://m.watchophilia.com/have-a-discussion/
to mobile browsers. Note: no "s"!

For a reason I don't understand, the link you provided in your original post included an "s" when Nabble does not use SSL, so no page served from a Nabble server will include it:
https://watchophilia-forums.32196.x6.nabble.com/Watchophilia-Forums-ft947.xml
Remove the "s" and that works too! See:
http://watchophilia-forums.32196.x6.nabble.com/Watchophilia-Forums-ft947.xml

So yes, I did look at the message you were getting when following the link you gave - not that it was your home page - but for the reasons above I totally ignored it as you were barking up completely the wrong tree.

Please give me some real help with this issue!
I really did give you "real help" but it seems I pitched it at the wrong level to help you.

To repeat, remove the SSL protocol (indicated by your site having an address starting with https://) and the forum will display. If you need help with that you need to contact the Help service for your main site's host. This is not a Nabble issue but a change that either you made at your main site's host or that they imposed on your site. You need to change settings at your main site.

Or to put it as I did last time:

2. I suspect that you may have "suddenly" started using SSL. Nabble does not support being embedded in https:// sites. You will need to remove that feature from your main site.

I thought I was responding in a simple and straight forward manner. I'm sorry it didn't come across that way..

Re: HELP!!! Can't Access Forum

lisaA
Thank you for at last going to my site to review the problem, rather than assuming that I'm trying log into Amazon or some place, despite my having told you the precise situation.  Your snippiness is unwarranted given your failure to adequately address the problem the first time around by 1) not reading what I wrote, and 2) not taking the time to go to my site, where you could clearly see the exact quote I provided on my Home page, where the recent forum posts used to be displayed.  Apparently, that simple information was too far over your head, since you seem to be confused into thinking I was giving you a link to my home page, when, instead, as I clearly stated, I simply copied the text that Nabble was posting on my home page where the recent forum posts should appear.  If that quote included an "s" when it shouldn't have than that appears to be a Nabble issue. And you think that I'm not on YOUR level?  LOL

Furthermore, you have not resolved the issue of my not being able to log in to my Nabble forum using the email and password that I have always used.  What's up with that?

As for the SSL issue, I did read what you wrote--the first time--understood it perfectly, and have made inquiries with my web server regarding what must have been a change on their part.  That was the third point you brought up, the other two being completely bogus, and still leaving me with no help regarding the logon issue.

I hope others read this and realize the lack of professionalism they can expect from your organization when they ask for help.

Re: HELP!!! Can't Access Forum

lisaA
And, by the way, I've checked my site on two mobile devices--iOS and Android--and on neither device does the forum appear.  What were you saying about it working perfectly on mobile devices?  Was that part over my head too?

Re: HELP!!! Can't Access Forum

lisaA
Come to think of it, it was on a mobile device that I first discovered the problem.

Re: HELP!!! Can't Access Forum

Hi lisaA,

Right! Let's go back to the beginning and start again and see what I had to work with.

But before we do that I should clarify that I am not a professional. I am, as my signature points out, like you, just a user of Nabble trying to help out another user. You should not, therefore, expect a professional response from me, and while you might hope for a polite response, you should not expect one. I'm only a nerdy volunteer, one whose friends who understand these things tell him is on the autistic spectrum, probably suffering from Asperger's Syndrome. One symptom is that it is absolutely impossible to offend me. I do not understand the concept, but similarly I have no understanding or comprehension of how anything I can can offend anyone else.

You wrote:
lisaA wrote
I have had a Nabble forum for many years.   Suddenly, it has stopped appearing on my website and I can no longer login to my account.  I had to register under a new name to be able to post this message.  My website is www.watchophilia.com.  On my Home page, where I display recent message, this text appears:

There was a problem contacting your RSS feed server.https://watchophilia-forums.32196.x6.nabble.com/Watchophilia-Forums-ft947.xml
Let's break this down.
I have had a Nabble forum for many years.
That establishes you are used to the software and should know how to control its behaviour.
Suddenly, it has stopped appearing on my website
That indicates that either you, your website host  or Nabble may have changed something. I am running a number of Nabble forums on a range of their servers including the x6 server. Nothings changed for me, so I suspect nothing has changed for you. You don't indicate that you have done anything to change the  settings on your forum. So the most likely possibility is that you main site host has.
and I can no longer login to my account.  I had to register under a new name to be able to post this message.
Now I have a problem with your terminology. One doesn't have "an account" at Nabble. You either are an Administrator on a forum hosted at Nabble or you are a user of one. If this is the first time you have posted on this forum, then you would have had to register here. Obviously, with 8,326 users it is quite possible that someone will have already registered using your preferred username and you would have to choose another one.

I felt I needed to check your understanding of this fundamental. I asked "Is it possible you used a different email address or password the last time you posted here and you have forgotten them? If this is your first time on Nabble Support then you must expect to register", but your response suggested that you were not aware that Nabble Support is indeed "a Nabble hosted forum that I visited" that it is different to yours and that you are simply a visitor on it.

From your further comment "Have you looked my site, using the forum link to see that it now leads nowhere?", it was clear from that response that you didn't understand what I had said in item 2 of my original reply. I did not need to visit your site as when you wrote this...
My website is www.watchophilia.com.  On my Home page, where I display recent message, this text appears:

There was a problem contacting your RSS feed server.https://watchophilia-forums.32196.x6.nabble.com/Watchophilia-Forums-ft947.xml
...the fact that references to your Nabble forum included https:// was sufficient to know that your forum would not display.

As I have said, I felt I had given succinct and helpful responses. However, I do regret using the phrase "pitched ... at the wrong level" as that does have connotations of hierarchy, which it appear you found offensive. Perhaps I should have referred to "a different planet" to indicate simply that your starting point is not the same as mine.

Although I made reference to mobile devices, you do have to be aware that a "mobile device" is a somewhat arbitrary term as it very much depends on the browser used and what user settings and options are in use. My reference to this page:
http://m.watchophilia.com/have-a-discussion/
that your site delivers to browsers that claim to be operating on a mobile platform should have made clear what I was referring. You can visit it on a desktop computer if you wish to simulate how a browser renders the page when it claims to be on a mobile device.

Hoping, as ever, to be helpful. If there's anything you don't understand, please ask for clarifications.

Re: HELP!!! Can't Access Forum

lisaA
Thank you for your follow-up message.  I felt bad about our exchange yesterday, and I apologize for my rudeness.  I do appreciate you volunteering your time to help those of us who sometimes struggle with technology.

To clarify on the login issue, I am the sole administrator of my Nabble forum.

I did check with my web hoster, and they did change to SSL, and that does explain why the Nabble forum no longer works.  So, thank you for directing me in the right direction on that issue.

Unfortunately, I also learned yesterday that my web hoster made other changes that have affected my website to the point that they are suggesting I start over with a new one.  Because of the time and effort that would take, I am likely just going to drop it all together.  I feed bad for the vintage watch collectors who have relied on my site for many years for information that cannot be found anywhere else.  They will be let down by this decision, but things happen, and life goes on for all of us, God willing.

Again, thanks for your help.  I hope you have a great day.