Gallerys for individual forum users?

Camo
Say I have created a subforum, converted it to 'Gallery'. Within this subforum/gallery,
I have set permissions for users to create subforums which will act as user specific personal galleries.
now since a subforum inherits by default the permissions of its parents, does this mean my users will
be able to create subforums of their own subforums.?

Eg Parent is subforum changed to 'gallery'
Within 'gallery' subforum, users will create sub forums of that. (personal Galleries)
Within these personal Galleries, can they again create subforums (e.g)

parent = camos forum (main)
child = Gallery (subforum)
grandchild = camos gallery
G granchild = camos family pics
G G granchild = camos pet pics

and so on?

What would be the best way to allow members to have there own Galleries as part of the forum?

Is there a better simpler way? I dont want to have to set permissions for every granchild to disallow further
subforums. Is there a way to set 'generation' limits?

If not then my users cant have personal Galleries?
Camo's Classifieds! © Camo's Reptiles

Re: Gallerys for individual forum users?

GregChapman
Camo wrote
Say I have created a subforum, converted it to 'Gallery'. Within this subforum/gallery,
I have set permissions for users to create subforums which will act as user specific personal galleries.
now since a subforum inherits by default the permissions of its parents, does this mean my users will
be able to create subforums of their own subforums.?
Yes!

I dont want to have to set permissions for every granchild to disallow further
subforums. Is there a way to set 'generation' limits?
No!

If not then my users cant have personal Galleries?
I think you are over worried about abuse by your users that is highly unlikely to occur in practice. Additional sub-forums take an additional click and delay to reach them. Most people would not want to create such a barrier to reaching their photos unless they had so many images in their gallery that it slowed down their display on the page. In which case splitting their gallery into sub-galleries would be entirely justified.

The appropriate way to manage issue this is to assign trusted users to an additional group (above "Member" level if you are already using that one) and only add users to it when they have demonstrated, through their posts elsewhere in the forum, that they are unlikely to abuse their privilege.

Re: Gallerys for individual forum users?

Camo
Thanks mate, I think Ill wait and see if users request galleries, for now, but ill keep your group idea in mind,
Good thinking!

:)
Camo's Classifieds! © Camo's Reptiles