Full Pages Not Loading Properly - View More

Full Pages Not Loading Properly - View More

sparkle
The page on my Nabble forum only looks like its partially loading - it only started this morning.

You can get to see it all as if you look bottom left in pale green there is a little thing you can click to 'VIEW MORE', but you have to click on it to view one bit then click again to get further down the page.

I've not done anything to the forum so no idea why that should start happening.

Its not just on new threads but ones that haven't been used for a year or two as well so seems on every one.

Re: Full Pages Not Loading Properly - View More

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
What is the forum URL?

http://guptachat.blogspot.com/

Not sure how people can help though as its a private forum by invite only.

Re: Full Pages Not Loading Properly - View More

sparkle
To get to the bottom of a page can need over a dozen or more clicks on the 'view more' message.

There is then on the right at the bottom an 'edit page' thing to click - and then you see this message:

Seems some pages are unaffected - for now anyway.

Re: Full Pages Not Loading Properly - View More

GregChapman
There are a number of possibilities.

It may be that the way you have provided the space for your forum, within Blogspot fixes the space available for your Nabble forum. While short pages will display in full, long ones will not and show ythe "View more..." prompts you describe. In this case you need help from Blogspot to make the area expand as required.

It may be that a slow connection speed and a long Nabble page, means that Blogspot has to re-assess the space it has allowed for the forum. That can lead to delays in re-configuring the size of the space allowed for the forum, which then show "View more"... prompts until the new size is calculated.

If your users are responding via email, it is very common for people to "top post" replies above the quotes of earlier replies. In that case Nabble will cut short the quotes with a message that toggles between "[show rest of quote]/[hide part of quote]. Is that what you are seeing

The "Edit This Page" function is a major feature of Nabble. It allows you, to examine how other forum administrators have customised their forum and as a Forum Administrator yourself to edit the code that runs your forum to produce almost limitless customisation.

Re: Full Pages Not Loading Properly - View More

Flick
How can we turn the View More pages Off. I do not like this feature. It's a waste of time compared to just regular pagination.

Re: Full Pages Not Loading Properly - View More

sparkle
Thanks Greg - it seems to be on some pages and not others.  I allow blogger to have long pages so no idea why it should suddenly start appearing yesterday.  No one else admins so I know no-one has fiddled with anything and neither have I.

I shall keep an eye on it for the next few days to see what develops.

Re: Full Pages Not Loading Properly - View More

sparkle
Also long threads of say 20 pages are now jumping back to page 1 and not going to the most recent post (I know after 50 pages it always used to do that and we'd start a new thread but now its doing it with other pages too).

Re: Full Pages Not Loading Properly - View More

GregChapman
I recall seeing posts on Nabble Support a few years ago (I've been posting here since 2010) where it emerged that there is a limit on the numbers posts in a topic before things start going awry. I can't remember the exact symptoms. Maybe you have reached that limit. Try a search on the forum for the symptoms you are experiencing.

If my memory is right, one solution might be to post a new topic with an initial post that says "this is the continuation of another topic" (include a link to it). Then change the date of the post to a point a few weeks ago. Then go to the over-large topic and move posts after your selected date to the new topic. Threaded view will be very useful for this as you should be able to pick specific points in any sub-threads that make the transition as seamless as possible for the users following the topic.

Re: Full Pages Not Loading Properly - View More

Gary Lewis
Until a couple of weeks ago there was a 3-digit counter, so when your topic/thread went to 1000 posts the link went back to the start.  But Franklin fixed that and it now goes where it is supposed to go.  At least until we get to 9,999.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Full Pages Not Loading Properly - View More

sparkle
Thanks Greg - yes we do that - once a post gets to 50 pages we start a second one.

However this is happening on the first page of a thread - so not linked to that problem.