French Translation

Vespert
This post was updated on .
I don't know Portuguese at all, so I'm having trouble translating most of the items in the macros at the beginning of the file.

Also, in the macro "is_masculine", I understand only the feminine words are listed. Is there a list of the words that didn't make it into this list as they are masculine in Portuguese? This is to adapt the list for another language. For example, I need to remove mensagem because it is masculine in French.

And finally, do we have to change the names of the macros if they are in Portuguese?

Re: What if we don't understand Portuguese?

Hugo <Nabble>
Thanks for the feedback!
Vespert wrote
I don't know Portuguese at all, so I'm having trouble translating most of the items in the macros at the beginning of the file.
You don't have to understand portuguese to change those macros. You should actually delete them and create specific ones for your language (French in this case). If you look at those macros again, you will see they are very similar to each other and the difference is only in the output. So you can delete them and create new ones for you whenever you see a need.
Vespert wrote
Also, in the macro "is_masculine", I understand only the feminine words are listed. Is there a list of the words that didn't make it into this list as they are masculine in Portuguese? This is to adapt the list for another language. For example, I need to remove mensagem because it is masculine in French.
The words you should consider are: forum, gallery, blog, news, category and subcategory.
I just realized we don't have to handle the word post (mensagem in portuguese) at this point. So I removed it from the is_masculine macro in the sample file (here is the topic where other users can download that file).
Vespert wrote
And finally, do we have to change the names of the macros if they are in Portuguese?
You can change the names and even delete those you don't need. The macro works like a function, so you can give any name and call it from anywhere using the format <n.macro_name/>.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Re: What if we don't understand Portuguese?

Vespert
This post was updated on .
Here are a few questions and comments so far:

For the translation of "Adult or mature content, explicit sexual activity, nudity,  other sexual content." Oddly, there are two spaces after "nudity,". Maybe a typo?

I noticed some verbs are conjugated in Portuguese when it's impossible to tell in English:
Add a new comment -> Adicione um novo comentário
Add a new group -> Adicionar um novo grupo
I trust they are conjugated when they need to and that I should do so too.

For these ones, maybe you could just post a link to the pages where they appear, so I can deduce what they are refering to, their meaning,...

Re: What if we don't understand Portuguese?

Hugo <Nabble>
Vespert wrote
For the translation of "Adult or mature content, explicit sexual activity, nudity,  other sexual content." Oddly, there are two spaces after "nudity,". Maybe a typo?
It is a typo, but this doesn't affect the translation. All strings are compressed when they are compared, so line breaks and multiple spaces are ignored (they are considered the same as one single space char).
Vespert wrote
I noticed some verbs are conjugated in Portuguese when it's impossible to tell in English:
Add a new comment -> Adicione um novo comentário
Add a new group -> Adicionar um novo grupo
I trust they are conjugated when they need to and that I should do so too.
This was actually an inconsistency in our translation. Both should be "Adicionar", so we don't have variations here. Thanks for bringing this to our attention (I fixed the file for download, but this shouldn't affect other translators).
Vespert wrote
For these ones, maybe you could just post a link to the pages where they appear, so I can deduce what they are refering to, their meaning,...
All = here is a page where this text is used (first entry in the monthly archives section)
Count = here is a page where this text is used ("Count" is one of the table columns)
board = this is one app type, which is a type of forum view (like a bulletin board) -- here is one example of this type of forum
Default = This text is displayed in the "Options > Users > Change permissions" page (see the comboboxes).
Current Credits = This page is not public yet, but this basically means "The number of credits (points) you have right now".

Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Re: What if we don't understand Portuguese?

Vespert
A few more questions:

Where can one find the words "Highest", "High", "Low", "Lowest", "Mixed", "Normal", "People"?

What is Log, as in "Log is empty" and "Clear Log"?

I'm a little bit confused about the difference between a "message" and a "post". Are they interchangeable?

I figured "is within the last:" and "days" are two parts of an advanced search option. Are any of those parts used somewhere else? To make it comprehensible in French, I need to reword both of them.

Re: What if we don't understand Portuguese?

Hugo <Nabble>
Vespert wrote
Where can one find the words "Highest", "High", "Low", "Lowest", "Mixed", "Normal", "People"?
"Highest", "High", "Low", "Lowest" and "Normal" are used by our workgroup feature. These words are related to priorities, see:

"Mixed" is a type of app. We show the latest topics from all sub-forums on the app front page. Here is an example: http://foro-ubuntu-guia.963965.n3.nabble.com/

"People" is the title of the sidebar section on apps like blog, gallery and news. See an example: http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Nabble-Latest-Features-f1559156.html (on the right you will see the "People" section)
Vespert wrote
What is Log, as in "Log is empty" and "Clear Log"?
This is related to the debug log of our templates feature. If you click on the "See how NAML generates this page" link on the footer of your app, you will see a "View log" link on that page. This is a system log of messages, so you probably know how people call this in French if you work with computer science. In portuguese we use the same word (log).
Vespert wrote
I'm a little bit confused about the difference between a "message" and a "post". Are they interchangeable?
Yes, they are. In portuguese we don't have a good word for post, so I decided to use "message" ("mensagem") everywhere.
Vespert wrote
I figured "is within the last:" and "days" are two parts of an advanced search option. Are any of those parts used somewhere else? To make it comprehensible in French, I need to reword both of them.
They are used only on the advanced search page. Maybe they should be translated as a single sentence, but this is not so simple considering the way we build that page. You can reword them the way you think is correct.

Re: What if we don't understand Portuguese?

Vespert
Here's the French (France) translation, but I noticed that some phrases, such as "Merge into Current Parent" or "Make Child the New Root" from the "Change parent" option among other phrases, were not included in the list of phrases to be translated. lang_fr_fr.naml

Re: What if we don't understand Portuguese?

Hugo <Nabble>
Thanks a lot. I will make some tests and soon the translation will be available on the site. Please post the URLs of your apps and we will give you ad-free credits.

Re: What if we don't understand Portuguese?

French is now available to all apps. Please change your apps to Français and make sure it looks good. You can let me know if you want to change anything in your translation.
Vespert wrote
Those pages are not using the NAML technology yet. In the future we will translate those pages, so I will probably ask you and other translators to complete the files (but this time, only the missing sentences will be added).

Re: What if we don't understand Portuguese?

Vespert
Here's the application I use, it's not mine though: http://superpower-list-forum.2863604.n2.nabble.com/

I corrected a few mistakes I made: lang_fr_fr.naml

I also noticed some phrases escaped translation:
In "Post New Message"/"Reply" --> "Tips",
"Actuellement, Nabble supporte:
    Videos from Youtube, Vimeo and LiveLeak.
    Sondages de Polldaddy.com (sondages flash uniquement)"
and the drop-down menu of "Insert Image" is still in English

In "Account settings",
"Supprimer Votre Compte Remove your account and all your posts from "

In "Banned Users",
The title of the page doesn't have a translation.

In "Mailing list archive settings",
"Subject Prefix
Entrez le préfixe que cette liste de diffusion utilise avant le sujet. Le préfixe sera automatiquement retiré des emails importés."

In "Change Permissions"
All the permission names are untranslated.

Re: What if we don't understand Portuguese?

Hugo <Nabble>
Vespert wrote
Here's the application I use, it's not mine though: http://superpower-list-forum.2863604.n2.nabble.com/
I added 50,000 credits to that forum.

Regarding the issues you have found, I've fixed most of them. Please send me the translations below because they are missing now (I guessed some of them, please check and fix):
<translation><from>View profile of <t.author/></from><to>Ver o perfil de <n.author/></to></translation>
<translation><from>Banned Users in <t.location/></from><to>Utilisateurs Bannis de <n.location/></to></translation>
Vespert wrote
In "Change Permissions"
All the permission names are untranslated.
Those are not so simple because they are partially hardcoded in Java. So we will have to leave them untranslated for now.

Thanks!

Re: What if we don't understand Portuguese?

Vespert
Thanks! Here are the translations:
<translation><from>View profile of <t.author/></from><to>Voir le profil de <n.author/></to></translation>
<translation><from>Banned Users in <t.location/></from><to>Utilisateurs Bannis de <n.location/></to></translation>

Re: What if we don't understand Portuguese?

Hugo <Nabble>
Thank You!

How can i update the french translation?

dcartron
Hi,
New user of Nabble, i realise that there are still a lot of strings untranslated, and some with mistakes (Maitenant should be Maintenant), or just with some translation i would like to change (Inscrivez-Vous should be Inscrivez-vous).
Is it possible to overwrite these strings, like i can use my own css file?

Re: How can i update the french translation?

Pedro
Do you want to change it only on your site?
You can use the translation tag:

Re: How can i update the french translation?

dcartron
thx for the answer, but where do i put this translation?