Free is annoying

ctlprogrammer
I went to the nabble website. Saw free and more free everywhere. I said to myself "hell nothing is free"

Start looking around on the website. Still nothing but free free and more free. Looking around if something is mentioned about ads....couldn't find. Had to start looking on the forum....after 1 hour i finally found somebody talking about ads.

Jezus guys....put some information on you website.......pretty annoying. And stop putting and using the word free everywhere.....if their are ads ...IT IS NOT FREE

Re: Free is annoying

GregChapman
Be precise! Kindly quote the message about ads.

The service is free (free to use and free of ads - unless you count the link that says "Free Embeddable xxxx powered by Nabble").

Support is free too, unless you want your forum customised or a more prompt personal service for your forum. Then you pay to be allowed to post in the Premium Support forum.

Re: Free is annoying

ctlprogrammer
So that is the ad they talked about.

Ok i don't count "Free Embeddable xxxx powered by Nabble" as an ad.

So it is really free.

Damme feel pretty stupid

Still wonder why i had to spend so much time finding it out. Even had to register to find an answer. The problem is not nabble. Problem is that that everything on internet that seems to be free is not free.

Exception = nabble

Re: Free is annoying

Camo
I have to Agree that some free solid documentation would be nice. This user illustrates my point perfectly!

Its like an iphone manufacturer selling iphones without a manual, even if its free, its no use to me if I cant operate it!

Nabble please Act on documentation,

 even your users dont know enough to be able to do it for you.
Free Support ISN'T cutting it for all the users who wouldn't be posting here, if they could learn for themselves!
If we can learn for ourselves (without fear of accidently destroying our hard work) we'd be alot keener to help others and cut your case load! 'Free' does not equate to 'user freindly' guys!

Imagine if microsoft didnt give users documentation about using windows!.....Oh wait, bad example!

Ps This warning is not sufficiently attention catching, it needs to be larger and bold, and maybe even red!

"If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion
below:"

Still getting folk overlooking it and subsequently posting private information.
Camo's Classifieds! © Camo's Reptiles

Re: Free is annoying

mywaytoo
Nabble said a while ago that they are aware of the lack of good documentation, but they are changing software all the time. Things would become out of date very quickly, which would mean that the time spent on documentation would have been diverted from development with no significant improvement... ie. wasted!

It seems to me that when their new templates are ready and shown to be functioning well, by us testing them, that that may be a good point for them to reconsider documentation.

Remember though... we do get the whole lot for free... admittedly helping with testing. And we don't know what else they might have in mind for the future...
Anne

Re: Free is annoying

Peter <Nabble>
That's right. We will invest hard on documentation after templates get released.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Free is annoying

Camo
Ive just created some documentation about basic forum settings right here. 30 seconds to
create a testforum, snap an image, type some text! Bingo! Documentation. Some being better than none.
Why not highlight it on this forum somehow.
Not everybody actually searches!

Basic Forum Settings How To

Camo's Classifieds! © Camo's Reptiles

Re: Free is annoying

mywaytoo
Camo... I've done mine too... I guess that most of us have and that's why Nabble are designing templates.

If I were Nabble, I would want to design the documentation in a systematic manner across all elements so that users can relate one learning experience across everything... I look forward to using it!
Anne