Forums stripping out double-dashes?

Marc Martin
Hi, I have a tendency to use double-dashes in my emails, but I've noticed that Nabble is stripping those out, both on the web and also in the emails I get sent from Nabble.  I'm wondering if I've messed up a Macro somewhere, or if this is a Nabble bug/feature?

Thanks,

Marc

I guess I can test this out here:

  - this is preceded by a single dash
  -- this is preceded by a double-dash
  - - this is preceded by a dash, space, dash

Re: Forums stripping out double-dashes?

Marc Martin
Hmm, so it works here, but not on my forum...

Here is an example of such a post... interestingly, if I go to "Edit" the post, the double-dashes are visible, but they are not when I 'm viewing the post on the web.  Maybe it is the custom macro code that strips away the mailing list footers is causing problems?

  http://seattlesmartmeterforum.com/Massachusetts-Power-Companies-on-AMI-tp656p664.html

Re: Forums stripping out double-dashes?

Marc Martin
Never mind... I modified my regex so it no longer strips out double dashes... :-)

Re: Forums stripping out double-dashes?

Marc Martin
Although it would be good to know if there is some regular expression that can strip out the double-dashes in a footer, without also stripping out the double-dashes in people's messages.

My footer looks like this:

"--
list address: sm@simplelists.com

Does Nabble support multi-line regular expressions?  If so, then a pattern that matches all 4 lines could be searched for and deleted.

Otherwise, I don't know of a regular expression that would be able to tell the difference between the double-dashes in this footer, and double-dashes in people's messages (maybe if I could specify that the double-dashes are the only non-whitespace on the line?)

Re: Forums stripping out double-dashes?

Pedro
We could edit only the footer if it was the Nabble signature.
I've made some tests, once is your email program that add that footer to the message there is no pattern to catch and treat all kind of footers and just the footer.
Maybe we can work it out if you set your email program to wrap the footer with an specific tag, so that we could find and treat it with the naml.

Re: Forums stripping out double-dashes?

Marc Martin
Thanks Pedro, but we're in the process of abandoning the mailing list and only using Nabble, so the footer stripping would really only be needed for the past messages.  So I think just stripping out everything except the double-dashes is a good enough solution (since it sounds like there is no multi-line regex that could be used?)

Re: Forums stripping out double-dashes?

Pedro
The double-dashe

The double-dashes stripping (actually it was to fix the repetition of the footer) was made on this request:
http://support.nabble.com/footer-stripping-tp7590744.html
As you have noted, the regular expression was on the message_as_html macro. On that macro we can't separate the footer from the message.
Please, get back your former regular expression, it is working in my forum:
    <n.set_var. name="footer_ptn">
        <![CDATA[(list\s+address:\s+sm@simplelists\.com(\s|<br/?>|--)*)|(list archive:.*/sm</a>(\s|<br/?>|--)*)|(subscribe, unsubscribe:.*/sm</a>(\s|<br/?>|--)*)]]>
    </n.set_var.>

Re: Forums stripping out double-dashes?

Marc Martin
Yes, but that was stripping out the double-dashes in people's messages, which is unacceptable.  So it'd be better just to leave it as-is, as I don't want to be messing with people's messages.

Re: Forums stripping out double-dashes?

Marc Martin
Correction -- that regex that you just provided above isn't exactly the same as the original regex you provided before.  So yes, this new one does not strip away the double-dashes in people's messages, but it also doesn't appear to strip away the double-dashes in the footers.  Which is about as good as we're going to get, I think.

I think the lesson to be learned here is to not put something into the footer that might match what people will commonly put into their messages!

Re: Forums stripping out double-dashes?

Pedro
Ok. As I said it was to cut out the footer message not the double-dashes.
My test forum.