Forums not updating

RE: Forums not updating

eminisniper
Yes, my users have not received any emails when registering with Nabble for the last week, so no one new can get into my forum. None of them have aol email addresses.

RE: Forums not updating

John Boncek
Thank you.  The two forums I referred to are now working again.

Sincerely,
   John Boncek

RE: Forums not updating

Are you still having this problem?

RE: Forums not updating

John Boncek

No.  Thanks for whatever you did.

RE: Forums not updating

John Boncek

Sorry, answered too fast.  They both just came back usable but now show last messages dated yesterday.  gcc-help is stuck at about 20:00 hours yesterday.  I can see the messages at http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2012-04/. These used to update much more regularly than this.

To unsubscribe from Forums not updating, click here.
NAML

RE: Forums not updating

Pedro
Would you like migrate your forums to new nabble?

RE: Forums not updating

John Boncek

I like Old Nabble better, but if you think this is a losing battle, you might post a message to each of these forums asking for opinions or just informing them that it will happen if you believe it must.  However, these forums are based on very old mailing lists in the open source community and the vast majority of the users probably don't even know Nabble exists or mirrors their lists.  I have no idea who originally created Nabble forums based on these lists.  So I'm not sure what kind of response, if any, you would get.

Would you like migrate your forums to new nabble?

RE: Forums not updating

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi John, thanks for the feedback. May I ask you why you prefer the old Nabble?

RE: Forums not updating

John Boncek

1.  Faster, more responsive.

2.  More consistent and legible use of fonts.  The attached screenshot, which seems quite typical of new Nabble, is, in my opinion, awful.

3.  A spam classification which works immediately rather than just flagging something for moderator attention.

In fact, the only drawback to old Nabble that I am aware of is the way the forums sometimes stop updating.  Admittedly, that's a big problem.

RE: Forums not updating

GregChapman
John Boncek wrote
1.  Faster, more responsive.
I have no experience of Old Nabble, so cannot compare, but what is aspects of "new" Nabble are slow?

2.  More consistent and legible use of fonts.  The attached screenshot, which seems quite typical of new Nabble, is, in my opinion, awful.
That's merely the default! Disregarding the changes any browser user can make for themselves, as a administrator, you can change the font, font size, colour weight, emphasis, alignment, of each component of  just about all aspects of the display of the "List" format via OPTIONS > APPLICATION > CHANGE APPEARANCE and you can do still more to customise it with NAML. What changes would you like it to see?

3.  A spam classification which works immediately rather than just flagging something for moderator attention.
I don't understand that comment! You make that comment as user of a mail list archive. You can't turn back history and ask that something be removed from everybody's Inbox? It's up to the mail list owners to control what goes to the list. Nabble's software merely, reflects whatever has been accepted to the list by the list's moderators.

Even if you just consider it as a forum, anyone granted the appropriate permission by an administrator can remove, hide (by moving a post to a "private" sub-forum with restricted access), or edit any post. (The "flag" feature I think you may be referring to is there to inform Nabble of items that break their terms and conditions. It's not to notify the forum owner of a transgression of forum rules.)