Forum storage capacity

John Yeoman
I know this question has been asked before, but the answer was unclear to my simple mind :)

Namely, is there a limit to the storage capacity of posts/replies in a single forum?

I ask, because I am about to laboriously copy across into my new Nabble forum some 6,000 separate threads/replies from my prior website forum which I am about to take down. The total size of these files is circa 10mb. Will this come up against a Nabble storage limit per forum?

Re: Forum storage capacity

☪Not_A_Admin
5mb upload limit

Re: Forum storage capacity

John Yeoman
Thanks. Uh, suppose I created five separate standalone forums, each with a different title. Would I have up to 5mb capacity for each? Failing that, can I purchase extra capacity?

Best wishes
Nigel Robinson

Re: Forum storage capacity

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi John, The other user probably misunderstood your question. Nabble has no limit for the number of messages and posts. The limit he mentioned (5Mb) is per file uploaded. But you can have, for example, 10 files of 5Mb in just one post. So don't worry about storage.

How are you going to move your posts and messages to Nabble? Manually?

Re: Forum storage capacity

☪Not_A_Admin
no u can upload as much as you want but the file limit per file is 5mb,
so u can upload 100 things which can be like 4mb each
(but im sure the host wont be happy?)

Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 6:43 PM

Thanks. Uh, suppose I created five separate standalone forums, each with a different title. Would I have up to 5mb capacity for each? Failing that, can I purchase extra capacity?

Best wishes
Nigel Robinson
Need an request for anything , then msg me?

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Forum-storage-capacity-tp4737932p4738973.html
To unsubscribe from Re: Forum storage capacity, click here.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4947 (20100315) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: Forum storage capacity

John Yeoman
Dear Tanveer

Thanks, but could you please clarify? I have to choose quickly between using Nabble or Lefora (etc) on a new site for academics. Nabble is easier to use but... a '5mb storage capacity' per forum is obviously a misprint. It equates to about 150 threads. That's just three week's activity at a busy site. Did you mean 5gb?

1. If you meant 5mb, what happens when the limit is exceeded? Does the forum seize up? Are the old threads then archived? Are they still accessible to members?

Based upon my existing site, I expect my new site to get around 4000 hits in the first month rising to 10,000 per month. My forum traffic will be immense.

2. Can Nabble cope with, say, 500 threads per month if I pay a fee? Is a payment option possible, for the storage size per forum to be increased to, say, 5gb?

I would rather pay upfront now than sweat to create a site, only for Nabble to change its policy and vandalise my site with ads in lieu of a fee :)

Best wishes
Dr Nigel Robinson

Need an request for anything , then msg me?

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Forum-storage-capacity-tp4737932p4738894.html
To unsubscribe from Forum storage capacity, click here.

Re: Forum storage capacity

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi Nigel (John), Tanveer doesn't work for Nabble and he confused you with his answer. As described here, Nabble has no limit whatsoever for the number of post or topics. You can have one billion topics if you want to and we won't charge you for that. The 5MB limit he mentioned is "per file". Forums have no limit. Just to give you an idea, look at this forum:

http://n4.nabble.com/R-f789695.html

It has 50,000 topics (more than 154,000 posts). Nabble archives those messages for free because there is no limit, as I said.

Please let me know if you have more questions, comments or concerns.

Re: Forum storage capacity

☪Not_A_Admin
No thats not wat i mean, u can use your forum as much as you want thier is no limit to it, and its ad free.
what i meant is...
lets say you like a song and you wanted to share with everyone, you can upload it as long as it is 5mb or lower.
and u can basically upload as many files as you want as long each file is under 5mb

Need an request for anything , then msg me?

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Forum-storage-capacity-tp4737932p4765020.html
To unsubscribe from Re: Forum storage capacity, click here.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4959 (20100319) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: Forum storage capacity

John Yeoman
That is very good news! Thank you. In reply to your other question, how am I going to port the 4000+ threads across from my prior website into Nabble? You'll love this, guys...

Not being remotely technical I was, uh, going to copy and paste them. Projected time: two weeks of non-stop manual labour.

Is there an easier way?  (My old site was written in asp files. So no freelance programmer who can be hired within my budget - ie. the price of a free lunch - will touch 'em.)

Re: Forum storage capacity

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi Nigel (John), besides the huge amount of work you will have with copy & paste, I am not sure how you will keep the author's information intact. Will you copy & paste all posts with your "John Yeoman" account? How many users do you think your old forum has?

Re: Forum storage capacity

John Yeoman
My old forum had only around 100 people actively posting but over three years they supplied more than 4000 threads (each of around 400 words and little of it frivolous) accounting for about 1.6 million words. I accept it would be impossible to reproduce each individual post and reply under the original user names, so I had planned to copy each thread as one entity and post the thread under my own name, with a disclaimer above the forum that the threads were a compilation. Not ideal... especially as I have to edit each thread to embolden the user names within it!

However, it is marginally more stimulating than watching television... Unless you can think of a simpler option?

Re: Forum storage capacity

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi Nigel, depending on how your data is stored, there is some chance I can create a script to import your posts. Maybe you can send something to my email so that I can take a look: h u g o [at] n a b b l e [dot] c o m.