Forum Members Assignment

Alistair Hamilton
I'm trying to set up a members only section of my forum. I've created a 'Members Only' sub-forum and under that I have started to create sub-forum covering different topics.

I assigned members to the 'Members Only' sub-forum and assumed that they would then have automatic access to the sub-forums underneath. However, this does not seem to be the case. I have to go into each individual sub-forum and specify the members for that forum as well.

Given that there may well end up being a lot of sub-forums under 'Members Only', that will generate an awful lot of work on my part.

I'm I missing something and there's a better way of doing it so that I can assign the membership to 'Members Only' and have those members automatically access the sub-forums underneath it?

Regards

Alistair

Re: Forum Members Assignment

Hugo <Nabble>
You have posted as an anonymous user, so I can't look at your forums now to see what you did. Basically, all sub-forums should automatically inherit the privacy settings. So members that can view the "Members Only" forum should be able to view its sub-forums, unless you have specified otherwise in each sub-forum. Maybe you can paste a link and I can point you to the wrong configuration.

Re: Forum Members Assignment

Alistair Hamilton
Sorry Hugo, I didn't mean to post anonymously.

My forum is at http://betyourlife.blogspot.com/p/forum.html. You'll find the members section down the bottom.

The 'Members Only' should be configured so that Everyone can view the structure as I want everyone to see the 'By Invitation Only' topic in the 'Members Only' forum, but only Administrators can create any more topics at that level.

At the moment there is only one sub-forum, 'Strategies', but all the sub-forum should be automatically available to Members without me having to add them in.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Forum Members Assignment

Hugo <Nabble>
I checked your forum and your "Strategies" sub-forum should have [everyone, everyone, everyone, AND] selected in the "Who can view & post?" screen. Since the parent forum (Members Only) is configured to allow only members, you can select "Use my settings, AND parent settings" for the "Strategies" sub-forum. The "AND" option in this case will guarantee that only members will be allowed. Please try this and let me know if you have questions, comments or concerns.

Re: Forum Members Assignment

AlistairH
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Forum Members Assignment

Hugo <Nabble>
AlistairH wrote
1. I have a single pinned post in the 'Members Only' forum entitled 'By Invitation Only', the idea being that Everyone should be able to read this post to see how they might become a member. They should not be able to read or write anything in the forum or access any sub-forums. The changes I made essentially disables that. What is the best way to achieve the same ends.
I changed this configuration for you. This case is an exception and I changed it using my admin tools (normal users cannot do that). If more users ask for such configuration, we may make this configuration accessible to everyone.
AlistairH wrote
2. More importantly, I'm finding that any member I specify at the 'Members Only' level, can now access the sub-forums, which of course was the intention. However, when one of those members tries to make a post, they are asked to log in, even though they're already logged in via they're Nabble account. What am I doing wrong?
This sounds like a bug. Which browser/version do you use?

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Forum Members Assignment

Hugo <Nabble>