Forum & Blog

Dusan
i have similar problem to one presented here: http://support.nabble.com/Created-forum-amp-blog-td5847648.html

I've created a sub-forum in my forum, changed it to blog.
The problem is :
1. the Blog appears as a folder under Forum and I don't want that as I have separate Blog page;
2. The root of the Blog is the Forum, I don't want people to be able to go to the Forum from the Blog.

Now my question is how do I make the  Blog folder from the forum invisible and how do I make the Blog the root in the tree?

Thanks.

Re: Forum & Blog

GregChapman
Hi,
Dusan wrote
I've created a sub-forum in my forum, changed it to blog.
The problem is :
1. the Blog appears as a folder under Forum and I don't want that as I have separate Blog page;
If your new "sub-folder blog" is not needed as you have a completely different "separate Blog page" then all you need to do is delete your "sub-folder blog" as it appears that is not needed.

At the sub-folder blog go to: Options > Delete

However, I suspect I misunderstand as question 2 seems to suggest that you want to keep both your "sub-folder blog" and your "separate Blog page". You may need to clarify things for me!
2. The root of the Blog is the Forum, I don't want people to be able to go to the Forum from the Blog.
Generally, visitors will always be able to move between a forum and any sub-forum and back via the breadcrumb menu at the top of the app regardless of the apps at each level in the structure. Have you created your "separate Blog page" to avoid this problem?

If so, the be aware that your visitors will need to have two completely separate registrations with two completely different forums. This could be confusing for people if both apps are embedded into a single main web site.

You can prevent users seeing the content of the sub-forum by removing the "View" permission. From the sub-folder go to:
Options > Users > Change Permissions.
and remove the View permission from those groups that should not have access. Such users will then be presented with a "Access Request" screen when they click on the link.

You can read more about User Groups and User Permissions at my help page at:
http://greghelp.991552.n3.nabble.com/Controlling-Posting-on-a-Forum-tp4012778.html

It is also possible to completely hide various sub-forums from certain groups of users. At the root level see:
Options > Application > Extras &add-ons > Content > Smart Application Pages
Now my question is how do I make the  Blog folder from the forum invisible and how do I make the Blog the root in the tree?
There's two questions there!
1. See above
2. Create a completely new forum then go to the sub-forum blog and select:
Options > Structure > Change Parent > Set a New Parent
and enter the permalink of the new forum
then from the blog that's now a sub-forum of the new forum do a "Merge into Current Parent"

But then you have A forum, a previously "sub-forum blog" and a "separate Blog page". Do you really want that?

I think I remain confused!

Re: Forum & Blog

Dusan
Hi Greg,

Thank you for your swift reply! It is much appreciated.

I do not want the users to have to register separately for the Blog and the Forum; both will be under the same web-site, so from the users POV, it doesn't make any sense.

Is it possible to have a "root" with two sub-folders, a forum sub folder and a blog sub-folder, and the breadcrumbs not to go all the way to the root? Is it possible to remove permissions for the root folder? I guess that would remove permissions for the sub-folders as well, right? Please give me a solution for this.

Re: Forum & Blog

GregChapman
Dusan wrote
I do not want the users to have to register separately for the Blog and the Forum; both will be under the same web-site, so from the users POV, it doesn't make any sense.
When you say "under the same web site" I take it you mean that you do plan to embed the forum and blog on separate pages of your main site and this reply works with that assumption.
Is it possible to have a "root" with two sub-folders, a forum sub folder and a blog sub-folder, and the breadcrumbs not to go all the way to the root?
Removing the link to the root folder causes significant difficulties because the administrator will always need access to the root level in order to access the various administrator only options only available at that level. It is best to stick with Nabble's standard access control features, in spite of the aesthetic glitches that can be encountered when users try to explore areas for which they do not have access rights.
Is it possible to remove permissions for the root folder? I guess that would remove permissions for the sub-folders as well, right?
You're on the right track. By default sub-forums inherit the permissions from their parent but it is possible to over-ride these at each sub-forum level. This article might help:
http://greghelp.991552.n3.nabble.com/Controlling-Posting-on-a-Forum-td4012778.html

I have implemented something which I believe is similar to your requirement at:
http://www.stalhambaptist.org.uk/bulletin.php
and
http://www.stalhambaptist.org.uk/ourprayers.php
As you will see, these are two sub-forums of the same forum embedded in two separate pages of the main site.
The public cannot post on either, even if they register on the forum. Only those in the "Administrator", "Members" and other custom created user groups have viewing rights to the top level of the forum and the different groups each have their own sets of viewing and posting rights to various other sub-forums that reflect their involvement in the church (such as the worship band and Sunday school teachers) so each user gets highly personalised access to the forum. The only access they have in common is that which is viewable by the public.

You should find that if you try to register and explore areas to which you don't have access rights you'll get hopelessly locked locked out and the only option left becomes to refresh the page on the main site. It is not as neat as it could be, but only the curious will find themselves with no way out but to refresh the page on the main site.

If this meets your requirement and after reading the "Controlling Posting" article you need further help to get it to work, reply here!