Forum / Archive vanished

David
The Electric Vehicle Discussion List archive / forum has vanished, and my login no longer works.  Was it something I said???

Re: Forum / Archive vanished

Hugo <Nabble>
Sorry, it didn't vanish. Here it is:
http://old.nabble.com/Electric-Vehicle-Discussion-List-f25542.html

Note that we changed the URL to "old.nabble.com", so you have to update the embedding script in your website. Embedded forums work much better on the new system. Would you like to have this forum migrated to Nabble2?

Re: Forum / Archive vanished

David
> Here it is:

Many thanks!

Oddly, the embedding doesn't seem to be working quite right.

I changed the url in our homepage, so when I open the forum from there, it displays as embedded correctly.  But when viewed from the main Nabble menu (or the link you provided) the embedding vanishes.  Previously, viewing the forum from nabble.com's homepage caused our embedding to display.  (Magic. ;-)

I also can only log in when viewing the forum from our homepage.  From the Nabble homepage, my login is rejected.  Strange.

> Would you like to have this forum migrated to Nabble2?

Sorry to be ignorant, but other than smoother embeding, what are the other differences and improvements?  Any functional changes we should know about?  Can you point me to a resource that explains this?

Thanks again for your generous and helpful support!

Re: Forum / Archive vanished

Hugo <Nabble>
David wrote
I changed the url in our homepage, so when I open the forum from there, it displays as embedded correctly.  But when viewed from the main Nabble menu (or the link you provided) the embedding vanishes.  Previously, viewing the forum from nabble.com's homepage caused our embedding to display.  (Magic. ;-)

I also can only log in when viewing the forum from our homepage.  From the Nabble homepage, my login is rejected.  Strange.
Embedding in the old system has bugs. The new system works much better.
David wrote
Sorry to be ignorant, but other than smoother embeding, what are the other differences and improvements?  Any functional changes we should know about?  Can you point me to a resource that explains this?
Here I summarize the main differences:
http://n2.nabble.com/Differences-between-Nabble1-and-Nabble2-tp3925029p3925029.html

Please confirm if you want (or not) to have it migrated to Nabble2.

Re: Forum / Archive vanished

EVDL Administrator (David)
It looks like we really don't have a choice.

Just to be clear here - we've had outstanding service from Nabble over the last few years.  We have quite a few users who not only appreciate the archive service but also the forum front-end to our old-fashioned (but fast!) mailing list format.  So we're most grateful to you for providing this service.  If migrating makes it easier for you to provide support, then that seems like the most gracious response.

I'll open a new account with Nabble2, since this login doesn't seem to work over there.

Re: Forum / Archive vanished

David (EVDL Admin)
OK, I now have a new account (login) on Nabble 2.  I used the same email address.

Should I create a new forum, or will you simply convert the old one?

Thanks for all your help with this!

David

Re: Forum / Archive vanished

Hugo <Nabble>
There is no need to create a new forum on Nabble2.
We will probably start your migration tomorrow.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: Forum / Archive vanished

Hi David, the forum is being migrated now. If you want, you can update the embedding code in your website so that people can access the new archive from there. So go to the new forum and click on "Options > Embedding options" to get the new snippet.
http://n4.nabble.com/Electric-Vehicle-Discussion-List-f413529.html

When the number of topics in the new forum reaches 7683, the migration will be complete.

Re: Forum / Archive vanished

Hi David, the migration finished successfully. Please update the embedding code and let me know if you have questions, comments or concerns.

Re: Forum / Archive vanished

David (EVDL Admin)
Thanks - that was quick!

Alas, I updated the embedding code but it's not working.

I copied and pasted the exact snippet provided :

<a id="nabblelink"  href="http://n4.nabble.com/Electric-Vehicle-Discussion-List-f413529.html">Electric Vehicle >iscussion List</a>
<script src="http://n4.nabble.com/embed/f413529"></script>

... which I think was exactly the same as before except for the addresses.  However, the page displays white space where the forum should be in Firefox.  (I haven't tried other browsers.)  What am I doing wrong?

Here's the page :

http://www.evdl.org/archive/index_new.html

I did try enabling ALL cookies in the browser.  No change.  Is there some flag I neglected to set in Nabble config?  I didn't see any config links on the page.

Apologies for my ignorance, and thanks for your help!

David

Re: Forum / Archive vanished

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi David, thanks for reporting this.
We have fixed the issue and now your forum loads up fine.
Please let me know if you still have issues.

Re: Forum / Archive vanished

David (EVDL Admin)
Talk about rapid response!  Very impressive - a thousand thanks for fixing the problem so quickly.

Re: Forum / Archive vanished

Hugo <Nabble>
You are welcome!