File download by Registered user only

Uttam Saxena
Can we make a setting so that only a registered user can download the attached files with a post or can download after registering only.
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Re: File download by Registered user only

Hugo <Nabble>
Sorry, we don't have this feature. One alternative is to set your forum to "private", but only authorized users would be able to visit or post messages in your forum. I think this isn't your case. I am curious to know why you want this. May I ask?

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: File download by Registered user only

Uttam Saxena
Dear Sir,

I have created a forum for power engineers. I requested my community of engineers to register and contribute for helping each other on forum. I have started posting some downloadable attachment of pdf files which are useful for many. I have obseved that people are downloading those files but not registering and replying to technical issues and not participating in active way.

Making files to be downloaded by only registered users will make them an active member, I feel so. I do not want to make it private forum as the objective of the forum is to share our knowledge, expertise and experience with each other. I hope that you

if possible you can provide an option for forum owners to enable or disable this feature.

Thanks & Regards

Uttam

This email is a reply to your post @ http://n2.nabble.com/File-download-by-Registered-user-only-tp2101635p2104267.html

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Re: File download by Registered user only

Graham Perrin
Quoting selectively, with a little re-ordering:

Uttam Saxena wrote
I have created a forum … I requested my community … to register and contribute for helping each other on forum. I have started posting some downloadable attachment of pdf files which are useful for many. I have obseved that people are downloading those files …
All good.

… registering and replying to technical issues and … participating in active way. … active member … the objective of the forum is to share our knowledge, expertise and experience with each other.
Re <http://n2.nabble.com/Nabble-Latest-Features-f1559156.html> have you considered the new Workgroups format for your forum? <http://n2.nabble.com/Workgroups-td1559166.html>

Registered users may gain kudos, credibility etc. by assigning topics to themselves, or to trusted colleagues. I see Workgroups format as an incentive.

Making files to be downloaded by only registered users
That is certainly an interesting use case.

With a focus on your objective:

> to share our knowledge, expertise and experience

I wonder whether any *raising of a barrier* (to download) will be counter to the desire for your community to actively participate and to share.

In a separate topic <http://n2.nabble.com/-td1492000.html> I seek a lower barrier (to registration/participation).

I'll follow this download-related topic with interest.

Incidentally, without wishing to stray off-topic: are the majority of your 'assets' (for want of a better expression) in PDF format? Or are you equally happy to refer from your forum to HTML content elsewhere?

Thanks and regards
Graham