Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo
This post was updated on .
I have just commented on Facebook and referenced my latest post as a reply on my Forum using its permalink. I took this permalink from the reply / post that I had just added to the topic, ie. from Options... however the link that appears on Facebook is that for the first post within the topic, not my latest post / reply.

When there are just a few posts / replies under a topic, this is OK, I guess???

But my main issue at the moment is that Facebook displays the text / content of that first post... and not that which I am most interested in that is in my latest post / reply...  https://www.facebook.com/pages/knit4dolls/122061844540680

Is there a way to link to the latest post / reply?

Edit: I have changed the Topic meta tags so that the content seen on FB is more appropriate... but I don't want to have to do this every time I post on FB... but I'm not sure if it will change...

Anne

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

Peter <Nabble>
Can you tell me where did you click to get that permalink?

For me, the permalink of the last post is: http://knit4dolls-blog-and-forum.977845.n3.nabble.com/Football-strip-for-Action-Man-tp3387765p3433992.html

About the meta tag, it is advisable that each page has a different description. Search engines can ever lower your rank if you have duplicate meta tags.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo
This post was updated on .
nabble permalink zoom

So what you are saying is that the permalink DOES NOT direct users to the REPLIES, only to the post to which they relate???
Peter <Nabble> wrote
About the meta tag, it is advisable that each page has a different description. Search engines can ever lower your rank if you have duplicate meta tags.

I know what Google likes... But I don't understand what you mean here... You are saying that the Nabble meta tag for the post itself MUST apply to each reply...

But surely you cannot expect users to have to scroll down to find the applicable post... there might be several above and below it................

nabble permalink zoom earlier

NOTE.... The permalink of the earlier reply does not have the same link to the post itself......???????????????
YOUR TURN...
Anne

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo
Arrrrrrrrrrh... Are you going to say that this is another IE issue?

If I copy the permalink by using right click and copy with the mouse, then I get to the appropriate reply.
If I copy the permalink by using control and 'C' on the keyboard, then I go somewhere else... very likely to where I went to last, ie. the post itself...

Please can you fix it as most of my website visitors use IE?

Anne

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo wrote
So what you are saying is that the permalink DOES NOT direct users to the REPLIES, only to the post to which they relate???
Yes. A Permalink is a link to the individual post from which the Permalink was taken.
So the Permalink to the third post in this topic is this:
http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Facebook-shows-Topic-permalink-and-not-post-reply-content-tp6908386p6912830.html
and the Permalink to the first post is this:
http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Facebook-shows-Topic-permalink-and-not-post-reply-content-tp6908386p6908386.html

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo
Greg... Beat you by 3 mins...

Anyway... given that, then the meta tag for the post may not be relevant to the reply...

AND if the reply doesn't have its ony meta tag description, what will FB display???

Anne

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo wrote
Arrrrrrrrrrh... Are you going to say that this is another IE issue?
This is NOT an IE issue. Copy is a Windows function.

It depends entirely on where the focus is, and exactly what is selected, as to what will be copied.

You can use either right-click and the context menu or CTRL-C to copy the currently highlighted text.
Please can you fix it as most of my website visitors use IE?
There is nothing to fix. Dare I say, this one is "user error".

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo wrote
AND if the reply doesn't have its ony meta tag description, what will FB display???
I'll leave this issue for Peter. I haven't done any playing with Nabble Meta tags.

Anne

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo
This post was updated on .
That's not the (only) problem... Look at my FB page... https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/knit4dolls/122061844540680
nabble permalink zoom FB

So... even when the correctly displayed link is clicked, the post itself is opened up, and not the appropriate reply...
BUT is this Facebook or Nabble???????? Or me???????
Anne

Now I see what is happening. I will have to take a deeper look into it.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

I'm confused!

There are four posts on the page in question. The permalinks for each of them are:
http://knit4dolls-blog-and-forum.977845.n3.nabble.com/Football-strip-for-Action-Man-tp3387765p3387765.html
http://knit4dolls-blog-and-forum.977845.n3.nabble.com/Football-strip-for-Action-Man-tp3387765p3429056.html
http://knit4dolls-blog-and-forum.977845.n3.nabble.com/Football-strip-for-Action-Man-tp3387765p3433992.html
http://knit4dolls-blog-and-forum.977845.n3.nabble.com/Football-strip-for-Action-Man-tp3387765p3436366.html

As far as I can see you are only pasting the link to the 3rd post into Facebook (sometimes using a bit.ly version that points to the same address).

Which is the "appropriate reply"?

If it is the 2nd or 4th post, you need to open the MORE menu on the header line for those posts to pick up the permalink for those posts.

EDIT: I guess Peter has spotted something I haven't!

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo
This post was updated on .
Greg... Those links ALL go to the post itself... NOT to the replies...

Have you tried them?

Edit1:  Could this account for Harvey's duplicate tags?

Edit2:
The permalink for this reply on this forum, Free Support, is:
http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Facebook-shows-Topic-permalink-and-not-post-reply-content-tp6908386p6915412.html

The permalink for a reply on my forum is:
http://knit4dolls-blog-and-forum.977845.n3.nabble.com/Football-strip-for-Action-Man-tp3387765p3436366.html

Copy and paste each one into browser so as not to be bias...
One difference between the 2 forums is that mine is embedded...

Anne

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

OK! I see what Peter sees now. It is a Nabble issue that affects IE in unintended ways.

The links are all accurate, as posted, but somewhere along the line they all change by the time they hit a browser - any browser - but it's only IE (of those I have installed) that falls over and doesn't do what's intended.

I recall being confused by this conversion many months ago, when I first noticed that if I examined the contents of a permalink dialogue on a Nabble application it takes the form:

http://forum-name.123456.n?.nabble.com/Topic-Subject-Line-tp1234567.html

for the first post in a topic and

http://forum-name.123456.n3.nabble.com/Topic-Subject-Line-tp1234567p1234567.html

for a reply

However, if I looked at the contents of the address bar in my browser after clicking such a link it would take the form:

http://forumdomain/pages/forum.html#nabble-td1234567

for the first post in a topic and

http://forumdomain/pages/forum.html#nabble-td1234567%7Ca1234567

for a reply. (The "%7C" part is code for a vertical bar, and you see it as a bar in some browser address bars).

so somewhere within Nabble's server's there is a redirect going on that converts the URL.

It seems that IE is not handling that code as intended.

Newbie web designers are always advised not to have uppercase or spaces in folder and file names. Some servers are case sensitive others are not and that can cause web content to "go missing" for some visitors. A space is an illegal character in a web address. It normally gets converted to a similar code, %20, but there is no consistency in the way the space or code are handled, again causing content to go missing for some visitors. I fear something similar is happening here.

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo
GregChapman wrote
I recall being confused ... many months ago...
I recall being confused many months ago but gave up. But when you see it in black and white on Facebook and with real users/visitors/people involved, it becomes more critical...

Anne

The fix will be released soon.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

GregChapman
mywaytoo wrote
These links are not working for me any more... IE issue on 3 of them and 500 on the other...
They are all dummy links showing only the format of the URL. They never worked as real links.

Just wondering how it's coming along?
Anne

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

Peter <Nabble>
It should be working now. Isn't it working for you?
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.
123