Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo
This post was updated on .
No... it isn't working...  https://www.facebook.com/pages/knit4dolls/122061844540680

It is a fix for a BUG... not a request for Help...

Anne

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

Peter <Nabble>
I realize it's a bug. I'll need more time.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Please, verify if it is working for you now.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo
Yes... now it's going to the correct reply... but on Facebook it is still showing the text from the original post...

nabble facebook text the same

Anne

I'll have to check it but I think it is very hard to fix it. It seems facebook is not following the inner page anchors.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo
This post was updated on .
Peter... I am concerned about this text issue for 2 reasons...
1. I want the text to be appropriate, and to make sense to my users,
2. I want to maximise my SEO...

I remember Harvey talking about duplicated descriptions. I'm not bright enough to follow all of these discussions, but I am worried that you have made alterations to descriptions to rule out duplication as Google may penalise it.

Arrrh... I have just checked... and 'Change title and meta tags' only applies to the top level / original post... I remember discussing this elsewhere too...

Hmmm!

For me to make full use of SEO, I need to have individual control over 'description' and 'meta tags' for each reply...
well, each of my replies / additional comments on my blog...

Anne

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

Harvey
mywaytoo wrote
Peter... I am concerned about this text issue for 2 reasons...
1. I want the text to be appropriate, and to make sense to my users,
2. I want to maximise my SEO...

I remember Harvey talking about duplicated descriptions. I'm not bright enough to follow all of these discussions, but I am worried that you have made alterations to descriptions to rule out duplication as Google may penalise it.

Arrrh... I have just checked... and 'Change title and meta tags' only applies to the top level / original post... I remember discussing this elsewhere too...

Hmmm!

For me to make full use of SEO, I need to have individual control over 'description' and 'meta tags' for each reply...
well, each of my replies / additional comments on my blog...
To be honest I'm not sure where we got on this. I "think" (not positive) that the subsequent pages (2, 3, 4 etc) are no longer indexed?  Not ideal but could reduce duplicate errors.

Do you have webmaster tools installed for your site? If not, do it and you can keep track of dupes.

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo
This post was updated on .
Harvey... I don't know how to...

I know duplicates are bad news... but it would be very good news if we could use these descriptions and/or tags for our SEO.... I have some unusual strategies for SEO, or marketing, but seem to do quite well in Google's SERPs.

I don't mean to plug my forum but if you look at my forum, apart from all the usual keywords, I could get very high on Google for searches for Kilmarnock FC (football club).

Now it seems to me that I can attract visitors who want knitting patterns without too much effort, and they either like them or not. What I strive to do is attract visitors who are searching elsewhere and happen to bump into my website, and like what they see... people who would never have given knitting patterns a second thought...

I think that Nabble could offer this opportunity... if we could access each individual post... in particular our individual posts, because we can use 'influencial words' in our text... I remember suggesting (somewhere) ways to cope with descriptions and tags from users' posts...

Anyway... think about it!

EDIT: Just googled 'kilmarnock fc home strip'... nothing to do with knitting... and it has brought up my post on Facebook that links to my forum on Page 5 of SERPs...
QUOTE for FB
knit4dolls | Facebookwww.facebook.com/pages/knit4dolls/122061844540680Cached
... I have just posted a photo of our knit4dolls Action Man Kilmarnock FC Home strip 2011 on our Forum. http://bit.ly/nhjjZv · Football strip for Action Man - knit4dolls ...
UNQUOTE

Would be nice if it was the other way round... and without human (me) intervention...
Anne

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

Harvey
Install webmaster tools:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSSUl4qsB-I

This issue is one Hugo, Peter and I have gone around and around on.

Title tags are easily doable and I think the existing Nabble default actually handles it. The Meta descriptions are another matter. If you pull it from the top post on each page then it could be WAY off topic.

I also thought you could just pull the same one but add "Page 2" for it.

Ultimately Peter decided - I think - to noindex following pages. It's a bit of a bummer because a 20 page thread could have a lot of value for search.  But it should remove dupes.

Peter do I have this right?

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

Peter <Nabble>
ok, first things first...
I don't know if FB is getting the text from the description or the first post but anyway it doesn't get the text from the reply because the reply does not have a meta description (as it only works for pages, not for sections on a page).
If FB is getting the first lines instead of the description (which I doubt) than again there is nothing we can do about it.

Harvey, if I remember correctly we would add something like "Page #" at the description, wouldn't we? Like the titles?

I have made some identifiable changes to the Title and Description of the original post. The text content is unchanged. I'll check it on FB tomorrow.
Anne

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo
Harvey... Oh, I have got Webmaster Tools, just didn't know how the forum would fit in...

QUOTE
2 duplicates recorded...
Knit for Bratz, Barbie, Action Man dolls, and HM Armed Forces toys, blog
/pa​ges​/bl​og.​htm​l
/pa​ges​/bl​og.​htm​l?e​ntr​y=o​h-w​her​e-d​oes​-th​e-t​ime
UNQUOTE

Knit for Bratz, Barbie, Action Man dolls, and HM Armed Forces toys, blog... This is from my website source code...

/pa​ges​/bl​og.​htm​l... This is from my website

/pa​ges​/bl​og.​htm​l?e​ntr​y=o​h-w​her​e-d​oes​-th​e-t​ime... I seem to remember writing this, but can't remember where...

Forum Description and Meta tags are at Nabble's default settings.

I'll look again tomorrow.
Anne

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo
Although FB is now showing the photo from the correct reply, the text is that which I wrote in the original post... Why is that? I can't see reference to Meta Tags or Description anywhere...

Anne

I can't tell. What FB chooses to display is up to FB.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo
Peter... I can't see that FB would go to a permalink and display it, but take text from the original post... They would have to have 2 permalinks to do that...

How does it work? How do FB get the permalinks?
Anne

When you share something, the link is sent to FB.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo
OK... So Nabble send FB the permalink for the reply... So far, so good!
So why don't they take the text from that link?

If it's not Nabble's fault, then I'll ask FB about it...
Anne

If the post you shared is really the reply and not the first post (you can check it following the link on FB page and seeing where it leads) than it is a FB issue and you should ask them.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

mywaytoo
This post was updated on .
I happened to notice a similar link with another website on FB...

Egypt meta description on FB
Egypt meta source code

'Egypt travel advice' is the Page name at http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/middle-east-north-africa/egypt

The source code for this page shows 2 meta names... "DC.description" and "description", which both have the same content... This seems to come from the description meta tag... and is what is displayed on FB...

http://www.fco.gov.uk/ is a link to the website's Home page.

It looks to me as if the text is coming from the description meta tag. What do you think?

Anne

Re: Facebook shows Topic permalink, and not post / reply content...

Harvey
IF (big IF) I am understanding this right you are wondering why FB doesn't automatically populate your post with the content from the link you are posting.

If that is what you are wondering, it has always been a problem for me on both my google blog and the forum. Sometimes you get what you want and sometimes you don't.

I recently learned that if you click on the text that is populated you can CHANGE it.  Now I just accept it and populate that field manually. It's a pain but it works.

IF on the other hand I have misunderstood the point of this post please ignore me.