Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

MarioG
Hi Greg and Anne,
I hope I haven't begun an argument here.
SEO is a matter of coding as you find it in most source codes of most sites site but is dependent on your interpretation.
Google made some changes quite some time ago in reference to SEO (metadata)
Google I believe, don't pay as much attention to keywords as they used to.  In fact
I've heard (only heard) that they completely disregard metadata especially in 'flash sites' and direct their
concentration on site content and more to the point HTML content which is very little in flash sites.
Very unfair if yoyu ask me.

I can only speak from what I have learnt from my Wix experience (albeit perhaps incorrect) that HTML coding is hiding behind the scenes of their flash sites which is supposed the increase web visibility (SEO).
I question it's effectiveness however.

Mario

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

mywaytoo wrote
Greg... you cut my quote off a bit too early...
Perhaps you misunderstood my point. I agree with you completely in the stuff I didn't quote, so I felt there was no need to refer to it as I had no comment to make on it.

The bit I did quote was to emphasise how the first part - a denial of the need for attention to coding techniques - was followed by an assertion of the vital need for the very tags I had in mind and to me "tags" equals "coding" - so I think our debate is just about the words I used, not the thought behind them.

I fancy you don't realise how much you have absorbed about coding web sites when you say of titles, headings and metatags:

the things that everybody will be doing...
Experience on the KompoZer forum teaches me that most newcomers to web design, operate as if they were using Windows, WRITE or the more recent WORDPAD. They just select text and click a toolbar button to make it bigger or bolder. The refinements of WORD's styles and templates have passed them by. If they had discovered them then they would be instinctively coding their text with appropriate semantic HTML tags, as you clearly do.

I don't think that Mario need fear he's started an argument. I think that, broadly speaking, we agree with each other.

Before I leave the topic and get back to Nabble support, just one more word on "coding", SEO and web-based site creators, and word processor and DTP based web design software that encourage a "drag and drop" approach to web design, advertising themselves as "No HTML knowledge needed".

These products almost always use code that involves absolute positioning techniques. Not only does this produce sites that don't display well on screens and windows of a radically different size to the designer's, it also places the code in a near random order. Although it may not be as vital as inserting appropriate text in title and heading tags, generally search engines do give some weight to position on the page, ranking the text in similar tags near the top as more important than the text in similar tags further down the page. Using drag and drop to shift content around, can easily mean that some of the most vital page page content gets analysed inappropriately in the search engine's database.

I'm not denying that the stress you place on good content isn't absolutely right, but for the best possible ranking, good code is needed too. I understand that Google's algorithms have recently changed and that both "content farms" and poorly coded sites will be reduced in ranking as a result of that change.

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

mywaytoo

Anne
12