Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

MarioG
Is nabble not compatible with Windows Explorer 9?
Ended up installing Firefox and now it works.
I can't expect my forum users to install another browser just to get on the forum.
What do I do now, scrap my forum???

Mario

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

GregChapman
Please be specific.

What is your forum? What aspect is corrupt/not working/etc under IE9?

Everything's working fine on my forums/blogs.

(OK, slight exageration! I did have to sort out a little CSS recently, and that "corrected" CSS still doesn't work on my Android Phone browser, but I can live with that for the moment.)

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

Peter <Nabble>
Greg, what is not working on your Android?

Mario, what problems are you having and what is your URL?
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

MarioG
Thanks Peter, I was hoping to launch this on the 1st August.
essendon-camera-club.1058514.n5.nabble.com
It works fine on my desk top using XP
It worked fine on my laptop using Vista

I just installed Windows Explorer 9 on my laptop and all sites I can get.

I can't however log into my forum using Windows 9, Windows can't find my nable url.
I then installed Firefox and was able to access nable

I then tried Windows Networks Diagnostics and got this...

"Windows cannot find "essendon-camera-club.1058514.n5.nabble.com
Windows sent the request to the DNS server and the server responded
that the name was unknown".

I'm an ex moderator for Wix.com and know that most problems are user caused
but can't see what the problem ismariogerada.

I just tried it again before sending this email and now I'm able to access the (my) forum.
Not working before and working now, I know doesn't help you so lets not worry about it for now.
and see how it eventuates.

Thanks,
Mario

Hi Mario,
Congratulations on your new forum!

Please bookmark the link above or save this email so that you have a way to find your forum in the future.

You can also promote your forum by sending the link to your friends, embedding it onto your website or talking about it on other forums.

Regards,
The Nabble Team
http://www.nabble.com/

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

mywaytoo
essendon-camera-club... I only looked at your Forum because I think you live near me...

Just to let you know that, if you want to, you can put your 'In this area' comments in the description that will appear underneath the heading. That has advantages in that it will also be displayed if the page is presented in another way... Ooops... link should be to the preceding layer (knit4dolls Blog and Forum › knit4dolls Forum)

There always seems to be something new to learn about...
Anne

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

MarioG
Anne, thanks for the comment, I was aware of that but decided to do it the way I did because our
club members (some of them) are pretty senior.
I appreciate you looking at the forum and offering suggestion.

I had a look at yours and my god! you put me too shame, it's great.
How do you do all that stuff.... obviously not a newbie.

I'm pretty much stmbling around and would like to make up something like yours but
I guess I got a lot of learning to do to catch up to your experience level.

You in the Glenroy area, 15 minutes away.
Hi Neigbour!

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

Peter <Nabble> wrote
Greg, what is not working on your Android?
Take a look at:
http://www.gregafloat.plus.com/blog/index.html

I have used CSS to set margins to "compress" all the links at the top of the embedded Nabble "News" application and I'm sure this is the root of the problem.

In FF5 and IE9 things display as I want. However, on my "HTC Wildfire S", a smartphone with 3.2" screen, the "New Post" and "People" graphics and links overlap while the "Options" links display as expected.

I used to have an even worse overlap problem on IE9 but managed to adjust the CSS margins to display properly. So it's probably me trying to ask too much of Nabble or my code not being optimal, rather than something I can blame on Nabble. However, any suggestions would be welcome.

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

mywaytoo
Grrrh... I just lost my post so I'll have to write it again...

I have learnt a bit, but I'm still learning all the time, certainly not an expert. I get so far with something, and then run out of time and just leave it... but the beauty of Nabble is that things are not set in stone... you can change your mind and display things differently with the click of a button.

You can learn a great deal from other people's post on this Forum and by looking at what they have done on their sites.

Nabble are working on Templates for us to use to make changing the appearance of our Fourms a lot easier. So just do a bit at a time... Should be fun!

Anne

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

MarioG
Anne,
I submitted a message on you site, please read.

Mario

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

mywaytoo
Mario... Oooops... You're in Essendon in Australia. I'm talking about Essendon in the UK... LOL

Strange! The embed tags don't work on Nabble's Forum...
Anne

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

Peter <Nabble>
Hey Mario, it is probably a cache problem or the DNS server your IE9 is using has a problem. I can access your site from my IE9.

Just for the record I'm using Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) but it should work with any DNS server as long as it doesn't have any problem.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

MarioG
Hi Peter,
Yes, I'm thinking it is a cache issue but ok now.
Not to worry.

Regards my friend,
Mario

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

MarioG
In the UK? I suppose a cuppa and a chat is out of the question then,,,, lol.
I wanted to know more about your site and how you did it.

If you have any links to any sites that have Nable embedded I like to have a look.
Mine is a Flash site, I'm able to embed Nable but I'd like to satisfy my curiosity first
and see what others have done.

Cheers for now,

Mario

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

GregChapman
MarioG wrote
If you have any links to any sites that have Nable embedded I like to have a look.
Mine is a Flash site, I'm able to embed Nable but I'd like to satisfy my curiosity first
and see what others have done.
Anne, has her Welwyn Garden City and Knitting sites. I'm sure she'll supply the URLs.

I have already mentioned my blog (though I use Nabble's "News" application for it) at:
http://www.gregafloat.plus.com/blog/index.html
and a forum at:
http://www.seahawk17.plus.com/forum.htm
which are both examples of what can be done to integrate a Nabble application in an existing site.

Nabble's forthcoming Templates feature promises yet more customising possibilities, though you can do quite well without embedding. there's a site at:
http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/
which looks reasonable.

Prepare for a rant:
I hope your site doesn't use it exclusively and only contains a little Flash, where animation is necessary - and it very rarely is necessary. Flash turns everything into graphics. It makes things slow to download, prevents those who need to resize type to read things from being able to, so can break anti-discrimination laws in many countries, hides content from search engines. Makes things difficult or impossible to print. In fact, generally, should be avoided at all costs.

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

mywaytoo
Mario... Mine are knit4dolls and WelwynHatfieldCommunity. I've got another one as well but I haven't done much to it.

Nabble have loads of Forums, Blogs etc listed, but they are not embedded into websites. However you can see different applications and layouts.

My website's software is a bit naff, was good years ago but has not been updated. I see you've got moonfruit. Are you happy with it? I fancy wix. You can use the search box on the Nabble Free Support page and search for wix. Quite a few people have asked questions about that. Not moonfruit I'm afraid, but as wix uses flash too there might be similarities.
Anne

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

MarioG
Hi Anne,
No, Moonfruit is the platform site my camera club has been using.
I've just taken over as editor and made a better site using Wix and thought I'd attach a forum to it here.
I've been working with Wix for some years and quite expert with it, I was even the moderator there for a time.

Moonfruit is very much less friendly than Wix and Wix has so many advantages. The wix site I made for the club was rejected last night at an AGM so I'm stuck with Moonfruit.

Having said that I might chuck it in as I don't want to spend another two years getting up to the level I am with Wix. The main problem with Wix is it's very poor SEO.
This is the site I was proposing..
(http://www.wix.com/mariogerada/ecclub) plus a nable forum not yet attached.
.
and since it's been knocked back I'm going to scuttle the nable forum.

I'm rather pissed off right now by people who don't know the difference between a start button and a URL making decisions on websites.

In all honesty though i couldn't recomend Wix if Google is going to have problems with it.

Cheers

Mario ♠.

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

GregChapman
Hi Mario,

Sounds like you have enough technical knowledge to begin to build your own sites with a decent application, rather than those hideous web-based tools, which have the issues you have mentioned (not to mention Flash <spit!>).

If you want to stick with a WYSIWYG tool you could consider KompoZer and the very useful support forum. I post there a lot as "GregTutor" which may put you off, of course! More seriously, there's a group of regulars with a good range of skills and experience of different platforms who are always willing to help new users. Do consider it. Nothing beats hand crafted code for getting what you want from a site, especially for SEO considerations.

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

mywaytoo
This post was updated on .
I wish... well, anyway...

SEO isn't a matter of coding... Once you've got your titles, headings, meta tags and whatever else... the things that everybody will be doing... it all boils down to your individual content... your text. You must write good, accurate, interesting and unique content, with sufficient keywords but not 'stuffed'. I always recommend Google's Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide... straight out of the horse's mouth, so to speak...

I like the look of wix, because they supply ALL DOCUMENTATION AND VIDEOS BEFOREHAND... You can learn all about EVERYTHING before you even start a FREE WEBSITE that will be free-for-life... You can pay for enhancements, eg. a store... fair enough!

They do have SEO documentation... BUT as I said before, YOU / I / WE / ADMINS / whatever... must put the effort into page content, especially these days with Google looking for improvements to help their customers... those using the Google search engine who want accurate results, fast.

Nabble have H1 and H2 headings (and lower, but these are not worth the effort). Hopefully with their new templates, for those of us who cannot code well, we will have easier and consistant access to these, and maybe other SEO criteria.

Anne

Re: Explorer 9 & Nable not compatible?

GregChapman
mywaytoo wrote
SEO isn't a matter of coding... Once you've got your titles, headings, meta tags
Yes I was drifting off-topic, and considering Mario's reference to Moonfruit and Wix, and not concentrating on Nabble. But SEO most definitely is a matter of coding.

However, your reference to titles, headings, and the description meta tag just about covers the coding aspect, and you're right about content too. What I had in mind was that many of the sites produced with web-based site builder tools is that they are produced entirely visually, with text enlarged or made bold, rather than defined with heading tags. In fact I find that no semantic tags at all is the norm.