Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

Gary Lewis
It has probably already been covered, but I cannot find it.  Anyway, I'm testing Nabble as a forum on my web site.  The web site is Garysgaragemahal.com and the forum is on the Bullnose Forum page.  My problem is that the email links that are sent when someone posts takes them to Nabble and not to my web site.  I'm looking for a way to direct them to my web site.  Is there a way to do that?

Also, and pressing my luck, is there a way to do bulleted lists and indentation?

Thanks,
Gary
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

Gary Lewis
I found a thread in here that seemed to say the problem was having a dash in the URL to the page.  As you can see above, my forum page was named "Bullnose Forum", and that did cause Weebly to put a dash in the URL.  So I changed the name of the page to Forum, which changed the URL, and posted.  Unfortunately that didn't work.

But, now that I've re-read the other thread I realize it was a "#" and not a "-", so I was barking up the wrong tree.  Anyway, use this link to see my page: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/forum.html.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

Gary Lewis wrote
I'm testing Nabble as a forum on my web site ... My problem is that the email links that are sent when someone posts takes them to Nabble and not to my web site.  I'm looking for a way to direct them to my web site.  Is there a way to do that?
It sounds as if you have not set the "Redirect to:" option under Embedding Options.
is there a way to do bulleted lists and indentation?
You need to check the "Message is in HTML format" box and add the necessary tags.

To indent a paragraph add an appropriate styling instruction to the opening tag, e.g.

If you want a lot of flashy formatting then It's probably best to use a text editor with facilities for HTML coding and then paste the resulting code into the Babble.

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

Gary Lewis
Greg - You are THE MAN! I'm feeling now like some of the guys on the Ford forum when I answer their question. THANK YOU! Yes, it wasn't redirected. And, after redirecting it and then getting a 404 'cause it was going to /bullnose-forum and I'd changed it to /forum I changed it back and it works! Now, for the bulleted lists and indentation.
GregChapman wrote
If you want a lot of flashy formatting then It's probably best to use a text editor with facilities for HTML coding and then paste the resulting code into the Babble.
Let me see if I understand. Nabble doesn't have a way to click on a button and create bulleted lists or indentation. So, I have two options:
  • Have anyone that wants to do that check the "Message is in HTML Format" box and then write in HTML
  • Have anyone that wants to do that write their post in some text editor, and then copy/paste the stuff into "the Babble", which must be the other text, like I'm typing?
Man, that's gonna be a bummer as I'm the king of bulleted lists and indentation, and while I might be able to do it I can't ask anyone else to do either of those things. Is there no way to add the features to Nabble?
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

GregChapman
I haven't got time to refine this idea further at the moment, but you could try adding this code to the CSS box under: Options > Application > Change appearance.
div.root-text h6, div.message-text h6 {
  font-weight: normal;
  font-size: 112%;
  margin-left: 0;
  padding-left: 20px;
}

div.root-text h6:before, div.message-text h6:before {
  content: url(/images/smiley/smiley_beam.gif);
  margin-left: 0px;
  padding-right: 5px;
}
You should find that it alters the appearance of anything within H6 heading tags so that it uses a smiley as a bullet. If you think this is an idea worth developing then you might like to see Some Other Effects I created for another Nabble forum I maintain.

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

Gary Lewis
Greg - Thanks.  I will follow up on the Some Other Effects link and see what has been done. But, for doing fancy editing things we've learned that the ability to respond via email does what we need to do - if you are on a real computer. But I haven't figured out how to get to bullets and indentation on this iPad yet, much less my iPhone.

Anyway, the forum is coming along nicely and we may actually make it visible to the public very soon. However, I have done some reading and realize that the advertising thing has been off and on. Do you know what the plans are for the future?  I want my site to be advert-less to the user, so don't want to get it established and then find that adverts got turned back on.

Thanks again!

On Monday, August 7, 2017, GregChapman [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I haven't got time to refine this idea further at the moment, but you could try adding this code to the CSS box under: Options > Application > Change appearance.
div.root-text h6, div.message-text h6 {
  font-weight: normal;
  font-size: 112%;
  margin-left: 0;
  padding-left: 20px;
}

div.root-text h6:before, div.message-text h6:before {
  content: url(/images/smiley/smiley_beam.gif);
  margin-left: 0px;
  padding-right: 5px;
}
You should find that it alters the appearance of anything within H6 heading tags so that it uses a smiley as a bullet. If you think this is an idea worth developing then you might like to see Some Other Effects I created for another Nabble forum I maintain.
Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!

http://support.nabble.com/Email-Link-To-My-Site-Not-Nabble-tp7598378p7598392.html
To unsubscribe from Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?, click here.
NAML
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

GregChapman
Gary Lewis wrote
I want my site to be advert-less to the
user, so don't want to get it established and then find that adverts got
turned back on.
It's true that Nabble has been through a difficult time over the last year or so. I'm simply a user and am not party to any business decisions at Nabble. My information comes only from snippets picked up from posts by the Nabble team on this forum.

My current understanding is that some experiments are going on that are intended to see the return of advertising to the service. However, I have always assumed that when adverts returned administrators would be able to opt to have them removed from their forum, as has always happened in the past.

I also understand that it is hoped to migrate all Nabble Forums to a new platform that will have an open source approach that will, in turn, encourage third party developers to become involved.

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

Gary Lewis
Hmmm. "Nabble has been through a difficult time over the last year or so." That's kinda concerning. Is Nabble going to still be around?  Should I go live with the forum?  And if adverts return but admins have the ability to turn them off how do they make money? I'm ok contributing some minimal fee so my users don't have to see adverts. 😳

As for migration, is it safe to assume that will happen on the servers and the people like me won't have to do much, if anything?

[...]

http://support.nabble.com/Email-Link-To-My-Site-Not-Nabble-tp7598378p7598394.html
To unsubscribe from Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?, click here.
NAML
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

GregChapman
I've become much more confident about the future of Nabble since Franklin has taken on the support role - although I am now expecting Nabble to morph eventually into "Blazma" which is the current name for the new forum project Franklin and others are working on.

I should have made clear that "opt to have adverts removed" was on the basis of a fee paid.

It is certainly my expectation that migration to Blasma will be seamless although, obviously, a new platform will mean changes that may affect some while others may notice nothing of consequence.

I rely a great deal on Nabble, using it for a number of my client's sites and consequentially have invested a fair bit of time in getting to know its quirks. I have found nothing to match it at any price. I certainly want it to be a successful product.

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

Gary Lewis
Glad to see that you have confidence in it.

What kind of fee are we talking about?  Roughly?

http://support.nabble.com/Email-Link-To-My-Site-Not-Nabble-tp7598378p7598396.html
To unsubscribe from Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?, click here.
NAML

I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

GregChapman
My memory would have said US$3.95 per month but this topic seems to suggest it was $5.

http://support.nabble.com/Premium-Site-Question-td7594869.html#a7594910

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

Gary Lewis
Thanks.  $5/mo isn't too bad.  I'm more than happy to pay that if it'll ensure they keep improving the product.  And one thing I vote for is improved editing, including of the sub-forum descriptions.  I'm thinking of using one of the descriptions as the actual reason for that sub-forum, and I've had to learn just enough HTML to be dangerous in order to get it formatted.

http://support.nabble.com/Email-Link-To-My-Site-Not-Nabble-tp7598378p7598398.html
To unsubscribe from Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?, click here.
NAML

I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

Just did a little more investigation. This code is working in my test forum as a way of prefixing any H6 heading with a bullet.

Line 2 adds the bullet plus two non-breaking spaces.
Lines 7-12 remove the default bold text for any heading and returns the size to that expected for a body or paragraph text and could be used by themselves if you just want to create an indented paragraph.
The comments record the function of the margin and padding lines.
div.root-text h6:before, div.message-text h6:before {
  content: "\2022\00A0\00A0" ;
  margin: 0 0 0 -1em; /*Sets Bullet outdent*/
  padding-right: 0em; /*Sets space after bullet*/
}

div.root-text h6, div.message-text h6 {
  margin: 0 0 0 5em; /*Sets left margin*/
  padding: 0;        /*Sets line spacing*/
  font-size: 1em;
  font-weight: 400;
}

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

Gary Lewis
Wow!  Thank you!!    I installed that code and it works perfectly for bullets.  Then I used the bottom block and changed H6 to H5 and it works for indentation.

I'm 70 and am retired from a career in IT, but had embraced the Peter Principle seriously.  When I retired I was managing people who managed people who knew what they were doing.  But, in my day I've programmed machine language, Basic, & Fortran, and probably a few other languages.  However, I have a book which helps me understand HTML or CSS as I'm far from native in them.  So, I'll look at the book to better understand what you did - and how I can do some things myself.

For instance, surely there's a way to put other options in the More drop down.  Or add another button.  If so, your code could be invoked from something that was easier for my users to remember than H5 and H6.

But, this works wonderfully!  Thank YOU!
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

GregChapman
Gary Lewis wrote
I'm 70 and am retired from a career in IT ... in my day I've programmed machine language, Basic, & Fortran, and probably a few other languages.  However, I have a book which helps me understand HTML or CSS as I'm far from native in them.  So, I'll look at the book to better understand what you did - and how I can do some things myself.
I turned 69 on the first of the month. Way back when... I was a dab hand with Z80 Assembler, but never got beyond Batch files when I moved to 16bit architecture, and have never programmed in high level languages in a Windows environment. because I could always find a program that did what I wanted it to do. That changed when the Internet came along and I wanted to build web sites. Back then you had to use code to do it so I was motivated enough to learn. HTML and CSS I can almost manage in my sleep, but I'm still a complete novice at JavaScript and PHP.
For instance, surely there's a way to put other options in the More drop down.  Or add another button.  If so, your code could be invoked from something that was easier for my users to remember than H5 and H6.
That will require hacking the NAML code (access it from the "Edit this page" link at the bottom of most Nabble pages.) As that looks a little like all the languages I've never come to terms with, I can't help with that side of things - except at the most "general principles" level. Obviously, because the NAML is used to generate HTML and CSS, I can figure out a few things, but don;t ask me write write anything from scratch. I just haven't got my head around the syntax.

Having said all that, hunt around in the "Old" forum and you will find references to some people who have attempted/managed to plug in a more conventional WYSIWYG editor to replace the standard Nabble one. However, I believe there were some unresolved issued that meant it could never be adopted for the main package.

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

Gary Lewis
Interesting!  I built an 8085 system from the chip up, and wrote the operating system myself.  And I worked on PDP8's, which were 12-bit machines.  Still remember that a Halt is a 7402.  But, I don't know where I parked the car.

Anyway, I think I'll pass on the NAML coding opportunity.  At this point I think my new forum is going to take enough time to get off the ground that I don't need another challenge.  However, one question that I have yet to answer from my users is how or why they get logged off and have to log back on.  I've done some reading but haven't figured out when it is supposed to be required.  Do you know?

http://support.nabble.com/Email-Link-To-My-Site-Not-Nabble-tp7598378p7598413.html
To unsubscribe from Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?, click here.
NAML

I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

Gary Lewis
Greg - I hate to bombard you, but you seem to know your way around Nabble quite well.  We are seeing some odd things regarding log-in.  Two of us have been chatting and responding by clicking on the link in email and going to the thread and posting.  All of a sudden the other guy got a log-in screen, but noticed that he's still logged in since he sees his name in the upper right.  I tried it and got essentially the same thing, as shown below.  And, I had another window open to the forum and it was still logged in, as I proved by going to another thread.

Do you have any clue what is going on?  I'm starting to get concerned....

I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

Gary Lewis wrote
one question that I have yet to
answer from my users is how or why they get logged off and have to log back
on.
I think this is the same question that you post in your follow-up.

You have encountered a bug in Nabble. For unknown reasons Nabble sometimes presents a login screen when a user is already logged in. As you have identified when it occurs you do not see the login and register links, but the username of the person logged in. The workaround is simply to navigate away from the screen with a click/tap on the forum name link at the top left.

It is annoying and confusing to newcomers but as I have never been able identify what sets it off and it is relatively rare ( I might see it once a month across the whole range of Nabble forums I maintain) I haver never formally reported it as a bug on the Support forum although I have posted the work around to those posting a similar question.

EDIT: I should add that the bug comes in clusters. Once you see it, it is likey to recur a few times before going away again, especially if you fall into the trap of attempting to login again.

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

GregChapman
I've now formally reported it:
http://support.nabble.com/BUG-REPORT-Login-Screen-Appears-When-Already-Logged-In-td7598419.html

Re: Email Link To My Site & Not Nabble?

Gary Lewis
Thanks!  Last evening was a bit of a problem as at least two of us were seeing that issue frequently, and I was seeing it on every post. I hope they can solve it as it is confusing to new users, and all of my users are new.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/
12