Edit this page tab causes confusion

kevinseddon
I would like to remove the "edit this page" tab. I have only just generated my first  beekeeping forum and the first member to register has informed me that they have access to a restricted area. I know this is not the case but it is extremely confusing for the members. Please advise how I can remove or edit this tab.

Re: Edit this page tab causes confusion

GregChapman
Hi Kevin,
kevinseddon wrote
I would like to remove the "edit this page" tab. I have only just generated my first  beekeeping forum and the first member to register has informed me that they have access to a restricted area. I know this is not the case but it is extremely confusing for the members. Please advise how I can remove or edit this tab.
I suspect that you are over-reacting and you just happen to have an unusual first registration who explores everything possible.

You should NEVER remove this link. If you do you do not have access to edit forum in ways that the standard interface allows - and it is quite likely that you will need this facility.

I guess you could return the link to read "See how NAML generates this page" if you think that would be less confusing. Check out this forum for the many answers to questions that include that phrase.

Re: Edit this page tab causes confusion

kevinseddon
Thanks Greg,
 I don't think that I am over reacting and only  time will tell how many more members this will cause confusion to.
I understand that this link needs to be available for the administrator but don't understand why the other members need to see it if it of no use to them!
In my opinion this link should be added to the administrators options tab.
There is no requirement for anyone else to see, access or be confused by it.

Re: Edit this page tab causes confusion

GregChapman
I do see your point.

I suspect that the main reason it is there is as a feature to promote Nabble. The kind of user that will click on it and explore what's there could be the kind who'll want to investigate Nabble further if they need an embeddable forum.

There's nothing to stop you editing the NAML so that it does only appear to those logged on as administrators.

Re: Edit this page tab causes confusion

kevinseddon
Thanks Greg, the only thing that would stop me is my lack of expertise in these matters. This is my first website and forum set up for a group of ageing beekeepers. I would be grateful if you would give me some direct help with this to save me hours of trawling through support forums that do not make a lot of sense to me.

Re: Edit this page tab causes confusion

GregChapman
I regret I do not have complete confidence in my own NAML skills to advise. Hopefully, one of the Nabble Team will be along to help shortly.

Re: Edit this page tab causes confusion

Mencey Melgar
Hi, please take a look to this topic. You will see "edit this page" instead of "see how naml generates this page"
:) Helper

Re: Edit this page tab causes confusion

GregChapman
Hi Lou,

But that doesn't give the information about how to make it an Administrator-only facility.

There are clues within this topic:
http://support.nabble.com/How-to-post-seniority-of-members-tp7362353p7375410.html
but it's something I didn't want to try on my test forum in case I didn't get it right first time and cut myself out of access to NAML code.

Re: Edit this page tab causes confusion

kevinseddon
Thanks Greg and Lou for your help. I have now managed to rename "Edit this Page" to NAML which I am happy with. I don't seem to have the phrase "See how NAML generates this page" on my Forum but clicking on "Edit this page" directed me to the same route and directions to edit  my page successfully.

Re: Edit this page tab causes confusion

Mencey Melgar
Right, but I understood that naml is a way to promote nabble, anyways if you really want to hide it for normal users I'll tell you how(I want your opinion about this Greg :))
:) Helper

Re: Edit this page tab causes confusion

Underground
LouK wrote
Right, but I understood that naml is a way to promote nabble, anyways if you really want to hide it for normal users I'll tell you how(I want your opinion about this Greg :))
good sounds

Re: Edit this page tab causes confusion

Hi LouK,
LouK wrote
Right, but I understood that naml is a way to promote nabble, anyways if you really want to hide it for normal users I'll tell you how(I want your opinion about this Greg :))
From a very personal point of view - I'm just an enthusiastic user with no authority to speak for Nabble at all - I reckon it does make sense to hide the "Edit this page" link from all but administrators, as it is only those to whom it has any interest on a live forum.

However, I do realise that if hidden from normal users, it would mean someone considering launching a forum for their site would need to create a dummy forum to realise how flexible a platform Nabble is, so there is an argument for Nabble wanting it retained for all.

Then again, Nabble's home page fails to mention NAML and how it makes Nabble applications so flexible, so I'd say it's a weak argument. (The closest you get is a "powered by" link that points you at external lower-level tools used by Nabble.) I also read that Nabble is on a path to move away from NAML and adopt an alternative language, so, on balance, I suspect that retaining the link need not be a priority.

Re: Edit this page tab causes confusion

I don't understand why you want to remove the NAML link since only the admin would edit it. The regular users could only see the code and this code doesn't have any private information.

Re: Edit this page tab causes confusion

kevinseddon
I thought I had made it clear why I wish to remove the "Edit this Page" link on every ordinary  members page .  If you still don't understand why I would wish to do this after reading my reasons then I really can't think of any other simpler way to explain it.
I've changed it now so it doesn't matter anymore but thanks for your interest.

Re: Edit this page tab causes confusion

Hi Pedro,

I think it is a concern that some users will always explore.

Some of these will see "all that technical stuff" and fear it might be a gateway that others, more technical, could exploit maliciously. For them there will be a feeling that Nabble is a slightly flaky insecure platform because non-technical people should never be able to access such stuff.

Obviously, this is the opposite effect to the one that I have been suggesting is the reason why Nabble would want people to see the link.

My view is that those likely to use Nabble as their forum platform will create a dummy account, explore and find the link, will ordinary forum users should not see it.

Re: Edit this page tab causes confusion

Pedro
I just don't see how it could be exploit maliciously.

Re: Edit this page tab causes confusion

GregChapman
I know that!

You know that!

But it doesn't stop the less experienced worrying that those who don't hide that technical stuff have an insecure system. I am suggesting that they associate being able to see stuff that irrelevant as being insecure and dangerous.