Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions

Re: Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions

Would it be possible to have title tags for the main forum and sub forums like this, so that keywords would only be used in the top page:

Top Level Page:

NY Ski Forums | Trip Reports, Ski Conditions, Weather, Gear | Harvey Road

Subforum First Page:

NY Ski Forums | The Woodstove: Skiing, Snow, Mountains | Harvey Road
NY Ski Forums | Summer Sports: Hiking, Camping, Paddling, Biking | Harvey Road
NY Ski Forums | Off-Topic | Harvey Road
NY Ski Forums | Weather: Eastern US and Canada | Harvey Road
NY Ski Forums | Gear Exchange: Buy, Sell, Ask, Answer | Harvey Road
NY Ski Forums | Winter Trip Reports, TRs | Harvey Road
NY Ski Forums | NYSB Guide to Blog, Forum and Magazine | Harvey Road
NY Ski Forums | The Shed | Harvey Road

Subforum Subsequent Pages:

default for new subforums:

NY Ski Forums | {Subforum name}: Page # | Harvey Road

existing forums:

NY Ski Forums | The Woodstove: Page # | Harvey Road
NY Ski Forums | Summer Sports: Page # | Harvey Road
NY Ski Forums | Off-Topic: Page #| Harvey Road
NY Ski Forums | Weather: Page # | Harvey Road
NY Ski Forums | Gear Exchange: Page # | Harvey Road
NY Ski Forums | Winter Trip Reports: Page # | Harvey Road
NY Ski Forums | NYSkiBlog Guide: Page # | Harvey Road
NY Ski Forums | The Shed: Page # | Harvey Road

Posts:

{Post title} | NY Ski Forums

{Post title}: Page 2 | NY Ski Forums

Then we'd have to deal with TOPICS at the top level:

NY Ski Forums | Topics | Harvey Road

NY Ski Forums | Topics: Page 2 | Harvey Road

Re: Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions

Harvey
Here's an interesting twist. Do we really need the standard view?

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/-f932206.standard.html

I don't see a difference other than the "pins" and the lack of descriptions.

Then all the subsequent standard pages are empty:

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/-f932206i36.standard.html

Re: Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions

Peter <Nabble>
OK, I'll try to answer everything.

Do you want us to restore the default titles?

I'm unaware of these errors with other forums. I just know that people don't complain about them.

Yes, you will be able to view, change, try, etc.

I think we can remove it from topics view also. I have to check it but I'm pretty sure this is possible. Do you want it removed?

No problem. :-)
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Do you want the standard view removed?
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions

What is the advantage of standard view?  Would you actually be
removing it  or just deleting links to it?  If I changed my mind in
the future and wanted it back would that be difficult for
you?

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Peter <Nabble> [via Nabble Support]
<ml-node+s1n6804635h15@n2.nabble.com> wrote:
> Do you want the standard view removed?
> Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NYSkiBlog
----------
Harvey Road: www.NYSkiBlog.com
NY Ski Forum: forum.NYSkiBlog.com
NY Ski Magazine: mag.NYSkiBlog.com

Re: Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions

I wanted to test this in my other (test) forum but I need to keep that
forum private.

I REALLY like the topics view at the top level. I want to keep it there.

At one point in the past Threaded view was being indexed by google and
Hugo stopped that, can you do the same with topics view?

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Peter <Nabble> [via Nabble Support]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, I'll try to answer everything.
>
> Do you want us to restore the default titles?
>
> I'm unaware of these errors with other forums. I just know that people don't
> complain about them.
>
> Yes, you will be able to view, change, try, etc.
>
> I think we can remove it from topics view also. I have to check it but I'm
> pretty sure this is possible. Do you want it removed?
>
> No problem. :-)
> Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NYSkiBlog
----------
Harvey Road: www.NYSkiBlog.com
NY Ski Forum: forum.NYSkiBlog.com
NY Ski Magazine: mag.NYSkiBlog.com

Re: Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions

Harvey
Interesting. These two links are listed in webmaster tools as having duplicate title tags:

http://www.nyskiblog.com/p/harvey-road-forum.html#nabble-f932206i64.topics
http://www.nyskiblog.com/p/harvey-road-forum.html#nabble-f932206i72.topics

and indeed they do. Both show as "Page 5" at the top level, but the list of posts on each page is different.  Is it possible that in TOPICS view each individual post can be indexed as a page, but it gives it the closest numbered title tag - ie "Page 5" ?

Re: Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions

Hugo <Nabble>
As I explained here, only the main page of the app should be indexed by google and other search engines. This will reduce other number of duplicate information on the webmaster tools.

Harvey, please review this thread and let us know what you want to do next. There are several requests discussed here but we are not sure what to do and what is really important for you. You may create a new thread for each request to keep the discussion simple.

Re: Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions

Harvey
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
As I explained here, only the main page of the app should be indexed by google and other search engines. This will reduce other number of duplicate information on the webmaster tools.

Harvey, please review this thread and let us know what you want to do next. There are several requests discussed here but we are not sure what to do and what is really important for you. You may create a new thread for each request to keep the discussion simple.
Sorry I am making this difficult.  It's because I don't fully understand every aspect of how the forum works.  I'm sure you have a better understanding than I do.

This is what I want to do:

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Duplicate-title-tags-and-meta-descriptions-tp6759630p6803041.html

but I think we should wait a few more days to see what the results are in webmaster tools.  I will post again when I think we should go ahead with the changes in the link above.

Re: Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions

Harvey
Webmaster tools update 9/22:

Reduced number of duplicate title tags.
Increase number of duplicate meta descriptions.

Changes are small.

I'd like to wait for one more update (probably on 9/25 I'm guessing) and then make the changes to the title tags above.

How can we handle the meta descriptions for Page2, Page3 etc?

Also will want to figure out a solution for the newspaper. It seems simpler because the comments don't run onto mulitple pages. Can you confirm?  There are certainly way less duplication errors in the newspaper. Most are from the Embed Options page which I think is no noindex no follow?

Re: Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey44 wrote
How can we handle the meta descriptions for Page2, Page3 etc?
We don't show meta descriptions in page 2 and beyond. Only page 1 has meta descriptions because that's the only page that gets indexed.
Harvey44 wrote
Also will want to figure out a solution for the newspaper. It seems simpler because the comments don't run onto mulitple pages. Can you confirm?
They do run onto multiple pages – here is an example.
Harvey44 wrote
Yes, google should remove those pages from its index soon.

Re: Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions

Harvey
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Harvey44 wrote
How can we handle the meta descriptions for Page2, Page3 etc?
We don't show meta descriptions in page 2 and beyond. Only page 1 has meta descriptions because that's the only page that gets indexed.
I am seeing page 2's in the index:

Google probably needs some days to fix the index.

Re: Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions

Harvey
Ok so you are saying that he additional pages (2,3 etc) were previously indexed but not now. (?)

That's probably not a bad solution really.

Re: Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions

Hugo <Nabble>
Yes, those pages were indexed in the past, but we changed the meta data so that only the first page gets indexed. Let's keep an eye on the numbers and see how good or bad this decision was.

Re: Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions

Harvey
I'd like to go ahead with this now:

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Duplicate-title-tags-and-meta-descriptions-tp6759630p6803041.html

Webmaster Tools is showing another increase in errors. But I can imagine what we are doing above would be worse. In any case, I want to see what errors we get with the new system.

I'll edit the post above to fill in the "Keywords."

OK, we will do it then.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions

Harvey
Question:

You once provided me with code to get the outer host page to ASSUME the title tag of the embedded page.

Is there a way to do that with Meta descriptions?

I'm wondering if that would help my duplicate meta descriptions which continue to grow.

I'll go check it for you.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Duplicate title tags and meta descriptions

Peter <Nabble>
Harvey, I'm afraid it won't work. This is done with javascript. One thing is to change the title so the browser runs the code and we can see it updated. Another thing is the search crawler. It ignores javascript so the meta tag won't be changed to the crawler.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.
123456