Duplicate registration?

Jim Capron
I am experiencing subtle issues with respect to managing the two Nabble forums that I have created in recent weeks, and I think it may be that Nabble thinks that I am two different people, even though my email address and passwords are the same.

For example, I log into Nable and visit one of the sites, and have all the admin functions available. I then go to the other site and I am not shown as viewing the site under my name. I show up as an anonymous user. I have to log on again, using the same email address and password. Now I show up as viewing the site by name.

Can a Nabble administrator merge my two accounts (if they exist as duplcates), under one registered account? The issues extend to managing users and being aware of new users registering to one of the sites.

Thanks,
Jim Capron

Re: Duplicate registration?

Harvey
If the two forum are different apps (sounds like they are) I don't THINK this can be done.

I have three apps and would like "membership" to be universal across all three.  It's hard to explain to users, when all three are part of the same site. But they are really different websites.

I think.

Re: Duplicate registration?

Jim Capron wrote
I am experiencing subtle issues with respect to managing the two Nabble forums that I have created in recent weeks, and I think it may be that Nabble thinks that I am two different people, even though my email address and passwords are the same.
That sounds right to me! i.e. Nabble does think you are two separate people.

A user id (username or address) only needs to be unique in a single Nabble forum. Nabble will not automatically link applications where a user happens to use the same address - and I don't think Nabble even thinks about cross-checking passwords!
Can a Nabble administrator merge my two accounts (if they exist as duplcates), under one registered account? The issues extend to managing users and being aware of new users registering to one of the sites.
By "Nabble Administrator" I assume you mean Nabble staff rather than you as administrator of your two forums?

I believe you can do it yourself - or at least initiate the process yourself, via:

Options > Structure > Change parent

(I forget whether entering the permalink of a completely separate forum as the new parent requires Nabble staff intervention.)

If you want two separate forums with a common registration/membership system then the normal technique is to create the two forums as sub-forums of a "holding/parent" forum. Is there some reason you didn't do that in the first place?

Re: Duplicate registration?

Hi Harvey,
Harvey wrote
I have three apps and would like "membership" to be universal across all three.
I trust you are following the Hidden Application topic closely. I would hope that once we have the issues resolved you would be able to take advantage and merge those applications of yours.

The topic started as a request to extend hidden applications to below the root application. Currently, in the standard Nabble product only the immediate sub-forum of the root application can be fully hidden - and the feature only works with certain applications. :-(

It has developed to the point where the issue is now how to hide the root link that appears at the top left of all pages, so the immediate sub-forums can appear to be the root application.

This would appear to be just what you (and I'm sure a lot of other people) are seeking.

Re: Duplicate registration?

About your questions, Greg and Harvey have well explained.

Re: Duplicate registration?

Jim Capron
Thanks Greg.

I don't want to link or merge the applications. They are two different groups with two different purposes, but I am the originator and administrator of both.

I am either two different persons to Nabble (maybe three now that I registered for support!), or Nabble forgets that I logged in when I move between forums in the same browser session. So far, I have not had a problem logging in to either application, so maybe this is a non issue. If I had known that Nabble did not key on my email address, I would have used a different password for each site.

Re: Duplicate registration?

Jim Capron
Not exactly, but maybe that is because I did not explain the issue properly. Anyway, you can close this issue for now. I will come back if it presents a problem.

Re: Duplicate registration?

Jim Capron wrote
If I had known that Nabble did not key on my email address, I would have used a different password for each site.
That shouldn't be a problem either as you can change your password easily.

Login to whatever forum for which you would like a new password and click your username at the top right then select:

Account settings > Edit personal information

and on the screen that appears you can change either/both your username and password.

Re: Duplicate registration?

GregChapman
I should have added that Nabble plants cookies in your browser that distinguish between your various forums. It allows you to have multiple forum tabs open and be logged into each simultaneously without any conflict.