Deleting posts deletes too many replies

Planet Jackson
This post was updated on .
I recently had to remove some posts from my forum.  Other users had posted comments after the original posts by hitting the reply button on the post directly above them.  When I went to delete the posts, ALL the posts after them disappeared as well.  Is there any way to choose which posts and replies get deleted without being so heavy handed?  Not all replies after the deleted ones needed to be erased.
Site Administrator Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Deleting posts deletes too many replies

Hugo <Nabble>
This is strange because replies usually discuss the subject of parent posts. So if you remove a post, replies probably won't make sense anymore. But you can move them back if you want. Open those replies and click on "More > Move post to..." and then paste the permalink of the new parent post.

I tried that several times and it didn't work.  In my forum the topics are broad and comments often meander within that broad range.  It is very conversational.  I am also concerned about the loss of downstream comments when a registered user deletes their account.  I find that most people simply click "reply" on the post above them rather than navigating back to the first page of a thread.  This creates many downstream comments tied to various members' comments...which might be tied to numerous other comments upstream.  Are you now understanding my concern about deleting more than one post at a time without prompting?  I think this should be changed so that the forum owner has the option of how to delete the posts.
Site Administrator Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Deleting posts deletes too many replies

Hugo <Nabble>
Planet Jackson wrote
I tried that several times and it didn't work.
Why? Do you get an error message?
Planet Jackson wrote
In my forum the topics are broad and comments often meander within that broad range.  It is very conversational.  I am also concerned about the loss of downstream comments when a registered user deletes their account.  I find that most people simply click "reply" on the post above them rather than navigating back to the first page of a thread.  This creates many downstream comments tied to various members' comments...which might be tied to numerous other comments upstream.  Are you now understanding my concern about deleting more than one post at a time without prompting?  I think this should be changed so that the forum owner has the option of how to delete the posts.
This is not so simple, as I explained here:
http://n2.nabble.com/New-feature-Deactivating-membership-but-not-deleting-posts-tp4541392p4584224.html