Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

sportsfan2000
As an admin, am I allowed to delete posts that are not favorable or duplicate or spam? If this has already been discussed, can you direct me? My forum is on a Weebly site.

Can I add a logo to my Nabble forum?

I added a description to the main page of the forum, but I want to change it. How do I do that?

Thanks.

Re: Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

haozwang<Nabble>
yes you can ban users and delete all their posts. on the post node click on "more" to have option to delete post. to ban user click on their user name to get onto their user info page to ban them and delete all their posts.

Options->application->edit name and description to add icons

Re: Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

sportsfan2000 wrote
As an admin, am I allowed to delete posts that are not favorable or duplicate or spam?
Yes.
You will find a "Delete" option on the menu under "More" against any post and under the "Options" menu for any topic.
Can I add a logo to my Nabble forum?
You can insert an image in the description area of any forum or sub-forum.
Where do you want the logo?
I added a description to the main page of the forum, but I want to change it. How do I do that?
Go to: Options > Application > Edit name & description.

EDIT: Oops! someone got there while I was typing!

Re: Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

sportsfan2000
Hmmm... when I click the "Options" link I get 2 options in a dropdown: "subscribe by email" and "post by email."

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks, but I still think I'm doing something wrong. On the post I want to delete, under options I only see "subscribe by email," "embed post" and "permalink."  What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Under "more" I only see "print post" and "permalink."

Re: Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

sportsfan2000
Actually I don't think I was properly logged in. Now I see all the functionality. Thank you.

Re: Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

GregChapman
You've worked it out while I was asleep.

Depending on whether you are logged in and once logged in which User Groups you belong to the options that you see will differ.

My post on the Greg help forum gives more information:
http://greghelp.991552.n3.nabble.com/Controlling-Posting-on-a-Forum-td4012778.html

Re: Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

sportsfan2000
Two questions:

Is it possible to use a logo only and not a title to my forum? I have a custom logo and I don't need a title. All I am able to do is put one character there so I'm able to save. Or, is it possible to make the text white so it can't be seen?

When I read the description to my forum on my mobile device, it is not optimized (it bleeds off the page). Is it possible to optimize it for mobile?

Thanks.

Re: Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

GregChapman
sportsfan2000 wrote
Is it possible to use a logo only and not a title to my forum? I have a custom logo and I don't need a title.
No! Because need a Title
A title is needed as that forms the root navigation link for the breadcrumb menu system which begins to build as you add more and more levels of sub-forum. Visit
http://support.nabble.com/Resolved-f2257895.html
to see an example of it in action. It is near impossible to return to previous levels once you begin to drill down into a forum without the breadcrumb menu system.
is it possible to make the text white so it can't be seen?
No! Because it would make many other important links invisible too!
When I read the description to my forum on my mobile device, it is not optimized (it bleeds off the page). Is it possible to optimize it for mobile?
We need to see your your forum to understand why the description text does not wrap. Post a link so we can see the code behind it to work out why it may not work.
Visit my GregHelp forum and you'll find a long description that wraps normally. Yours should too!

Re: Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

sportsfan2000
Thanks. If you have any feedback as to how to post the logo more effectively or to manage the title and the logo together, I'd appreciate it. This site will officially launch soon. Logo is still in draft.

http://www.rateclubsoccersocal.com/forum.html

Re: Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

haozwang<Nabble>
There might be a way for the title but it’s a naml hack to not display it. Let me see what I can do

Re: Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

GregChapman
Hi sportsfan2000,

Ah! I was forgetting about the main title and only thinking about the effect on the Breadcrumb menu when I said
"No! Because it would make many other important links invisible too! "
While the breadcrumb menu may not be relevant now, by the time your forum is populated with messages and you begin to need different areas within your forum it becomes the primary way to navigate around your forum.

It should only be a matter of commenting out the line:
<h1 id="forum-title" class="app-title-[n.id/] adbayes-content"><n.subject/></h1>
in the macro app_body_header to remove the title from the main page. I'll let Peter do that for you rather than attempt to give instructions for you to follow. I'm guessing that Peter, like me, was thinking of other implications in removing the title. What you enter in the "Title" field when you edit your forum name is used in a number of places in the code. It can effect such things as your chance of coming high in search engine rankings by removing it.

Incidentally, you seem to have cured the problem with the description. It all wraps nicely on all the mobile devices I have and the logo is pleasantly centred. Do you feel that issue is resolved now?

Re: Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

sportsfan2000
Thank you very much. As far as optimize for mobile, when I hold my iphone vertically the text doesn't wrap. When I hold it horizontally the text is fine. I'm not going to stress about it. You guys have been super helpful.

Regarding the title, thank you. I do want the forum title to help me with searches, but it's embedded in a website so not sure how that affects things. Also, is there a way to change the color of the title or is it just black? Thanks

Re: Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

haozwang<Nabble>
you can do what Greg says just remove the line. the title is actually still there since its controlled by a different macro. that line is the header display

Thanks. Can you tell me how to get to that macro? I am not sure how to find it. Thanks

Re: Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

GregChapman
1. Click on the link "Edit this page" at the bottom right of most forum pages
(The NAML screen for that page opens)
2. Click on the Cog Wheel button beside the current macro name
(A menu appears)
3. Click on "Search Macros"
(The Macro Search page appears)
4. Enter "app_body_header" (without the quotes) and click the "Search" button
(The results screen appears. This should show the macro searched for)
5. Click the "app_body_header" link
(The app_body_header macro screen appears)
6. Click the "Override this macro" button
(A second editable version of the macro code appears)
7. Line 4  of the macro should read:
<h1 id="forum-title" class="app-title-[n.id/] adbayes-content"><n.subject/></h1>
NOTE: Rather than deleting it, I recommend turning it into a "comment" .i.e a piece of code that never gets acted on. This makes it easy to re-instate it later if your requirements change.
Edit the line to become:
<!-- <h1 id="forum-title" class="app-title-[n.id/] adbayes-content"><n.subject/></h1> -->
This wraps the code in opening and closing HTML comment tags.
(As you complete this the line should turn orange, leaving the rest of the code's syntax highlighting intact.)
8. Click the "Save Changes" button.
(The screen briefly shows a yellow background "Saving data" message)

The job is now done and you can click on your forum home link at the top left of the page.

I strongly urge you to return your forum title to display something meaningful, perhaps "Forum Home", as it does form an important navigation link the need for which will become apparent as you begin to generate areas (sub-forums) within your forum for the discussion of different topics.

For example I frequently create "House Rules" "FAQs" areas in my forums, in which ordinary users cannot post, and an "Introduce Yourself" area, where those who register are asked to post, before they are granted "Member" status which allows them to post elsewhere in the forum. (In some cases the "Description" field is the place I use to give those instructions. If you've read my posts at the links I posted earlier you will begin to understand the need for this.

Re: Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

sportsfan2000
Thanks. As a moderator, I want to have a few permanent posts such as for how to use the forum, website, etc. Is there a way to do that? I want them to keep the same position on the page. Thanks.

Re: Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

GregChapman
You do that by pinning a topic. Once you have made the post, go to;

Options > Pin topic

Once you have a number of topics pinned you may change their order from the forum home page  at:

Options > Structure > Manage pinned topics

Re: Deleting posts, adding logo, changing text in headline

sportsfan2000
Is it possible to include text under pinned topics, such as on the forum below? All the topics on the main page below are pinned, with instructions under. Thanks.

http://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php
123