Delete banned users

Silvana
Ciao. Is it possible to permanently delete a banned user? Can I delete him from the group of registered users?
I do not like to have spammers  in my list for ever. Thanks
I'm Italian. Excuse me if I'll make mistakes writing my posts. Ciao
This is my site: "La chiave nel pozzo"..
..and this is my forum: "La chiave nel pozzo - il forum"

Re: Delete banned users

GregChapman
I agree that now that spammers appear to have found Nabble and are making a sustained system-wide attack, removing banned users from the displayed list of registered users is becoming desirable, if not a necessity.

Re: Delete banned users

Silvana
Yes, is so. Please add this option! If we can not prevent spammers to sign in, you allow us, at least, to delete them from the list.
I'm Italian. Excuse me if I'll make mistakes writing my posts. Ciao
This is my site: "La chiave nel pozzo"..
..and this is my forum: "La chiave nel pozzo - il forum"
1j1

Re: Delete banned users

1j1
Being able for forum admin to delete other people's accounts would be nice.  I too wouldn't want to keep "junk" in the list of registered users.

Re: Delete banned users

Pedro
Actually, if you see at "People" link, banned users won't be there. But I see your point, I will fix it.

Re: Delete banned users

Pedro
It has been fixed. It will be working on the next release.

Re: Delete banned users

mywaytoo
Pedro... Are you removing spammers from 'All Users' and 'Registered Users'... Well, everywhere except 'Banned Users'?

My 'People' link just allows a choice of 2 groups to be listed... Administrators and Members... Is that correct?
Anne

Re: Delete banned users

Harvey
I agree with this would make sense to remove them.

I assumed they remained in registered users so they couldn't register again. If they are removed can the same email address reregister?

Re: Delete banned users

Silvana
Please, can someone explain to me what Pedro did? I'm not sure I have understood correctly: Banned users will disappear from the list of subscribers and will remain only in the  banned list. It is so? What it means: "It will be working on the next release."?  When this release will be made and how?  We have to do something? Thanks for the explanation ..
I'm Italian. Excuse me if I'll make mistakes writing my posts. Ciao
This is my site: "La chiave nel pozzo"..
..and this is my forum: "La chiave nel pozzo - il forum"

Re: Delete banned users

GregChapman
Silvana wrote
Please, can someone explain to me what Pedro did?
I, too, am not sure what Pedro was referring to when he said "It has been fixed".

What I see this now is:

In the "People" list on the main menu banned users do not show.
Note: If you remove all groups from the User Permission "Show_group_members" then the "People" option disappears from the main menu.

Banned users continue to be listed as Registered users under the option "Manage Users and Groups" (That option is only visible to those logged in as Administrators.)
I'm not sure I have understood correctly: Banned users will disappear from the list of subscribers
Be careful with your terms. "Subscribers" are those who have opted to receive forum posts by email. The spammers that we are concerned about would never do that!

Subscribers do not even have to be "Registered" and there is no facility for the ordinary user to see a list of subscribers. It is only accessible to Administrators through the "Manage Subscribers" option. Ordinary users can only see the members of those groups you choose to check in the "Show_group_members" permission - by default these are "Registered", "Administrators" and "Members" (Many administrators do not even implement this last group, so I would say it would be better if this was not part of the default settings.)
and will remain only in the  banned list. It is so?
As indicated above, Banned users are visible to administrators as they are included in the list of Registered users on the "Manage Users and Groups" screen. They also appear in the "Manage Banned Users" screen. Banned users are not visible to ordinary users from the "People" option.
What it means: "It will be working on the next release."?  When this release will be made and how?  We have to do something?
Nabble are improving their code on a daily basis. Normally these updates are rolled out to the various Nabble servers overnight. In many cases these will be technical improvements in the code that are invisible to users but help forums and the servers run more efficiently. It is this nightly update that Pedro refers to as "the next release". Forum administrators don't need to do anything. They will simply notice new features or options become available or a change in the appearance or behaviour of their forum.

Re: Delete banned users

Silvana
GregChapman wrote
Be careful with your terms. "Subscribers" are those who have opted to receive forum posts by email. The spammers that we are concerned about would never do that!
You're right, Greg. I'm sorry, I wrote the wrong word. I should have written "Registered users" and not  "Subscribers"....(I still do a lot of mistakes! ).
Thank you for your explanations, you're always very kind.
I was hoping to remove spammers from the list of registered users. If  banned users were only in their list, it would be better, but, perhaps, this can not be done.
Thanks to Pedro for his work. Ciao..to all ..
I'm Italian. Excuse me if I'll make mistakes writing my posts. Ciao
This is my site: "La chiave nel pozzo"..
..and this is my forum: "La chiave nel pozzo - il forum"

Re: Delete banned users

mywaytoo
Harvey wrote
I assumed they remained in registered users so they couldn't register again. If they are removed can the same email address reregister?
It would make more sense to me that 'Banned Users', if they HAVE to remain in a list of Users, should be stored as 'All Users', and then 'Registered Users' could store ALL CURRENT USERS, in that Banned Users are not currently users. It worries me that I could, and probably would at some stage, copy my list of 'Registered Users' in order to send them all an email, in which case I would be sending to the spammers too... Thank you for your help with this problem.
Anne

Re: Delete banned users

mywaytoo
I'm wondering whether Nabble could perhaps create a Banned User List that we could add email addresses to. I'm assuming that it's the same creeps who are registering on our forums. If they are banned from the Free Support forum then maybe they might give up, or at least have more trouble in getting to our forums.

AND maybe we could put them in our Banned User lists BEFORE they register, OR at least check that they are spammers, OR EVEN maybe Nabble could automatically put them into our Banned User lists...

Of course if we could access their IP addresses, then we could enter them on http://www.stopforumspam.com/
On looking down those already entered on Stop Forum Spam, I am guessing that we just have children messing around... Oh, had another look and they are on there too... ?????
Anne

Re: Delete banned users

mywaytoo

Re: Delete banned users

Harvey
Stopforumspam.com is awesome

This guy is on my forum now:

He is from Pakistan:

He shows up in stopforumspam.com.

I will delete him a moment after his spam masterpiece is posted, with none of it's links working!

Re: Delete banned users

mywaytoo
This post was updated on .
Harvey... I would delete him immediately...

I have posted on Google's forum in relation to spammers and gmail, and a lot of people are complaining that they are receiving spam from gmail accounts from what looks like legitimate websites... errr, yours and mine!

It seems to me that they are emailing / contacting other users of our forums and hence widening their circle... OH, do 'Registered Users' have access to email addresses of other registered users??? If we could isolate them from accessing other users, this might be a great help...

stopforumspam.com is great... but you need to have access to spammer's IP addresses in order to enter them on the stopforumspam.com database of spammers... I haven't got access to these, but judging by one of your posts, you have. Was that included in one of your paid-for requests? Perhaps this is why Nabble are susceptible to spammers...

Edit: HANG ON... Spammers can just sit there and wait for us to send out an email to the group and then get all the email addresses... GRRRRRH
Anne

Re: Delete banned users

GregChapman
Hi Anne,
mywaytoo wrote
I have posted on Google's forum in relation to spammers and gmail, and a lot of people are complaining that they are receiving spam from gmail accounts from what looks like legitimate websites... errr, yours and mine!
I am aware that customers of BTInternet.com, seem to suffer a very aggressive spam filter which always places mail from nabble.com addresses in their spam box. I have ask all subscribers using one of their addresses to add the addresses of my nabble forums to their white list.
do 'Registered Users' have access to email addresses of other registered users???
No!
Registered users cannot access the true email addresses of forum users. While they can send an email to a registered user, via the forum it arrives in the Nabble-ized form and they don't even see what that is. And, if a subscriber, the mail arrives with a Nabble-ized "From:" address. Only a forum administrator can see the true registered address.
stopforumspam.com is great... but you need to have access to spammer's IP addresses in order to enter them on the stopforumspam.com database of spammers... I haven't got access to these
You may not have it provided for you within Nabble, but a Google search will provide plenty of tools to help you do that.
Edit: HANG ON... Spammers can just sit there and wait for us to send out an email to the group and then get all the email addresses... GRRRRRH
I don't understand this!

Unless you are saying that you, as a forum administrator, are harvesting the list of addresses from the "Manage User Groups" screen and posting an email "To:"  them all  in un-cloaked form (not even using your "Bcc:" feature).

Re: Delete banned users

Harvey
SPAM control idea:

WHAT IF when you banned someone there was box you could check:

√ BANNED FOR SPAM

(you might ban them for other reasons and not check the box)

If you checked that box then that email address would be kept in a Nabble database never be able to register for ANY Nabble App.

Then at least we would all be helping each other and Nabble wouldn't be as likely to be seen as a target by spammers?

Re: Delete banned users

mywaytoo
GregChapman wrote
do 'Registered Users' have access to email addresses of other registered users???
No!
Registered users cannot access the true email addresses of forum users. While they can send an email to a registered user, via the forum it arrives in the Nabble-ized form and they don't even see what that is. And, if a subscriber, the mail arrives with a Nabble-ized "From:" address. Only a forum administrator can see the true registered address.
Silly me, my fault... I should have asked if spammers could contact our users... Clearly if they use any method of communication with our users, spammers can pass on their details and get them to respond... Not acceptable!!!

Anne

Re: Delete banned users

mywaytoo
This is similar to what I suggested somewhere else (?)...

Harvey wrote
Then at least we would all be helping each other and Nabble wouldn't be as likely to be seen as a target by spammers?
This is a good idea... but, personally I would rather NOT keep spammers intermingled with my users, whichever group(s) they are in, whether they are checked or not...

Suggestions... I would like to:
1. remove spammers from everywhere / every group on my forum.
2. place spammer's email addresses in a database to:
... prevent them getting onto my forum again
... prevent them getting onto anyone else's forum
... allow us access to check whether an email address is entered or not
... leave our 'Banned Users' group to hold only those who we might allow access to our forums at a later date.
3. ensure that all entered email addresses of spammers are not on other people's forums:
... remove all known spammers from other people's forums
... supply a list of spammers for all admin to remove spammers themselves.
4. enter details of known spammers onto stopforumspam.com to help other software users.

 Any comments on these ideas?
Anne
123