Custom Google Search Engine integration with nabble forums?

Custom Google Search Engine integration with nabble forums?

jasonray
I am attempting to create a custom google search engine that will index both my (embedded) nabble forum(s) and website.  The search picks up information that is in the root (http://www.connectopensource.org/display/NHINFORUMS/Forums) and post descriptions, but not picking up on information that is in the forum post body.

I have seen a few other references to nabble issues with google searches - is my issue consistent with these other issues.

Asking the question so I know whether to keep pushing down the road of customizing the search engine or wait for a nabble patch.

Thanks!

Re: Custom Google Search Engine integration with nabble forums?

Hugo <Nabble>
Currently it is not possible to use google custom search for just one forum. This should be available in two months, when we release the custom domain name feature, which will let you change the URL of your forum to something like www.myforum.com.

RE: Custom Google Search Engine integration with nabble forums?

jasonray
excellent, thanks Hugo

Re: Custom Google Search Engine integration with nabble forums?

Google Custom Search is now possible with Nabble, see:
http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Custom-Domain-Names-tp4940138p4940138.html

Re: Custom Google Search Engine integration with nabble forums?

jasonray
very exciting, thanks Hugo!

Re: Custom Google Search Engine integration with nabble forums?

Galaxy Outreach
Hello all,

Are custom domain names required for Google Custom Search Engines, or even Google search to work?  I've got a Google CSE set up for my forums, but it is not finding most things.  Search for
  "SFTP" in http://galaxy.psu.edu/search/mailinglists/
     using Google CSE,
     finds 1 thread
  "SFTP" directly in a forum http://galaxy-users-list-archive.2308625.n4.nabble.com/,
     finds 4 threads
  "site:http://galaxy-users-list-archive.2308625.n4.nabble.com/ SFTP" at Google.com
     finds 1 thread

So, it looks like Google is only crawling a small portion of the forums.  The forums and the search engines have been up since last year.

Thanks,

Dave C.

Re: Custom Google Search Engine integration with nabble forums?

Galaxy Outreach
Just refreshing the thread.  Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Thanks in advance,

Dave C.

Re: Custom Google Search Engine integration with nabble forums?

GregChapman
I confess that I gave up on Google Custom Search for my (small scale) web sites. I found that Google just wasn't spidering my site regularly or deeply enough to be effective.

I have turned to Atomz for site searches.

Two caveats:
1. I have not tried it on a Nabble forum, as I find that Nabble's internal forum search works very well for that.

2. Where I have an embedded forum within a site, I have not yet tried to add a further domain to my Atomz settings to make it search both the main site and embedded forum.

Re: Custom Google Search Engine integration with nabble forums?

Hi,
I don't know exactly why, but google is taking too long to index your site. You could try to put some links to your forum in your main site.

Re: Custom Google Search Engine integration with nabble forums?

Galaxy Outreach
Greg, Pedro,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll try Pedro's first, and if that doesn't give me joy, then I'll take a close look at Atomz.

If I find something that works, I'll post the solution here.

Dave C.