Create A Link @ Bottom Of Pages?

Gary Lewis
Is there a way to create a link at the bottom of all forum pages that goes back to the main page?  I'm being told that it is difficult to find the way to the main forum from some of the nested ones.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Create A Link @ Bottom Of Pages?

GregChapman
I guess this is a complaint from Android users using the default Chrome browser, which lacks an easy way to return to the top of the page. I read that IOS users don't have the problem as they have a feature built in to allow a jump to the top of a page.

It also isn't a problem on laptops/desktops as a user only has to tap the HOME key on their keyboards and they jump to the top of the page where the forum's breadcrumb menu is available to make navigation around the app easy.

There are settings an administrator can make which might make things easier for Android users. The most obvious is to reduce the number of posts per page via:
Options > Application > Change Appearance > Preferences > Classic Topic Page
The default for a forum is 20, which is rather high for a forum where people write major essays with each post, or post a lot of large images.

However, if you want to get into editing NAML then try this over-ride for the topic_footer macro:

 <override_macro name="topic_footer">
        <n.breadcrumbs/>
        &nbsp;|&nbsp;
        <n.page_node.views show_text="true"/>
</override_macro>
You'll see than Line 3 replaces the default:
<n.page_node.return_to_link/>
with the same macro that produces the breadcrumb menu that you find in the top_bar macro. Note that the topic_footer macro is not used in all apps so, for example, it won't do anything to help those using the Blog, News and Gallery apps!

Re: Create A Link @ Bottom Of Pages?

Gary Lewis
Greg - Thanks much.  You are probably right as I do think the guy that asked for it is an Android user.  But a bunch of other members have Androids as well, so it is an issue for many of them.

Given that I could reduce the number of posts/page.  But, it seems that some of my new users and getting stuck in the New Members Start Here folder and don't see how to get back to the main page.

The structure is: Main Page/New Members Start Here/the new member's intro thread.

The top of each page has Bullnose Enthusiasts › New Members Start Here - Read The Guidelines & Post A Blurb About Yourself.  But the bottom of the page just has  Return to New Members Start Here - Read The Guidelines & Post A Blurb About Yourself.  In other words, it doesn't have the Bullnose Enthusiasts bit, which is the main page.

So is there a way to add that to the footer, just like the header has?
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Create A Link @ Bottom Of Pages?

GregChapman
Hi Gary,

I think I may have distracted you from the main issue by appearing to focus on Android's default browser as the problem. That's my fault! I wrote my previous answer without reminding myself about the detail of your forum. Having just done so, using my Android phone, I think I should have concentrated on more general usability issues, which are simply accentuated on small screen devices. Supposed shortcomings in Android's Chrome browser are almost a side issue.

I'll share a critique with you by email that we can work through together. There's lots of detail that's specific to your forum and I fancy all that users of this forum need is to be presented with the outcome and conclusions of our discussion.

In short, I feel another GregHelp article is in the making and there's no need to share its birth pains with those reading this topic - just the resulting recommendations.

Re: Create A Link @ Bottom Of Pages?

Gary Lewis
Oh Greg, I'm in.

I look forward to the email and certainly appreciate the help.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/