Closing Thread

Beautty
Hello there dear Nabble :-)

On our forums we have 'Application' forms. I was wondering if i can close/lock an Application (new topic made by user) as an owner after we have dealt with it and we do not wish any more replies to it and its there only for 'read'?
I know you have an option like 'Lock post' but unfortunately it only lockes what's been posted by the Author but not the actual Topic or Thread.

Thank you for the help

Re: Closing Thread

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Thanks for asking.

We actually had many previous discussions about this feature, as you probably noticed.

I have seen people reply to a thread when they shouldn't, so I assume you want this lock-down feature to prevent this, right?

The problem with locking down an entire thread is just that you may prevent a legitimate reply. It's like throwing baby away with the bathwater.

With a conventional forum, it allows such lock-down because it doesn't have a way to deal with wrongful replies (deletion is the only way). But with Nabble, you actually can. If you see a wrongful reply, as the forum owner, you can simply "Move" the post from the thread to the appropriate forum. This fixes the wrongful reply, yet still encourages user participation.

We are open to changing things if there is a valid case. With the lock down, for example, if it happens frequently, then I think it makes sense. But is it the case in your forums?

Re: Closing Thread

TheMachinimanator
I want to lock my instructions so no one argues. Can you just make a lock button?
Peace out. I own this shindig :D

Re: Closing Thread

Hugo <Nabble>
We will add this feature soon.

Re: Closing Thread

TheMachinimanator
does it take a long time to or is it just some html or some 0's and 1's here and there?
Peace out. I own this shindig :D

Re: Closing Thread

TheMachinimanator
sorry for double post but I cant find edit so.....
can I also lock a sub forum or have it so everyone can view it but only i can post and participate in that sub forum. you know, like instructions and stuff.
Peace out. I own this shindig :D

Re: Closing Thread

Hugo <Nabble>
Go to the "Options > Users > Who can view and post?" and select "Members can participate". Then go to "Options > Users > Who are members?" and add you as the only member of the sub-forum.
Fee

Re: Closing Thread

Fee
Being able to actually lock a thread to stop members posting on that thread would be brilliant.  I would really like that.

Re: Closing Thread

ArtShow
Locking threads is an excellent idea, some please just start spamming threads, and after a while...

moving and removing posts, banning spammers, locking topics

Graham Perrin
ArtShow wrote
Locking threads is an excellent idea, some please just start spamming threads, and after a while...
Owners and administrators of forums, don't forget:

a) easy to move a post
b) easy to remove
c) easy to ban.

Before aiming to lock a topic:

1. ask yourself: why is the reply misplaced?
2. if necessary: rearrange or create the proper place.

The combination of allowance + user-friendly placement
should keep users happy. Rushing to lock people out of places, creating dead ends, can cause unhappiness.

Discussion at <http://n2.nabble.com/-tp3217694p3443264.html>.

Peace,
Graham