Change forum box appearance

ivson
I got to Nabble through Wix.com. I began with Wix just before Christmas, and within a few days after Christmas, Wix had made major changes to the way its site operates and what it supports. Before that change, there was a fairly comprehensive support page for how to make changes to the Nabble forum box. That Nabble-support page is gone, and it appears that I cannot make any change thru Wix. Can you tell me how to make any changes, such as background color?

Re: Change forum box appearance

Pedro
Hi,
Could you give the url from your forum?

Re: Change forum box appearance

ivson
On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 07:19:19 -0500, Pedro <Nabble> [via Nabble Support]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> Could you give the url from your forum?

Web site:

http://www.lvrw.org/#!page3/cee5

Other data from Nabble:

http://tutors-talk.1002277.n3.nabble.com/

<a id="nabblelink" href="http://tutors-talk.1002277.n3.nabble.com/">Tutors Talk</a>
<script src="http://tutors-talk.1002277.n3.nabble.com/embed/f1"></script>

Re: Change forum box appearance

Pedro
I just logged on your site and could change appearance.
Log as admin -> Options -> application -> change appearance.

Re: Change forum box appearance

ivson
That was my next question: How do I add the admin ID to the forum? I don't
see any "Admin" link now.

> I just logged on your site and could change appearance.
> Log as admin -> Options -> application -> change appearance.
>

> -----
> My test forum .

Using Opera's mail client:
http://www.opera.com/mail/

Re: Change forum box appearance

GregChapman
ivson wrote
That was my next question: How do I add the admin ID to the forum? I don't
see any "Admin" link now.
By "Log as admin" Pedro means login using the email address and password that you used to create the forum.

That ID (the one you gave the username "J.D.Tutor") will automatically have Administrator rights in the forum, hence Pedro's shorthand "as admin".

Re: Change forum box appearance

GregChapman
I probably should have added that most administrators will create a second ID for themselves which they use to test that the forum works as intended for ordinary users.

This accounts for the instruction to log in with your administrator ID. If you login using an address that has only the permissions associated with those in the "Anyone" or "Registered" groups, then you will not see the appropriate options on your forum's menus.

At the moment your forum appears to be using all the default permissions so, for example, anyone can view and post to your forum. Most forum administrator's will want to restrict those posting to "Registered" users. However, as registering is in the hands of the user and cannot be controlled by a forum administrator, some will go further and want to restrict access to "Members". I have more information about this in a post at:
http://support.nabble.com/Moderating-free-forum-td6873076.html#a6873871

Re: Change forum box appearance

ivson
Very helpful. Thank you. But there are so many choices under both "Color" and "Preferences" that my first reaction as someone new to all this is knots in the stomach! So much to digest. Does Nabble provide a detailed guide as to what the various choices mean/refer to? I know I can experiment, but some kind of guide would help those knots!

We don't have it. If start trying use some color schemes, then, go changing small parts of your site to see how it looks like.

Re: Change forum box appearance

ivson
On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 11:21:31 -0500, Pedro <Nabble> [via Nabble Support]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We don't have it. If start trying use some color schemes, then, go
> changing
> small parts of your site to see how it looks like.

Too bad. Someone should consider creating such a guide.

But thanks for quick reply.

> -----
> My test forum .

Re: Change forum box appearance

ivson wrote
But there are so many choices under both "Color" and "Preferences" that my first reaction as someone new to all this is knots in the stomach!
As I said, it's best just to experiment. On colour, I suggest this approach:

Return to the default colours by clicking the "Restore Defaults" button at the bottom of the Colour dialogue. Then click the "Colour Schemes" button at the top left. A drop down list appears showing a number of named predefined colour schemes, starting with "Default". A horizontal bar shows the colours that will be used. You'll notice how that top horizontal row matches all the colours on the main dialogue working from top to bottom.

Click on any of the other colour schemes then click the "Apply" button to change the colours of your forum. (You can always restore the defaults if you don't like the result.) Then try to generate the various items mentioned in the list by creating different objects, that may have different backgrounds, text, links, borders, etc (i.e. create new topics, replies, insert images in some, and so on). After your various tests return to the main and topic screens, to see the results. Maybe you'll even encounter error and information boxes along the way!

You may find that some colours never appear as I believe some features may not be seen in a standard "Forum", but only in other applications, such as "News" or a "Blog".

If you want a highly customised colour scheme, you should be aware the codes in the colour boxes are hexadecimal numbers, representing the colours. With two digits (in the range 00-FF) each to represent the red, green and blue component of any colour. So bright red is shown as FF0000, bright green as 00FF00 and bright blue 0000FF. White is FFFFFF and Black 000000. You can enter any valid value you like in the boxes, (digits run from 0-9 and then the letters A-F) or by clicking in a colour box open a palette which you can click on to pick a colour.

On the preferences dialogue:
Having created your forum, what the items in the top section control should be obvious, except for:

Page Layout:
Selecting "Narrow" optimises a Forum's appearance (and some other applications) for a narrow window, removing the "Views" column displayed in the Home screen of each forum or sub-forum. In other applications (e.g. Blog, News and Gallery) it removes the sidebar.

In the "Topics per Page" section reduce the default number of posts for a Forum (35) to 10 and then post at least a dozen different new topics to see pagination taking effect.)

Of the three forms of display of the contents of topics posted (Classic, List and Threaded) only Classic has options you can select:

Picture Size:
Allows you to select a small avatar rather than the large one shown on this forum

Post per page:
Controls the number of replies shown to a new topic before pagination occurs

As the information indicates the final section only has an effect once you introduce sub-forums. Essentially, it changes the default view of your forum to "Topics" View" from "Main Page".

There's a lot more you can customise, but that requires some knowledge of CSS (cascading stylesheets). See some of my stuff at:
http://www.seahawk17.plus.com/forum.htm (A Mixed application, with mainly forums as sub-applications)
or
http://www.gregafloat.plus.com/blog/index.html (A News application, set to "Narrow" so it loses the default sidebar.)

Re: Change forum box appearance

ivson
Greg,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this reply. Some of the technical items you
refer to I'm familiar with -- altho a bit rusty. A dozen years ago or so I taught Web
design, including CSS. But it's been a few years since I've done any of that teaching,
and -- before I got started with Wix -- several years since I had my own site.

A friend referred me to Dreamweaver. Using Dreamweaver will require a lot more
work, but I think the possibilities with it are greater than with Wix. Maybe not. So
I"m exploring Dreamweaver, too.

And, lest I forget, looking at the forum and blog from those two links you included
definitely  widens my perspective!

J...

ivson wrote
[...]

Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!

http://support.nabble.com/Change-forum-box-appearance-tp7588993p7589025.html
To unsubscribe from Change forum box appearance, click here.
NAML

Re: Change forum box appearance

Thank you very very much, Greg.
My test forum.