Cannot Turn Off Email Subscription via Personal Settings (??)

Cannot Turn Off Email Subscription via Personal Settings (??)

JBWolverine
This post was updated on .
In the past day or two, it appears that the "Alert me by email when someone replies to my message" has been checked for posts to our private forum.

There used to be a setting that would allow this function to be turned off so as to not generate emails for the forum member. (See the "tip" below that was posted on our forum in September 2009).

How can a member customize his/her setting to turn off the check mark for the "Alert me by email when someone replies to my message"

Thank you

--JB

from September 2009:

When you create or reply to a message on Nabble. please notice the check box labelled "Alert me by email when someone replies to my message" at the bottom of the message box.  If it is checked, you will get an email each time someone replies to your message-- which could fill your email box real quick.

You can turn off the "alert me by email when someone replies to my message" by going to your NABBLE profile (in the advanced options) and turning off the default setting there
.

Re: Cannot Turn Off Email Subscription via Personal Settings (??)

arrow
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Cannot Turn Off Email Subscription via Personal Settings (??)

JBWolverine
If I understand the situation correctly, the default of having the "Alert me by email when someone replies to my message" box checked as the general setting is to allow non-members of a forum to follow posts on the forum.

This makes sense if the forum is PUBLIC.  However, it should not apply if the forum is PRIVATE.

PRIVATE forum members should have an personal settings override for the "Alert me by email when someone replies to my message" box so that they can turn it off for all of their posts, if desired.

--JB

Re: Cannot Turn Off Email Subscription via Personal Settings (??)

Hugo <Nabble>
We reverted that change because it brought confusion. So the checkbox will be disabled by default from now on.
JBWolverine wrote

Sorry, but you misunderstood it. That checkbox allows any user to receive new posts in the related topic by email. So if the user was allowed to post, then he/she has read and write permissions on that forum. In other words, it does not matter if the forum is public or private because the user already has access to it. If the administrator decides to ban a user that had such checkbox checked, that user will not receive new posts by email.

Re: Cannot Turn Off Email Subscription via Personal Settings (??)

JBWolverine
Thank you for the reversion to the unchecked box and the explanation of how the function works.

Most of all, thank you for the quick response to solving the problem.

--JB