Can you archive a SourceForge forum? (not maillist)

Can you archive a SourceForge forum? (not maillist)

BenoitX
Hi

1/ Is it possible to archive a sourceforge forum like:

2/ is it possible to consolidate it with a email list as well?
we also have flatpack-user as a maillist.

Many thanks and great tool!

Benoit

Re: Can you archive a SourceForge forum? (not maillist)

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
BenoitX wrote
1/ Is it possible to archive a sourceforge forum like:
Sorry, no, we don't have this yet. Maybe we'll add a feature to mirror a forum someday, if more people ask for it.

BenoitX wrote
2/ is it possible to consolidate it with a email list as well?
we also have flatpack-user as a maillist.
You can archive the mailing list on nabble which works like a forum. So, you get a mailing list and a forum and they are in synch.

By the way, I noticed that you have several archives on Nabble. Do you know that you can create a parent forum and put those archives from the same project under the parent node? This allows your project users to browse and search the lists from one place. An example of this is: http://www.nabble.com/R-f13819.html

Re: Can you archive a SourceForge forum? (not maillist)

BenoitX
Hi Will,

>By the way, I noticed that you have several archives on Nabble. Do you know that you can create a parent forum and put those archives from the same project under the parent node? This allows your project users to browse and search the lists from one place. An example of this is: http://www.nabble.com/R-f13819.html

That is a cool feature that could be used per project (ie flatpack dev and flatpack users). Could you point me where I could find info about how to create a parent forum or how to link existing archived forums to a parent? I've simply used the Archive A Forum.

I've just tried the "change parent" on StatSVN Developers and got this...

HTTP ERROR: 500

url=http://n2.nabble.com/catalog/ChangeParent.jtp?action=save&url=StatSVN&forum=161  user-agent=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 referer=http://n2.nabble.com/catalog/ChangeParent.jtp?forum=161

RequestURI=/catalog/ChangeParent.jtp
Caused by:

fschmidt.util.servlet.JtpContextServlet$JtpRuntimeException: url=http://n2.nabble.com/catalog/ChangeParent.jtp?action=save&url=StatSVN&forum=161  user-agent=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 referer=http://n2.nabble.com/catalog/ChangeParent.jtp?forum=161
        at fschmidt.util.servlet.JtpContextServlet.handleException(JtpContextServlet.java:552)
        at fschmidt.util.servlet.JtpContextServlet.service2(JtpContextServlet.java:488)
        at fschmidt.util.servlet.JtpContextServlet.service(JtpContextServlet.java:291)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)
        at org.mortbay.servlet.WelcomeFilter.doFilter(WelcomeFilter.java:61)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:726)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:206)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:842)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:648)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector$Connection.run(SocketConnector.java:228)
        at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:450)
Caused by: java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
        at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1768)
        at nabble.view.web.catalog.ChangeParent.service(ChangeParent.java:70)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
        at fschmidt.util.servlet.JtpContextServlet.service2(JtpContextServlet.java:486)
        ... 20 more

Thanks

Benoit

Re: Can you archive a SourceForge forum? (not maillist)

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi BenoitX,

You should provide the parent forum URL in the "Change parent" screen.
In your case, enter http://n2.nabble.com/StatSVN-f1260.html.

The error you found was caused by the wrong input "StatSVN" in that screen. By the way, we have fixed it and we will show a better message.

After you finish moving your forums to the new parent, you may consider changing the format of the parent forum. You can try the "Bulletin Board Page" and "Bulletin Category Page" to see which one is better for your case. I believe that the "Bulletin Category Page" will be best (but you should decide that).

Please let me know if you have more questions, comments or concerns.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: Can you archive a SourceForge forum? (not maillist)

Gili
Will <Nabble> wrote
BenoitX wrote
1/ Is it possible to archive a sourceforge forum like:
Sorry, no, we don't have this yet. Maybe we'll add a feature to mirror a forum someday, if more people ask for it.
I am interested in this feature as well. SourceForge's forums are clunky!

Re: Can you archive a SourceForge forum? (not maillist)

IT gopher
Sourceforge forums are, indeed, clunky but the problem is that, with time, they accumulate a lot of valuable information that is difficult to walk away.

If Nabble offered a way to archive those, you could win a lot of support from frustrated Sourceforge users.

I myself would be interested in that as well.

Regards,
IT gopher

Re: Can you archive a SourceForge forum? (not maillist)

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Thanks for the suggestion. If SF allows export, then we can import. There is nothing we can do if they don't allow export.

You can always run two forums at the same time, for example, embed a nabble forum in the SF page, and have a link in the forum description to go to the old forum. People who need to search old forums can still do it at the old forum.