Can we move my forum?

Coleen_Astalos
I've paid for support to see if I can get this issue resolved.

The lack of digests is killing my group.  I have about 800 members and over 60% of them are subscribed to digest.  So this is becoming a major problem for me with 500+ members not receiving their daily digests since 8/20.

With the problems on the N5 server (no digests and still slow when I search for a member), is it possible to have my forum moved to a different server?   http://sudsol.1100894.n5.nabble.com/ http://forum.sudsol.org/

I know this means I'll need to make a DNS change on my server, but that could be completed quicker than trying to figure out why the digests aren't going out.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Coleen

Re: Can we move my forum?

Hugo <Nabble>
We moved your forum to the n7 server, http://sudsol.1100894.n7.nabble.com
Please test it and feel free to make the DNS changes.

Re: Can we move my forum?

Hugo <Nabble>
I forgot to mention that the old forum is still available. Once you have moved the DNS and everything else, we can delete the old one. Please let me know.

Re: Can we move my forum?

Coleen_Astalos
Can you set the n7 forum http://sudsol.1100894.n7.nabble.com to not redirect as I think when I go there, I'm just being sent back to my n5 forum due to the redirect.

I'm also assuming that any posts that come in until the DNS change is made will be going to the N5 server and lost on the n7 server, correct?

Coleen

Re: Can we move my forum?

Hugo <Nabble>
You must update the embedding script in your website. Replace the n5 in the URL with n7 and it should work smoothly.
Coleen_Astalos wrote
I'm also assuming that any posts that come in until the DNS change is made will be going to the N5 server and lost on the n7 server, correct?
Yes, that's correct. How many posts do you think will be lost?

Re: Can we move my forum?

Coleen_Astalos
I guess I need a little more help.  Here are the places I thought were affected and how I thought they worked:

1) On the forum itself - Options, Embedding Options - on my n5 forum this is set to:

I thought this points anyone who goes to the http://sudsol.1100894.n5.nabble.com/  to http://sudsol.org/member/discussion-forum/ instead (which in my case requires them to login to my site see the forum).

Since the N7 is a copy of the N5, the redirect is also set the same way.  So I thought by removing the redirect for the n7 server then I'd be able to get to it to test it out.  But I can't get there to change it as it always redirects me back to my embedded page.  So that is what I was asking for you to do.  Is that not correct?

2) The DNS CNAME - on my server which looks like this:

Which connects forum.sudsol.org (my embedded forum) to the n5.nabble.com server - I will make this DNS change once I've been able to access & test out the forum on the n7 server.

3) The page I have my forum embedded in (http://sudsol.org/member/discussion-forum/) which has this embed code:
<script type="text/javascript">// <![CDATA[
nabble_scroll_top = true;
// ]]></script>

Which embeds the forum onto my website.  I don't think I need to make any changes here as it goes to the forum.sudsol.org site - which after the DNS name change propagates will go to the n7 server instead of the n5 server.

What am I missing?
Thanks,
Coleen

Re: Can we move my forum?

Hugo <Nabble>
Okay, I understand now and your embedding script is correct. I removed the redirect from the n7 forum so now you can test it. Once everything is fine, you can change the DNS and reset the redirect.

Re: Can we move my forum?

Coleen_Astalos
Thanks.  I've submitted the DNS change and we'll wait until everything goes thru and is working (including seeing the digests are coming out) before we delete the old forum.

I didn't think about the fact that the email addresses for each of the categories would change - kind of a pain for my members.  So I want to make sure the digests are coming out on the N7 server and it wasn't some other problem that was introduced before we get rid of the old one.

There were only a handful of posts that needed to be moved, so I just reposted them and I set it so that members can't post to the old forum anymore.

Coleen

Re: Can we move my forum?

Coleen_Astalos
Is there any way to send an email to every member (only those in the Members group) with their email addresses for each section of the forum?

My users are pretty computer illiterate and so when they subscribe to our site we provide them with their email addresses for each section of the forum (most interact via email vs on the website).

Since the move of the forum to the n7 server impacted all those email addresses, it would be nice if there was a way that I could send out a mass mailing with the information for each user.

Let me know.
Thanks,
Coleen

Re: Can we move my forum?

Hugo <Nabble>
Sorry, we don't have an easy way of doing that.

Have you compared the new email addresses with the old ones? I believe the only difference will be the n5 -> n7 change, but I am not sure. If this is correct, then all you have to do is ask your users to replace "n5" with "n7" in the address and they are good to go.

Re: Can we move my forum?

Coleen_Astalos
I don't think it's that simple with the addresses.  I looked at  a few today, but wanted to go back to check to be sure.  But now I can't get to the old forum <a href="http:// http://sudsol.1100894.n5.nabble.com/">http://sudsol.1100894.n5.nabble.com/ anymore.  It just takes me to the Nabble main page.  You haven't gotten rid of it yet have you?  I want to make sure we get digests tonight on the n7 forum before deleting the n5 one.

Is there a way to export the category addresses?  I could set up a mail merge to send it out to each member.
Coleen

Re: Can we move my forum?

Hugo <Nabble>
I removed the custom domain name from your old forum so that you can access it again: http://sudsol-old.1100894.n5.nabble.com/

What do you mean by category addresses? Email addresses or links/URLs?

Re: Can we move my forum?

Coleen_Astalos
Email addresses for each category that a member would send their email to when starting a new topic.
Coleen

Re: Can we move my forum?

Hugo <Nabble>
The email address of each category is different for each user.
Have you checked if the emails are the same as before, except the n5->n7 change?

Re: Can we move my forum?

Coleen_Astalos
Yes, I did confirm the email addresses are the same just the n5 changes to n7 - so that makes it much easier for my members!  At this point I think we're good.  We did get digests last night.  Please hang onto the n5 until Tuesday - just in case, then you can delete it.  I'll email you to let you know when I'm ready for it to be deleted.
Thanks,
Coleen

Re: Can we move my forum?

Coleen_Astalos
We talked about deleting SUDSOL from the n5 server today.  But we updated the post_via_email macro for the bounced message to remind members to update the email addresses from n5 to n7.

Is it possible to keep it set up for a month or so (you could delete the postings if you needed space), but we'd like to make sure that emails sent to the n5 server forum get the customized bounced message.

Let me know if that's ok.
Thanks,
Coleen

Re: Can we move my forum?

Hugo <Nabble>
I think that's okay. You can let me know when you want it deleted.