Can't reply via email?

tdlnx
Hi,

When I get an email notification from the forum, replying to the email results in getting a failure message stating:

    ml+s187312n2h46@n8.nabble.com

You can't post by email to a mailing list archive.

If that's not an option how am I supposed to reply to posts/messages via email?

Re: Can't reply via email?

GregChapman
Try clicking on the link in the footer to visit the archive and post there.

In 99.9% of mail list archives you will have to be a subscriber to the list itself to be able to post via the archive so why not reply to the mail list's own message anyway.

Mail list archives are supposed to be archives of past messages so you can see past traffic from before you came a subscriber and as a way of finding out if its content is relevant to your need.

Re: Can't reply via email?

tdlnx
Right,

but the email even says "If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:" so how come replying to the email returns an error stating that I can't post? I'm a member of the list. Isn't the whole point of the nabble forum so you can read/post via email OR the forum?

Re: Can't reply via email?

GregChapman
That's the standard wording in a Nabble email footer.  Unfortunately, it's not always true.

In part it can depend on what macros the forum owner has edited, but in the case of a mail list archive it can also depend on the security measures taken by the list owner rather than archive owner.

If you search Nabble Support you will find that some mail lists reject Nabble emails because of DMARC issues. I'm not an expert on some of this stuff, but it will help Nabble if you can report the URL of the archive so they can investigate further.

Re: Can't reply via email?

tdlnx
I'm the list and archive owner and I haven't edited any macros. I think maybe Nabble just isn't going to work for what I'm wanting. Ii can't reply via forum because I can't even see or scroll to the reply button, and I can't reply to notifications via email and have them post in the forum archive, and those are two pretty critical functions.

Re: Can't reply via email?

GregChapman
If you can't see or scroll to the reply button I'm guessing the forum is embedded in a web site somewhere the the site is poorly formatted.

You'll need to post the URL if anyone is to investigate the issue.

Re: Can't reply via email?

tdlnx
Here's a link to the other topic about the reply issue:

http://support.nabble.com/Can-t-see-the-full-reply-page-td7604804.html

Re: Can't reply via email?

GregChapman
You'll see I have responded in the topic you mention, but what I did see a couple of hours ago did satisfy me that the problem is with the page in which you had embedded your forum - though I did not spend enough time to find why your forum display with a limited height.

If your username is your true email address then I would also recommend that you change it, so you don't find your account harvested by spammers.