Can a child forum become a grandchild?

Graham Perrin
Giving names to the forums, for fun:

Parent forum = Peter

Children, sub-forums = siblings Charlie, Doris, Ethel, Fred and Graham.

Question: can Graham become a child (not a sibling) of Charlie?

Expressed another way: can Graham become a grand-child of Peter?

Expressed another way: can a collection of threads (a container, if you like) be moved?

The third expression of that one question seems to be answered under point 2 of
<http://n2.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=43>.

I see also <http://n2.nabble.com/Suggestion%3A-Advanced-forum-editing-td220913.html> and as my guide I have <http://n2.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=24> but to begin with, I'm experimenting to see whether a limited hierarchy of forums — one that is reasonable — can be changed without too much difficulty if, at a later date, there arises a genuine need to do so.

I don't imagine great-grandchildren but a move from sibling to child, or vice versa, seems a reasonable use case.

TIA for any advice
Graham

Re: Can a child forum become a grandchild?

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi Graham,

To move a forum, click on "Options > Structure > Advanced options".
What you meant is the option "Set Parent to Another Forum". Note that a forum can only have one parent at a time.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Set Parent (of forum) to Another Forum

Graham Perrin
Hugo, thanks for translating!

Excellent.

Parallel to this thread, I read the question at <http://n2.nabble.com/New-sub-forum-logistics-tp220909p221439.html>:

> why you wouldn't want the parent owner to be a co-owner of whatever forums are produced under it

and I like the fact that I can (if necessary) change parentage without fear of change to access controls.

(If co-ownership was inherited, then a change of parentage/inheritance that lacked careful planning might have unexpected consequences.)

Again, I love the way that Nabble offers what's required without excessive complication :)