Can We Schedule An HTTPS Flip-The-Switch?

Can We Schedule An HTTPS Flip-The-Switch?

Gary Lewis
Raven - Greg is helping me get my head around everything that I need to do to go "S".  And the latest round with David has helped as well.

But, I'm wondering if we can schedule a time for you to flip the switch?  I'm not ready, but am just exploring an idea.  If so, and depending on the time zone you are in (I'm in Central), perhaps it could be done with minimal outage, like during the night in the US?

Thoughts?  Suggestions?
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Can We Schedule An HTTPS Flip-The-Switch?

There's no real need for a scheduled switch. You the forum owner can control when you force https on your site/forum.

What happens is that once Raven flips the switch both http and https become available and will work site by side. People either request a page is delivered encrypted or not depending on whether they add the s to the URL or not.

That's what my Step 7 is all about. You choose when to add the code to your site that says regardless of the request you'll be sent the page encrypted. (I do that by adding some code to an .htaccess file. Check whether as a Weebly user you have the facility to use .htaccess files or an equivalent facility.)

Time for bed!

Re: Can We Schedule An HTTPS Flip-The-Switch?

GregChapman
Forget the bit about .htaccess!

You decide when to turn the Weebly default (https) back on! You can do that any time after Raven says your forum is https enabled. Even after he flips the switch everything will continue to respond to http requests until you tell Weebly that it should only deliver your pages via https in future.

There is nothing time critical about it.

Cool!  I'll await your 7-step explanation and then go through them, step by step.  (Although I've already done several of the first steps.)  We shall test it out.

Raven<Nabble>
I don't think scheduling is going to happen, I agree with Greg best to get everything in order beforehand for a smooth switch.

Re: Can We Schedule An HTTPS Flip-The-Switch?

Gary Lewis
Ok, thanks.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/