CSS gone from my Forums

Harvey
All my CSS seems to be gone.

https://forum.nyskiblog.com/

Any ideas on how to help?

ETA:  the CSS file is still in place.

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

straznik_forum
Customizations and CSS can be restored and bugs fixed. At least I managed to do it myself (in my forum http://multi-forum.46349.x6.nabble.com/).

1. You need to enter the "Edit this page" tab (right, bottom corner of the forum).
2. Click "Go to NAML Editor".
3. and one by one "rename", restore all files (from the list on the left). The "Rename" button is used for this.
4. Save the changes "Save Changes".

Note: I recommend that you save a backup copy of the forum first, in case something goes wrong.

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

Harvey
I am getting this error.

All but two of the macros turned "red" when I hit rename, it's the two at the top.

Error
no macro found to override
in (custom_tweak:menu_post_by_email:1) -
Full Stack Trace
nabble.naml.compiler.Program$5.compute(Program.java:176)
nabble.naml.compiler.Program$5.compute(Program.java:161)
fschmidt.util.java.FutureValue$1.call(FutureValue.java:11)
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
fschmidt.util.java.FastFuture.run(FastFuture.java:21)
fschmidt.util.java.FutureValue.get(FutureValue.java:16)
nabble.naml.compiler.Program.macros(Program.java:238)
nabble.naml.compiler.Compiler.(Compiler.java:63)
nabble.naml.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:58)
nabble.naml.compiler.Program$1.get(Program.java:88)
nabble.naml.compiler.Program$1.get(Program.java:84)
fschmidt.util.java.Memoizer$1.call(Memoizer.java:30)
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
fschmidt.util.java.FastFuture.run(FastFuture.java:21)
fschmidt.util.java.Memoizer.get(Memoizer.java:37)
nabble.naml.compiler.Program.getTemplate(Program.java:280)
nabble.naml.compiler.Program.getTemplate(Program.java:256)
nabble.view.web.template.NamlEditor.save(NamlEditor.java:160)
nabble.view.web.template.NamlEditor$Save.service(NamlEditor.java:288)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
nabble.view.lib.JtpContextServlet.service2(JtpContextServlet.java:440)
nabble.view.lib.JtpContextServlet.service(JtpContextServlet.java:311)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:565)
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1360)
org.eclipse.jetty.servlets.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserAgentFilter.java:77)
org.eclipse.jetty.servlets.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:144)
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1331)
cachingfilter.CachingFilter.doFilter(CachingFilter.java:128)
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1331)
fschmidt.util.servlet.BadBotFilter.doFilter(BadBotFilter.java:74)
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1331)
fschmidt.util.servlet.ConnectionLimitFilter.doFilter(ConnectionLimitFilter.java:94)
nabble.view.lib.NabbleConnectionLimitFilter.doFilter(NabbleConnectionLimitFilter.java:26)
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1331)
nabble.view.lib.NabbleErrorFilter.doFilter(NabbleErrorFilter.java:21)
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1331)
fschmidt.util.servlet.PatternRedirectFilter.doFilter(PatternRedirectFilter.java:60)
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1331)
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:477)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:225)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1031)
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:406)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:186)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:965)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:250)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:149)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:111)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:349)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection.handleRequest(AbstractHttpConnection.java:449)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(AbstractHttpConnection.java:925)
org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:857)
org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:235)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.AsyncHttpConnection.handle(AsyncHttpConnection.java:76)
org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.handle(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:609)
org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint$1.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:45)
nabble.model.Executors$1$1.run(Executors.java:27)
fschmidt.util.executor.ThreadTimer$1.run(ThreadTimer.java:18)
fschmidt.util.executor.AbstractThreadPool$1.run(AbstractThreadPool.java:29)
java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

GregChapman
Hi Harvey,

I've just looked on the heavily customised forum I have on the x6 server and I get the same
no macro found to override
in (custom_tweak:post_by_email_link:1) -
error message as you. However, I do not see any red flagged macros in my list. I certainly don't get the results that straznik_forum reports achieving.

Currently, things are definitely very hit and miss. Each server is behaving differently. In terms of the customisations one of my forums on the n3 server appears near normal, but there's still some weirdness and others display none of the customisations.

Almost all my forums on all servers have the Preference: "Classic topic page > Picture size" set small but this is disregarded. Similarly, all font and colour preferences are ignored on most servers.

Of course we have been warned for some time that embedded forums are not working properly and that there is no date set to see them fixed, but the current problems appear to be bugs introduced at the same time as withdrawal of the post-by-email facility - but don't ask me why they should be related.

It all appears to be part of the strategy to encourage people to leave the service so it can be reduced to serving the owner's personal needs. As users, I accept that we can't complain too loudly as it appears all attempts to derive any income from the service appear were abandoned a while ago and this was made public on the Support forum.

Nevertheless, I would have found it more reasonable had a clear roadmap had been issued with six months notice (minimum) given of exactly what aspects of the service would be induced on what dates, so that each administrator had the opportunity to plan a transfer to other platforms.

Only posting a week's notice on the Support Forum and failing to email notice to all administrators seems unreasonable to me. There doesn't even seem to have been a plan to sell on the hosting of Nabble to another provider or negotiate a migration plan for forum administrators with another platform. There must be some income to be derived from either of these options?

In short, there seems to be little care or concern for users from Nabble's owner and we are left facing the situation that we now find ourselves in.

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

Harvey
Mine are no longer embedded and I am willing to lose my customizations.

I just want the colors and basics to match.

Can I delete the customizations?

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

Harvey
I would pay something to get my CSS back and have a way to host it myself.

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

GregChapman
In my case all the code and settings still show in my forums under the "Change Appearance" toolbar. It's just that they have no effect.

And while I claimed, in another topic that one of my forums on the n3 server seemed to have returned to near normal appearance, that does not seem to be happening this morning.

In short, there seems to be little care or concern for users from Nabble's owner and we are left facing the situation that we now find ourselves in.
That all sounds worrying GregChapman - just wish I knew where we could migrate to without losing all our years of work!

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

After years of trying I have accepted the fact that there is no way to migrate Nabble. I really wanted it.

I moved to Xenforo and had links to our "archives" ten years of Nabble.

I just want the colors to match, the white and blue is a disconnect and it looks very unprofessional.

Re: XF it's worth it. The control you have, and the support are excellent.  All the customizing I paid for on Nabble, (which is causing all my issues now,)is all built in in Xenforo.

Is this still a support forum?

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

sparkle
Harvey wrote
I moved to Xenforo and had links to our "archives" ten years of Nabble.
Is this still a support forum?
How do you work any archives Harvey?

So Nabble forum isn't able to be exported at all?

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

sparkle wrote
Harvey wrote
I moved to Xenforo and had links to our "archives" ten years of Nabble.
Is this still a support forum?
How do you work any archives Harvey?

So Nabble forum isn't able to be exported at all?
Take a look at the xf forum

https://nyskiblog.com/forum/

Look at the bottom for the link to nabble archives.

I had a very good developer looking at migration for a long time.

He said the format of nabble wasn't compatible with anything.   He told me it would be thousands of dollars to to do it all manually.   Many thousands.

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

sparkle
This post was updated on .
Thanks Harvey - please forgive my basic questions!

It looks like you have a load of stuff, plus images, in your archive - is that because Nabble is still supporting that section or is it hosted/saved somewhere else?  Looks like you are trying to move over special posts to save in the new forum - but I'm not sure I understand the instructions!

With things as they are I am trying to sort something out before maybe all my stuff from about 9 years is lost - and its not my field of expertise.  I do save a backup every so often but no idea what I could do with it!

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

That all sounds worrying GregChapman - just wish I knew where we could migrate to without losing all our years of work!
That's the trouble!

As Harvey, and others I have worked with, have found there is, no conversion utility available that allows migration to another forum platform.

I have resigned myself to doing what Harvey has done. I will lock my  forums to prevent further posting and create new forums on another platform to replace them.

I know that, at one stage, Harvey was manually moving keys posts across to his new platform, but it's not practical to move an entire high traffic forum that way.

How long Franklin will continue to host such archives is anyone's guess, but in my view the sooner one gets a good volume of posts on a new platform the better.

That's why I'm encouraging a discussion on alternatives on my GregHelp forum, where it can stay at the top of the forum rather than sink down the list of topics as it is likely to do on Nabble Support.

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

Harvey
We moved all of our "Trip Reports" for anyone who REJOINED he new forum:

https://nyskiblog.com/forum/trip-reports/

We are a skiing forum. And these are our ski days.

I moved a few other threads too.

Because there is no way to import the old forum you could only really do this for old members of nabble who joined the new forum. It would be odd to post something and not have it attributed to the proper author.  We didn't bring over too many of the responses, just the original posts.

XF has some great addons.  Features built by other developers. One Addon that was key was one that EASILY allows you to take an image hosted on nabble and transfer it to your own server. Now when Nabble goes down for good my images wont disappear.

Another Addon that was key allows you to EASILY change the author of any post.  I moved all the trip reports myself and changed the authors to the original.

I recommend all, move to Xenforo. The first year was $155 (I think, I forget) and following years are $55.

The cost of free is just too high.

In total forums are generally dying but one f XF is growing because as Nabble and some of the big guys are folding up there tents, smart admins are moving to XF.

IF ANYONE AT NABBLE IS LISTING: I will pay real money to ditch my customization, get my CSS working and move the hosting to me.  HELP.

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

Gary Lewis
I am going to open up a discussion on GregHelp later today about this.  But for now...

Last year when Franklin explained about the future of Nabble I started working with Greg and Pedro, who used to be a sys admin on Nabble, to come up with our own instance of Nabble just to run our own forums.  Not as a service to offer to others as I do not want to go into business.  (I'm retired from IT and don't want to go back there.)

Here we are a year later and we got SO close.  Had our backups loaded but Pedro couldn't solve some issues with email notifications.  So we appealed to Franklin and Filimonov volunteered to bring up an instance of Nabble with the email issues solved.  He didn't do it on my AWS servers, but did it on his servers.  Pedro is now going to clone that and bring it up on my AWS serrvers.  And since it is an older version of Nabble it will not have the latest changes in it.

I say all of that to say that I will consider allowing others to upload their Nabble backups of locked forums onto the servers.  Or, if there is enough need, maybe even active forums.

Again, I do not want to go into business, but I'm seeing a crying need for something.  And we are so close to being "there", so it seems a shame not to consider it.

But, this would be a static environment.  No changes to Nabble unless there is a need and there would be plenty of warning.  And, there's basically no support.  I don't know how to do much of anything, so you'd be on your own like I will be.  However, I seriously want to keep my forum running, so would fight to make sure this environment is stable.

And, there would be a cost.  I don't want to be making money, but it would be nice to recover some of my costs for the servers, email systems, etc.

More later, and especially on GregHelp.  But you can let me know what you think here.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

sparkle
I shall keep an eye on your GregHelp page.

If I could save the old forum somewhere just for reference it would be good -and then start a new one up somewhere else.

I currently have it embedded in a blogger blog.

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

Harvey
sparkle wrote
I currently have it embedded in a blogger blog.
That was how I started. One summer day in 2007 I googled "free forum for blogger blog" and I found nabble.

If I had know it would succeed I would have use a more robust product.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

Gary Lewis
I posted in GregHelp about this.  Please take a look and let me know what you think: http://greghelp.991552.n3.nabble.com/Options-for-Stand-Alone-Forums-tp4012857p4012862.html
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

GregChapman
Oops!

I've moved Gary's post. It's now at:
http://greghelp.991552.n3.nabble.com/Alternative-Hosts-for-Nabble-Apps-tp4012863p4012862.html

Re: CSS gone from my Forums

Gary Lewis
No "oops", but thanks.

Y'all come over and let's discuss the options.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/