Bullets and lists

Nalicter
Is there any code for creating bulleted lists on Nabble? This would be very useful, I think.

Re: Bullets and lists

indonewyork
yeah, I agree, that would be cool to create some lists

Re: Bullets and lists

a_priori

If you use Firefox you could install the Xinha extension which allows you to do rich text/HTML editing by simply right-clicking on the text area and choosing to open the extension. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1449

  • list 1
  • list 2
  • list 3

Re: Bullets and lists

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Thanks for the note. Maybe at a certain point we should have a "More tools..." link in the Compose page to list some good third-party tools.

Re: Bullets and lists

Nalicter
Anyone know how to type this character in Firefox on Gnome (Linux) without having to go to the character map?

There doesn't seem to be a method with the compose key.

If I could input this on demand, it would solve the issue. I prefer character bullets to the ones that don't copy as normal text.

And, what is the Nabble code to do bulleted lists like you did above?

Re: Bullets and lists

a_priori
This post was updated on .
Just type the following wherever you want a bullet.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't answer your key combo question:

On Linux, just hold Control and Shift while tapping U, then type 2022 and press Enter to insert a •

Re: Bullets and lists

Nalicter
Awesome! I didn't know you could input things by their Unicode number directly. I only knew about the compose key, language layouts (and then the Windows methods).

Here are some of my favorite characters that I have trouble producing with the compose key (just since you got me excited):
Ð = 00d0
ð = 00f0
… = 2026
• = 2022
⁋ = 204b

What do you call this method?

Anyway, so, I tried out that the other code for the bullet and it also makes one that can be copied/pasted. How were those ones coded in that post above, out of curiosity? I've tried doing HTML lists, but they haven't seemed to work.

I'm not familiar with BBC code, though. Let me try that and see if it works (I just looked it up):

[list]
[*]Item 1
[*]Item 2
[/list]

Nope. That didn't work. Let's try the HTML way again for good measure:

<ul>
<li>Item 1
<li>Item 2
</ul>

Yep. I wasn't hallucinating before. What method does that Firefox extension use? I guess I could get it and find out. Hopefully it works with my version.

I just tried it again after checking message is in HTML Format, and it worked. But, then I have to manually put in line breaks, or use <pre></pre>. I guess the Firefox extension must use that method, and just make it easy. Maybe I'll have to try it out.

Thanks for all your help!

Re: Bullets and lists

a_priori
I'm not really sure what that method is called, but it is very handy  I've been using Ubuntu for a while and I think someone on the Ubuntu forums told me about this method for using unicode characters.

This is what that extension uses, BTW.

<ul>
  <li>list 1</li>
  <li>list 2</li>
  <li>list 3</li>
</ul>

Re: Bullets and lists

Nalicter
Quite handy. This information will help me for eons to come, I'm sure.

Thank you very much for that and all the information!