Banning A User

cmp11
I just keep getting an error message, please help! He disrupts the forum.
Catherine Poole

Re: Banning A User

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Please give us the URL to the new post made by a banned user.

I can only guess ... What happened is that your forum allow Anonymous posting, so those banned user just post anonymously under their old user name. You can simply change the settings to disallow anonymous postings, this way you can control who can post who cannot.

Click Options->Users->Control Anonymous Users... you'll find the setting there.

Also, it looks like you have a very active forum. I would recommend that you change the structure of your forum a bit, and use the "Mixed view" format. One example is here: http://n2.nabble.com/As-The-World-Turns---Fan-Message-Board-f473519ef473519.html

It shows 6 most recent topics from each sub-forum, therefore exposing your actions more than the traditional phpBB type forum.

To do this, you will need to move the 3rd-level forums up to become direct child of your top level forum. For instance, go to the "Announcement" forum, http://n2.nabble.com/Announcements-f842349.html, then click Options->Structure->Advanced Options... select the radio button to "Set a new parent", then enter the permalink to the top level forum in the input box http://n2.nabble.com/Wallace-Voice-f842347.html - then save, this will move the "Announcement" up to be directly under "Wallace Voice".

Then you can do the same to "General Discussions" and "FAQ", then you can go to the top level "Wallace Voice", click Options->Change Format, to change the format to "Mixed View".

The last step is that you can delete the current 2nd-level forums, i.e. "News", "General", "Questions & Answers", as they are just empty placeholders.

Let me know if you have any questions. You may want to create a test forum and get a feel of how it works. Also, you may want to make changes to your forum at a time when users are not actively using it.

RE: Banning A User

cmp11

Will,

  The user name is WT.  If I forbid anonymous users, it will cut off my other legit posts.  I was able to ban him under other names, but not this WT.  I can’t find a URL associated with his post, but it is at: http://www.wallacevoice.com/forums.html

 I will look at the other info you sent. Thanks!

[...]

This email is a reply to your post @ http://n2.nabble.com/Banning-A-User-tp2239770p2240070.html

Catherine Poole

RE: Banning A User

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Here is the URL of all the posts by anonymous user named "WT" http://n2.nabble.com/user/UserNodes.jtp?anonymous=tervel-2819132&embedf=842347

You can remove those posts if you want to.

But you can't ban anonymous poster because you allow anonymous posting.

Regards,
Will

RE: Banning A User

cmp11

I turned off the register anonymous action, but still had a post last night, how do I look up who that was?  They must have registered, right?

Catherine Poole

RE: Banning A User

Graham Perrin
cmp11 wrote
I turned off the register anonymous action, but still had a post last night, how do I look up who that was?  They must have registered, right?
1. click the post

2. click the name of the person who posted

3. beneath their name: their date of registration.

Regards
Graham