Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email

Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email

Coleen_Astalos
When a user attaches an image to a message (instad of inserting it in the body of the email).  When the message comes via email it shows a missing image icon instead of the image like this:

instead of the thumbnail.

Any clues as to why and how to fix it?
Coleen

Re: Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email

Coleen_Astalos
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

RE: Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email

Coleen_Astalos
I looked at the HTML for the email message I get from the system with an email that has an attached file.  The HTML coding for the paperclip icon looks like this:

img border=0 id="_x0000_i1025" src="/images/icon_attachment.gif"

I believe the src field needs to be updated to explicitly state the entire URL (in my case: http://forum.sudsol.org/images/icon_attachment.gif) otherwise the various email clients don't know where to find the gif file.

I searched NAML for the string "icon_attachment" to correct this, but it must be in a portion that is not available to me.
Thanks,
Coleen

RE: Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email

Pedro
Hi, I couldn't reproduce this.
What I did:
posted a topic via email(gmail user) to my forum.
opened my aol user, forum's subscriber, and saw the post message.
The aol client blocks the images. It shows at the top an option like "show images", so I click and the default thumbnail icon for images is shown.

What have you done different?

RE: Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email

Coleen_Astalos

Pretty much the same thing. I wonder if it's because our forum is embedded on our own site?  I'm including a file attachment to this post so I can see if the emailed copy I get back from this forum (which is not embedded) shows the correct icon or a red x.

Coleen

Test attachment.docx (13K) Download Attachment

RE: Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email

Coleen_Astalos

Interesting, when I got my note back, it was actually an "Attached File" in my email instead of a link to the attachment in the message.  I would LOVE it if my forum worked that way (instead of making it a link at the bottom of the email).  This time I'm attaching a jpg file (instead of a word document) since that is what most of my users are sending - to see if that makes a difference in how the attachment is handled.

Coleen

posted a topic via email(gmail user) to my forum.
opened my aol user, forum's subscriber, and saw the post message.
The aol client blocks the images. It shows at the top an option like "show images", so I click and the default thumbnail icon for images is shown.

What have you done different?

http://support.nabble.com/Attached-pictures-showing-Red-X-next-to-attachment-in-Email-tp7588749p7589023.html

To unsubscribe from Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email, click here.
NAML

AfterDNSchange2.JPG (164K) Download Attachment

RE: Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email

Coleen_Astalos
In both test situations in the support forum, any attachment I sent via email showed up as an attachment to the subscription email (rather than a link at the bottom of the email to access it).

So how do I change my forum to work the same way?  That is what I'd really prefer (and gets rid of the problem of the Red X at the same time).

Coleen
AfterDNSchange2.JPG
(this message posted via the web with an uploaded file attached)

Please, post an image your test forum where I 'm subscribed. I want to see how it looks like.

RE: Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email

Pedro
I received like this:

Is there anything wrong?

RE: Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email

Coleen_Astalos

Yes.  Two things are wrong:

1)      The original problem I noted - look at the icon next to the attachment at the bottom - it's showing a broken link.
It is not showing the picture it should which is the paper with a red paperclip, like this:

2)      If we do the exact same emails on the Nabble support forum instead of my forum what I get is this:

Notice that the attachment is an actual attachment to the email (circled in red above), instead of just a link at the bottom of the email.

To show that, I'm attaching the same picture to THIS email so you can see how it comes across thru the Nabble support forum as an attachment to the email.  That is what I'd like for my forum to do - keep it as an attachment instead of turning it into a link that has to be clicked on that goes to the nabble site to be viewed.

Coleen

To unsubscribe from Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email, click here.
NAML

AfterDNSchange2.JPG (164K) Download Attachment

To unsubscribe from Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email, click here.
NAML

AfterDNSchange2.JPG (164K) Download Attachment

http://support.nabble.com/Attached-pictures-showing-Red-X-next-to-attachment-in-Email-tp7588749p7589038.html
To start a new topic under Nabble Support, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Nabble Support, click here.
NAML

--
Pedro Alberto Bento Gomes

att.jpg (78K) Download Attachment

RE: Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email

Coleen_Astalos

It came as a link at the end of the email:

Coleen

To unsubscribe from Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email, click here.
NAML

AfterDNSchange2.JPG (164K) Download Attachment

http://support.nabble.com/Attached-pictures-showing-Red-X-next-to-attachment-in-Email-tp7588749p7589038.html

To start a new topic under Nabble Support, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Nabble Support, click here.
NAML

--
Pedro Alberto Bento Gomes

att.jpg (78K) Download Attachment

http://support.nabble.com/Attached-pictures-showing-Red-X-next-to-attachment-in-Email-tp7588749p7589043.html

To unsubscribe from Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email, click here.
NAML

RE: Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email

Pedro
We don't send an attachment file to our subscription emails. The default set only sends the link to the file that is hosted in our server.
I not sure while you receive an attachment here when you post here.

One of our users, Harvey, made something in his forum that can solve all your problems. Instead of receiving the post via email, the subscribers receive a message telling about the new post with a link to it. This "force" the user to go to the web application, where everything is ok.

RE: Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email

Coleen_Astalos

Well, that's totally weird because my tests yesterday in the Nabble Support forum DID attach the attachments to the email - just like I wanted.  So what changed between yesterday and when you did your test this morning?   Is there a way that we can pass the attachment along in the subscription email? It only would need to be passed if it came in as an email to the system with an attachment, the system just turns around and sends it back out the same way (as an attachment).

Harvey's solution will not work for me.  The main reason we went to Nabble was because the text of the post was included in the email.  I knew that 90% of my members would use strictly email to communicate.  So when looking for solutions, I excluded any systems that just did notifications like Harvey's does.

Coleen

http://support.nabble.com/Attached-pictures-showing-Red-X-next-to-attachment-in-Email-tp7588749p7589050.html

attached_photo.JPG (19K) Download Attachment

RE: Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email

Pedro
Coleen_Astalos wrote
Well, that's totally weird because my tests yesterday in the Nabble Support
forum DID attach the attachments to the email - just like I wanted.  So what
changed between yesterday and when you did your test this morning?
We didn't change any thing. The correct way is to receive the download link, unfortunately we can't change that because it is not in NAML.
I don't understand how did you get an attach from this forum. Did you send a post with an attach and received your own message?

RE: Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email

Coleen_Astalos

Yes, I replied to an email from the forum.  I attached a picture to that email.  Since I’m subscribed to the thread, I got a copy of my post sent back to me and it had the file I attached as an attachment.  I'm attaching a file to this email to see what happens to it.

-Coleen

http://support.nabble.com/Attached-pictures-showing-Red-X-next-to-attachment-in-Email-tp7588749p7589054.html

snow.jpg (23K) Download Attachment

RE: Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email

Coleen_Astalos
Ok, so I figured out what happened.  I recently started running this email account thru gmail and apparently what I *thought* I received from the forum was actually a copy of my outgoing post (Not sure why Gmail decided to put that copy in my inbox - something to do with "Sending as a Alias" settings in Gmail).  Anyway, since it was a copy of what I sent, that would explain why I saw it as an attached file.  Sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase.

So back to the original problem of the broken link.  Can you search the code for where this file is referenced: src="/images/icon_attachment.gif"

This is the icon that is showing as a broken link.  I believe the problem is that the entire URL is not being specified as it needs to be in the email.  Works fine on the website.

So, we should keep the download at the bottom of the page but with this icon:  , right?

RE: Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email

Coleen_Astalos

Yes.  Is there is a way to move the download link to the top (above any text in the message)? My members would appreciate that as sometimes there are many replies to a topic (via email) so they have to scroll WAY down to find the link.

Coleen

http://support.nabble.com/Attached-pictures-showing-Red-X-next-to-attachment-in-Email-tp7588749p7589080.html

To unsubscribe from Attached pictures showing Red X next to attachment in Email, click here.
NAML

12